80 Series Factory AM/FM Radio Antenna trials and tribulations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So in the process of adding a second battery in my 97 as part of the windshield washer bottle relocation effort I decided it was time to replace the broke AM/FM radio antenna whilst I could still easily access it. On removing the broken antenna it was obvious it was a cheap aftermarket model that had been poorly jerry-rigged. I considered several options including this very cool one from Trail Tailor Antenna Mounts . Ultimately I decided I really wanted to retain the use of my factory antenna up/down buttons on my dash. I lucked out and found a factory antenna model 86300-60050 new in the box on eBay for a great price and got it. It installed relatively easily and looked nice. However, on powering up the truck the antenna shot up and made a hideous noise as the toothed belt and gears clacked at the end of travel, when powering down the truck the antenna shot down and made the same racket for about 30 seconds. Long story short the 86300-60050 is the correct antenna for 91-96 Land Cruisers; it is not the correct antenna for 97 Land Cruisers; these need the antenna model 86300-60080 which has a second 4 pin connector that provides antenna position (height) feedback to the AUTO ANTENNA ECU (pn 85914-60050) located high up in the right side (passenger side) kick panel. This dedicated antenna ECU is designed to automatically put the antenna up when the radio is turned on. When a 86300-60050 antenna is connected to it bad things happen that will ultimately damage the antenna. Unfortunately locating a 86300-60080 antenna is difficult at best. Cruiser Dan allegedly has refurbished ones for a pretty steep price. There have been a few people who have written about these trials and tribulations and how one might force the 86300-60050 antenna to work within a 97 cruiser. If interested or in need of doing this yourself the write up on my fix can be found here - Loud gear grinding noise after power antenna lowers. It's not hard to do and works great in making the antenna behave like pre-97 models.

So you need the entire antenna assembly, correct? Not just the actual collapsing metal aerial?

So you need the entire antenna assembly, correct? Not just the actual collapsing metal aerial?

In my case yes, I needed the entire beast including the little angle bracket which is included in the part number... I found a good deal for the 60050 on eBay for $169 shipped... It wasn't until after installing that I became aware of the purpose of the extra 4-pin connector and the difference between the 97 80 series and LX450 with their automatic antenna and all it entails.

Basically there are three antenna models that will bolt into the 80 series -
  • The 86300-60030 non-motorized antenna fully manual (as in pull it up with you fingers)
    1603056322068.png

• The 86300-60050 motorized, that works from the dashboard up/down buttons, but is not automatic
    1603056272899.png

• The 86300-60080 motorized fully automatic that utilizes the AUTO ANTENNA ECU module in the 97 cruisers... long out of production and rare as hen's teeth
    1603056984138.png

@Bud_Dude

I may know where one is for around $350 new... Want me to try to get it for you?

Also, I see a used one out there for $225:

Nope, I'm good, thanks though. I made some simple mods to the Antenna ECU so it's no longer automatic and allows the use of the 60050 antenna I installed to operate as it does in a pre-97 cruiser. The mods are described here - Loud gear grinding noise after power antenna lowers.
I saw Cruiser Dan's 60080 refurb offering after I'd installed the 60050 and decided I much preferred manual electric antenna over automatic.

Cool! I thought you were trying to find the original system!

Nah... My goal at the outset of the project was to have an antenna that functioned like the one on my old 95. When it did not I had to dig in to see what the deal was. I documented it for two reasons -
1) So I could remember what the hell I did,
2) So others facing the same dilemma could make their antenna work.
Thankfully, others on Mud had done much of the underlying research years before me, but finding that info isn't always as easy as one might like. I posted it in the BnT forum in case any of our members find themselves struggling with antenna issues.

Gotcha! I'll take a look as I would like to disable the function in my 100 series and it seems that it is the same system/parts. Thanks!

IF the 100 series uses the same AUTO ANTENNA ECU (pn 85914-60050) as the '97 80 series the mod should work...
If a different ECU (and it appears the 100 series p/n might be 85914-60070), maybe not so much.
The difference could be as simple as a different mounting bracket, or a different connector pinout or circuit altogether.
Only an in depth study of the wiring diagram would tell.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I stumbled across this trying to find a solution to my own situation.
I have a 1988 JDM Toyota Hilux Surf, essentially a RHD version of the US first generation 4Runner.
The mast of my power antenna has been broken for years and I recently decided to replace it - because I have the up/down toggle switch on the dashboard and it drives me nuts that I can't use it (and I'm gradually restoring the truck).

I bought a new mast from an online store in the USA, and when it arrived, I tried unsuccessfully to get the stub of the old mast out of my antenna assembly. No matter how I tried, I just could not get the old mast out and in the end I applied too much force and the whole assembly snapped, rendering the entire unit totally useless.
Toyota have long stopped manufacturing the original 4Runner part and second hand ones are like unicorns. An aftermarket power antenna does not appeal to me as I won't be able to use the up/down button as intended.

I recently had the idea of maybe trying to install a power antenna assembly from an 80 series Cruiser as I know those also have the same up/down button functionality. I know it might need some modification to the bracket inside the fender, but am hoping the up/down function would work the same way as the 80's 4Runners/Surfs.
I have stumbled upon Toyota Part 86300-60040 which is similar to the parts listed on this thread and wondered if that might work.

I guess it all comes down to wiring. The loom/plug that my old power antenna plugged into only has two terminals (I assume one for up and one for down). Apart from that, there is a black wire on the assembly itself that then grounds to the chassis via the mounting bracket.
There is a question coming - and that is how many wires does an 80 series power antenna assembly have? Looking at the picture of the one I am considering (part 86300-60040), it seems to have an almost identical setup - black ground wire and what appears to be two wires on the loom - heck even the plug into the assembly looks identical. Actually the entire assembly appears identical with very similar part orientation all over. Just hard to tell from the photo below how many wires there are. If anybody on here has an 80 series and can confirm the number of wires I'd be most appreciative to know.

The ebay advert states: "Compatible with Toyota Land Cruiser 1991-1997 (FJ80 FZJ80 HDJ80 HZJ80)"
antenna.JPG

1649675395119.png

Hi there Retolux - Please see the drawing below from the '97 TLC Electrical Manual FSM. My mods are listed on the drawing, but the antenna motor simply has just two wires two the motor; so, no limit switches, position feedback, etc. As modified the '97 TLC Antenna ECU is now just a relay box that essentially operates as a DPDT relay and serves to reverse the motor wires causing the antenna to go up or down.

How you implement this wiring in your old truck is up to you. If you do not already have a factory antenna UP/DN switch on the the truck you will need to create your own. I can help you sort that wiring out if needed.

Beware on these antennas that the end of travel is just indicated by the gear slipping and making its horrendous noise, but if left running too long it damages the gear or rod and leaves the antenna stuck in that position.

1649689136914.png

In a stroke of good fortune, I managed to get my hands on a second 4Runner/Surf antenna assembly (also with a broken mast). After examining it with a fresh pair of eyes I finally worked out how to withdraw the broken mast from it. The trick is to remove the shaft from the motor unit and then withdraw the mast out the bottom of the shaft - not the top. This is different to the 2nd Generation (and later) 4Runner/Surfs (which are removed through the top) hence why so many online sources of information are incorrect.

Anyway, I fitted the new mast and put it all back together and it is working beautifully. I am still annoyed that I destroyed my original assembly in the process but lesson learnt I guess.

Not to old to revive (and I did read about 20 threads on antennas - thanks for all the advice up to this point) - ;)

This looks complicated to a non-electrical person like me. I bought the Metra replacement assembly below, and it has the red, green, and black wires only. The original has four wires to one connector and two wires into a second connector. Which two can I splice in? I would prefer the antenna only work when I use the buttons and not every time I crank the truck.

IMG_5119 Large.jpeg
IMG_5120 Large.jpeg

IMG_5121 Large.jpeg

The problem is that the Metra (as with the simple Toyota model) does not have the position sensing functionality of your factory installed antenna. As such, when connecting it to existing wiring, even if just splicing in, it will not work correctly since the antenna control unit needs the position input connection. To complicate matters a little further, as I understand the basic Metra antenna wiring, there are three connection wires; Black (ground), Red (+12V), and Blue - which goes to your aftermarket stereo antenna control connection. When connected in this way the antenna will go up automatically when the FM or AM radio is selected on your stereo. In order to use factory Antenna UP/DN dashboard buttons you would need to implement the wiring as shown in previous pages of this thread, as well as delete the relay box wiring on the Metra antenna itself and splice the Metra motor wires directly to the cable from the factory antenna controller.

The problem is that the Metra (as with the simple Toyota model) does not have the position sensing functionality of your factory installed antenna. As such, when connecting it to existing wiring, even if just splicing in, it will not work correctly since the antenna control unit needs the position input connection. To complicate matters a little further, as I understand the basic Metra antenna wiring, there are three connection wires; Black (ground), Red (+12V), and Blue - which goes to your aftermarket stereo antenna control connection. When connected in this way the antenna will go up automatically when the FM or AM radio is selected on your stereo. In order to use factory Antenna UP/DN dashboard buttons you would need to implement the wiring as shown in previous pages of this thread, as well as delete the relay box wiring on the Metra antenna itself and splice the Metra motor wires directly to the cable from the factory antenna controller.
Sounds like if I ever have this problem I'll have to learn to whistle or humm a few bars. :rofl:

I guess I fell for the "It fits your vehicle!" on the website where I bought it :frown:
Well technically it will work, likely as it’s intended to with its blue wire connection typical of most aftermarket car stereos today, perhaps not so much with the factory stereo; it would take some study to see how that might work… However it is not a drop in replacement for the factory antenna with position feedback. Those antennas are long out of production and rare as hens teeth, not to mention north of $400 if you were to find one. The lower cost factory antennas can be found for less than $300, but lack the 4 pin connector (used for position feedback), so won’t work as hoped with the antenna controller. If you really want to use the antenna with the dashboard switch, the simplest way is to modify the antenna controller as I’ve previously documented. Then splice in the motor wires from the Metra or track down a factory antenna.

Who can tell me if this is the Toyota standard factory AM/FM antenna base for an 80 series without a power antenna?

This is on a spare LHS front fender aka outer guard I've recently obtained, and it's the same one my 80's existing LHS front fender panel has (but is damaged).

Having trouble finding anything in Toyodiy that appears to match. Perhaps it's an aftermarket Aussie-made thing from the 1990's.

No... that is after market

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom