80 Series Hi-lift jack points? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellas, new guy. I tried the search and google, but havent found much.

Juat bought my first LC. 80 series with a SLEE front and 4x4 Labs rear bumper.

Seems like the corner of the SLEE in front of the wheel well is the best place for a hi-lift jack point on the front?

Not quite sure where to put it on the rear...lookalike it'll loft from the upper 1" rounded edge on the 4x4 labs, but looks sketchy. The holes on the corner of the rear bumper are too small for the hi lift I have to fit inside, and the back is too angled?

Any suggestions or pics you guys may have of recovery/tire repair with one of those bumpers, please share.

have you looked at using a strap or some sort of connection to towing points?

have you looked at using a strap or some sort of connection to towing points?

I haven't yet, no. I was kinda hoping folks with those specific bumpers might have an answer. The front seems easy, its the 4x4 labs rear bumper I cant seem to figure out a good spot to lift from.

I have a Slee rear and a Hefty (I think) front bumper. With my lift, I need a 60" Hi-Lift to change a tire. That's kind of scary getting that high so I use a (sorry for the profanity) JeepsNeeds shackle adapter to be sure it won't slip off.

Highlift, handyman or whatever the brand, these type of jacks are not meant to be used for tire changes. They are dangerous tools. They can easily injure or kill. I personally know a guy who suffered serious brain injury due to getting hit with a swinging handle. I came within a couple of millimeters of getting my jaw/face smashed by one myself years back. Plenty of stories of vehicles falling off of them. They are great tools when used carefully. Helpful for extractions and recoveries. But do not use them in lieu of a secure lifting jack for working under a rig or changing a tire.

Yep. I know people have done it . Lots. I have too. But you are betting against the odds when you do not have to.

(To be honest, for my uses, in my environment, I do not really consider them all that helpful for recoveries anymore. Once your rig grows up a little bit, even the 60 inch models really do not have the lift to make much difference. The 48 inchers are pretty pointless in my world. Other tools/methods of recovery and extraction work much better.)

Mark...

I totally agree with @Mark W about the dangers of lifting especially with a Hi Lift jack. The JeedNeeds DLA and spiking the base does do a lot for making sure (maybe helping is better) that it won't slip off. For the people that haven't seen a Hi Lift handle flip up (that's probably someone who's not used one long enough), you need to be sure to never take your hands off the hand until it's secure in the vertical position, ever. I'm guilty of this sin myself but trying to repent as the jack Will remind you.

Once it's lifted (however you did it) never ever ever... work on it without something else holding it up (tire, log, stable stack of rocks) and test that support by lowering weight on to it, especially if you intend to get under the vehicle. I carry a home made collapsible jack stand (another product for your suggestion box @LandCruiserPhil ). Maybe you're lucky enough to have one of the collapsible jack stands that @sleeoffroad never made or (forgive me @NLXTACY because I'm not sure I completely understand the joke) you could buy the one that Joey's wife would buy from Safe Jack:
Disclaimer; I've never seen that product but a few hundred dollars might not seem like much when 3 tons of truck is sitting on your chest.

LCP Jack Adapter can change a flat. :p

1574433480343.png

Phil, now you've got me worried about ever getting a flat on the road with my DD, Ram 5500. Didn't come with a jack so I got a bottle jack / stand combo that I checked would fit and lift it, but that was without a flat tire. Now I see your true genius.

Phil, now you've got me worried about ever getting a flat on the road with my DD, Ram 5500. Didn't come with a jack so I got a bottle jack / stand combo that I checked would fit and lift it, but that was without a flat tire. Now I see your true genius.
We also make adapters for hydraulic jacks that are not listed on our site p.m. me if interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom