80 series Center console cooler with ice maker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We replaced our center console with the Dometic CDF-11. Put a 12V outlet on the side of the shifter console that runs off the aux battery.

1924363_10152576793195272_3245133795956761528_n.jpg

Keeps the whiskey cold and the ice cream frozen...and provides 2 cup holders and an armrest!

Best mod to date.

This place sells it the cheapest:
Dometic CDF-11 Waeco Portable Refrigerator Freezer DC

I feel like the trouble might not be worth the rewards vs. spending the cash on an ARB fridge.

I feel like the trouble might not be worth the rewards vs. spending the cash on an ARB fridge.

Difference is that if you have a nice tricked out 80 and think about the future value of it that these OEM accessories make all the difference later on for collectability .Aftermarket ice chest will always be available but the pink unicorn OEM stuff not.

Just talk to any 40 or 60 series owner,most wished they would have bought the OEM stuff when it was still floating around.

Just my 2 cents

I fitted one to my Cruiser. Really works well, ice in less than a hour. Just watch the year models the fittings differ. My fridge out of a 1993 and mine truck is a 1998 and the fittings were not the same.

Difference is that if you have a nice tricked out 80 and think about the future value of it that these OEM accessories make all the difference later on for collectability .Aftermarket ice chest will always be available but the pink unicorn OEM stuff not.

Just talk to any 40 or 60 series owner,most wished they would have bought the OEM stuff when it was still floating around.

Just my 2 cents

you're right, I just don't think it warrants it in this case, to do the apparent significant mods of installing a fridge (which could fail and leak) into a car that wasn't designed to have one (color match could be off as well)- I just don't see the value in it.

If I'm buying a collectible 20 years from now listed with the cool jdm fridge on a truck that wasn't to have one, I'd be concerned about the quality of the job to adapt it to the existing a/c system, and how long it will hold up for.

you, however, are the expert.

There's no way this is as useful as a 63qt fridge/freezer, but you better believe I want the Toyota ice trays.

Yeah, I guess if you're saving yours to be a collectible that's a different story...we bought our cruiser to use and enjoy the comforts of 2 fridges.

We replaced our center console with the Dometic CDF-11. Put a 12V outlet on the side of the shifter console that runs off the aux battery.

View attachment 1311921

Keeps the whiskey cold and the ice cream frozen...and provides 2 cup holders and an armrest!

Best mod to date.

This place sells it the cheapest:
Dometic CDF-11 Waeco Portable Refrigerator Freezer DC

Shiut out for the cfd11 - if your after function and not collectible stuff this is a great little freezer....or fridge. Finished this mod up myself not so long ago..

Talk about pink panties, that's just ridiculous. However the 405 traffic will be more enjoyable with a nice chilled wiskey, I mean coke.
I believe what you meant to say was whiskey...and coke. I don't condone drinking and driving, however I'm sure I'd feel differently living in a heavy traffic area lol.

I just ripped mine out. Makes no sense to me. Only works when the AC is running. Great if you are on a road trip and need ice. but the minute you shut things down everything just melts. Getting an aftermarket 12v fridge is the way to go. I still have to remove the AC lines from under the cruiser and close a 10x10 cm hole left by it.

You really want a fridge get the dometic or equivalent or better yet get a large fridge freezer for the trunk on a slide. You will probably save money than trying to retrofit one of these.

Can you post pics of how you mounted it so that it is flat? I'm tearing out my carpet and replacing with vinyl. Now would be the time to do this...

I am looking into this too. I would like to see any mounting ideas people have come up with. There is a little bump between the console and the shifter. Did that have to be cut out? Or would it be better if it was? I might need it to sit further back anyway or it could get in the way of the stick shift. If there is any chance anyone has done this with a stick shift, I would appreciate knowing if there is enough room.

I’m in the process of designing a mold and am going to make a platform out of fiberglass. It will bolt to the floor, where the center console bolts, and be painted to match the interior.

I’m in the process of designing a mold and am going to make a platform out of fiberglass. It will bolt to the floor, where the center console bolts, and be painted to match the interior.

I will be very interested to see that. More than anything I would like to see how much it could raise the height of the fridge off the floor though. I would hate to cut into the deck just to install it, but getting it to sit lower is a real priority. I will probably order one soon so I can mess around with it. But I will be really interested to see a custom mount.

Sorry, there is or was a write up on the install IIRC here on mud many years back but lost ttack of it. I do know it is not a five minute install, and only works when the engine is running, there are one or two 12v fridges that fit in the centre console position, a much better alternative.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom