80 Series Flip Windows: Just to prove that they do exist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great Odin's Raven!!! If these are ever made for the 100 series; I'm ALL in!!
Ravens. Huginn and Muninn. (Sorry, my wife is Norwegian and my son's name is Odin, could not resist. Play on.)

One side or the other is fine, but one thing that would be an issue is that since the ONLY place where there is room on the 80 body for the mechanical actuator is right where the rear marker light goes, it would be best to plug the non-operation side with the same actuator so that you don't end up with one marker light "out".

Instead of the actuator, which I imagine adds considerably to the cost, could you do a T-handle latch like utility cargo boxes have?
Does a solid aluminum panel raise the cost by much?
Is it gusseted in any way?
Could you do a sheet metal panel? I like the idea of being able to magnetically 'hook' things to it.

Out wheeling with some other 80s and found out that these exist! Totally want to pick a set up but I wonder about the above. Is it possible for any other way to open them? My rear side markers have tube in front of them.

They can be opened from the inside by pushing on the latches, or from the outside by way of the locking actuator.
The actuator does not need to be mounted in that specific location, it is just the bolt-in option. With another gasket set they could be mounted elsewhere and the cables are long enough to facilitate this. The inner body structure on the 80 series trucks severely limits actuator placement though.

The main design objective is for the window set to work with factory glass windows, tempered glass can not be drilled or modified in any way so the latch setup was developed to accommodate that.

Aluminum blank-out panels can be installed in place of the glass and are actually a little bit cheaper overall if you do not already have the factory solid glass. These could be steel, but they would be heavier than needed. They slip into place exactly the same way as the glass panels do, no design changes.

With solid (not glass) panels other latch options could be considered, but it would be a complete redesign and then that set would be limited to only solid, not able to work with either choosing, limited options down the road and limiting resale value. The only other acceptable latch option that I have found for this application would also cost more than the rotary catches and actuator setup that I use for the windows as they are. T handles are not an option for any land cruiser since they are a snag hazard and would catch on brush.

They can be opened from the inside by pushing on the latches, or from the outside by way of the locking actuator.
The actuator does not need to be mounted in that specific location, it is just the bolt-in option. With another gasket set they could be mounted elsewhere and the cables are long enough to facilitate this. The inner body structure on the 80 series trucks severely limits actuator placement though.

Aluminum blank-out panels can be installed in place of the glass and are actually a little bit cheaper overall if you do not already have the factory solid glass. These could be steel, but they would be heavier than needed. They slip into place exactly the same way as the glass panels do, no design changes.

As an idea, is there somewhere on the inside that the actuator can be mounted. Like behind the second row by their headrest or something?
Could a lighter-weight steel option be made? Like a creased piece of thinner gauge metal?
Just brainstorming.

Do these things exist for 55s? I keep hearing they cost a lot, but what is a lot? The fixed window rubber on the rear doors is $500. I think that is expensive, but these windows are fantastic- function and form!

Do these things exist for 55s? I keep hearing they cost a lot, but what is a lot? The fixed window rubber on the rear doors is $500. I think that is expensive, but these windows are fantastic- function and form!

Gonna bring this back up. I'd also like to have sliders or these flip out types for my 55. Anything like that exist?

Could the sliding windows be modified to flip as well? I love the flip idea, but would like to keep the sliding functionality for my pooch. Doing both would be the ultimate in versatility.

-Tom
I had heard somewhere that there was a company that made somethign that worked with the factory sliding windows that also allowed for the fli[ up. Did you ever find anything?

kevinmrowland do you plan to develop these for the 100? I'm working on getting an order put together from Emu Wing in Australia which are the only ones available that I know of.

(if anyone is interested, post here... Top Hinged Side Cargo Windows??)

It would probably be easier to purchase in North America...

Thanks

Last I heard he was working in the gas industry and, sadly, not making them anymore.

I've been eyeing the Emu Wind for a while now too, however just for the right side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom