80 Projects & Info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Volunteer

Bayou State Land Cruiser Association
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bslca.com
Since we're adding some new wagons to the club I thought it would be beneficial to some to see what mods we are making to the 80's. So post up your mods or projects.

Club member's 80's Club Member 80s pictures by BSLCA - Photobucket

Last edited:
I'll start. Today I had an aggrevating day at the office so I spent a little therapy in the shop this afternoon. I have a few things sitting in the back of the 80 waiting to be put on so I started with the spacers. When I bought the 80 I had OME 850's FRT and 864's in the rear and had a pretty bad stink bug look. I added the SLEE 1 inch blue spacers to try and level it off but it wasn't enough so I ordered the Metaltech 2 inch spacers. I had to stretch the hell out of the front end to get the springs back in but I like the results. Drove it afterwards worrying about driveline vibration since its about 4 to 4 1/2 inches of list and I've read past three you could get driveline vibration from the front shaft so I was prepared to source a Taco front shaft and have it cut and balanced. I still plan to do it but am glad I won't have to rush to do it. I do have the OME caster correction bushing in but my next project will be to add Land Tank's caster correction kit. It not wandering as of now but I do have a pitch to the front driveshaft I just greased the hell out of the u-joints while I was under there.

Anyone needing the SLEE 1 inch blues I'll make you a good deal they were on 2 months.

Here is the install.

Nice quality and the folks at Metaltech were great.
PICT0839.jpg

PICT0841.jpg

PICT0844.jpg

Cut some gaskets for the upper seats to avoid the metal to metal.
PICT0846.jpg

Assembled.
PICT0848.jpg

Went to stretch it in the cane, and plenty room for the 285's after I'm finished with the front end I'll look at some 315's
PICT0854.jpg

PICT0856.jpg

PICT0858.jpg

Flare Removal

2nd day after getting the 80 I backed up and tore the rear flare off on a mailbox I couldn't see it. I was thinking about taking them off eventually and adding durabak but after that incident it made up my mind.

With flares
DSCN0290.jpg

Removed
PICT0115-1.jpg

Gutted the inside from the rear seats back. Carpet was trash. I'll put the grey durabak on the inside at some point.
PICT0117-1.jpg

Bondo and sanding :frown: I'd prefer welding shut but grinding would have taken some work to smooth out as well so it worked out fine.
PICT0129.jpg

PICT0130.jpg

PICT0131.jpg

First coat straight durabak blue.
PICT0148.jpg

No pics of the painting this stuff is nasty to fool with. Painted the second coat of durabak the day before the Expo adding some black to get the color closer to the paint. On the next coat I'm going to add some clear to gloss it up and resisit the staining and smooth out my lines.
101_0927.jpg

Its old news but for the next guy considering. I'd do it again and like the stuff for the trail. I took a tree in the door right on the stuff and didn't damage it at all. Also its good grocery basket armor. I did have to scrub it good with plastic brush to take some of the sharpness out. It would literally take your skin off if you rubbed against it. :frown: I wouldn't reccomend anyone doing this to a pristine rig but I bought this one for a trail warrior and is what I'll use it for. :steer:

Last edited:
Its old news but for the next guy considering. I'd do it again and like the stuff for the trail. I took a tree in the door right on the stuff and didn't damage it at all. Also its good grocery basket armor. I did have to scrub it good with plastic brush to take some of the sharpness out. It would literally take your skin off if you rubbed against it. :frown: I wouldn't reccomend anyone doing this to a pristine rig but I bought this one for a trail warrior and is what I'll use it for. :steer:

they make a smooth one without the grit that might be better for some people. i was thinking of getting some.

they make a smooth one without the grit that might be better for some people. i was thinking of getting some.
I saw they had it but haven't seen it used yet. You can be the first :D Dad was the one who turned me on to it when he did his 40 with the Orange. They also have a UV and no UV mix. I bought 3 gallons when I was feeling motivated blue UV 80, black UV for the 40, and grey non-UV for the interior of the 80. I've been slow going and am not a fan of painting. I went to go buy a gun to spray it but my compressor wasn't stong enough to push it :frown: so I rolled it as per the directions.

And not much to do thats a sweet rig and ready to go as is. Scott's getting ready to get busy on his so he'll be able to chime in. :)

Scott's too busy worrying about how to drive his from the back seat w/ the seat issue and all.... :lol:

Scott's too busy worrying about how to drive his from the back seat w/ the seat issue and all.... :lol:

The infamous seat cap :whoops: At least I'll know where mine goes when it comes off. :lol:

Trailer Wiring

My 95 didn't have the towing package and just realized I don't have trailer lights. Did some digging here on MUD and searched the part numbers. I went with the drawtite brand found it for $13 on the net but by the time I added shipping I could do close to that price at a local trailer shop Utec that ordered it and will have it in tomorrow for $21.49. The Hoopy I saw going from $27 - $49. I'll add a pic or two this weekend. :)

Part# 's
Google drawtite 118357
Hoppy H2243405

Utec
1849 Bertrand Dr
Lafayette, LA 70506
(337) 235-7534

My 95 didn't have the towing package and just realized I don't have trailer lights. Did some digging here on MUD and searched the part numbers. I went with the drawtite brand found it for $13 on the net but by the time I added shipping I could do close to that price at a local trailer shop Utec that ordered it and will have it in tomorrow for $21.49. The Hoopy I saw going from $27 - $49. I'll add a pic or two this weekend. :)

Part# 's
Google drawtite 118357
Hoppy H2243405

Utec
1849 Bertrand Dr
Lafayette, LA 70506
(337) 235-7534

um I dont know if mine has a trailer light plug either. Guess I'll have to go check now.

um I dont know if mine has a trailer light plug either. Guess I'll have to go check now.

I have the plug. What is the tow/tongue rating on the factory bumper? Anyone know? I may take the one off the 40 and put it on the grocery getter.

i think it is rated for at least a class two if i remember correctly.

that is a frame cross member there.

I'd still be nervous "yanking" perpindicular across the cross member (for those w/ the receiver bolted to the member) instead of a parallel pull (ie attached to the frame rails) ... and ie... No "red neck yanking"

as was demonstrated here: ;)

DSC04908.jpg

DSC04906.jpg

DSC04910.jpg

Thanks again Theriot :D

Bx

I have the plug. What is the tow/tongue rating on the factory bumper? Anyone know? I may take the one off the 40 and put it on the grocery getter.

Good that you have the wiring. I picked up the drawtite harness yesterday. Its great the way toyota just plugged the harness back there under the tailgate where you can unplug and plug in the new harness. It'll be cake job. I don't know what the tow rating is off the bumper will have to search on that I read somewhere with the towing package and class 3 it was rated to tow 5000lbs. I put a 40 hitch on it I had laying in the shop and it works out fine for pulling the 16 foot trailer with lumber I wouldn't do anything more aggressive with it than that. It hangs a bit low on the trails and I bent the hell out of it on a stump in paradise so I need to work on a bumper.

Good that you have the wiring. I picked up the drawtite harness yesterday. Its great the way toyota just plugged the harness back there under the tailgate where you can unplug and plug in the new harness. It'll be cake job. I don't know what the tow rating is off the bumper will have to search on that I read somewhere with the towing package and class 3 it was rated to tow 5000lbs. I put a 40 hitch on it I had laying in the shop and it works out fine for pulling the 16 foot trailer with lumber I wouldn't do anything more aggressive with it than that. It hangs a bit low on the trails and I bent the hell out of it on a stump in paradise so I need to work on a bumper.

that i would whole heartedly agree with. light duty at best.

i had a class three on my 80 and i towed our 30ft intrepid offshore boat with it.

the 80 series tows large objects with the all wheel drive very well and stable.

miss the ole girl. need a diesel one now.

that i would whole heartedly agree with. light duty at best.

i had a class three on my 80 and i towed our 30ft intrepid offshore boat with it.

the 80 series tows large objects with the all wheel drive very well and stable.

miss the ole girl. need a diesel one now.

A diesel 80 would be sweet, the cost a diesel however is not :eek:

So.......is anyone getting the remake of the supercharger? Is there any thing I should be aware of if I decide to pull the trigger?

every thing i read about the the sc was really positive.

i had looked into them for my '93 when i had it, it looks like a no nonsense way of increasing horsepower and torque.

when i was looking for this 4runner the other truck that was my second choice was a 99 4runner with a supercharger.

the price i paid for this turck made it the logical choice.

go for it you know darth vader would :steer:

every thing i read about the the sc was really positive.

i had looked into them for my '93 when i had it, it looks like a no nonsense way of increasing horsepower and torque.

when i was looking for this 4runner the other truck that was my second choice was a 99 4runner with a supercharger.

the price i paid for this turck made it the logical choice.

go for it you know darth vader would :steer:

So you have just made my wife your arch enemy.

Edit: Thanks, sounds like the green light. :idea:

So you have just made my wife your arch enemy.

i doubt that very much with all the trucks you have............she must be very understanding about your festering addiction to toyotas.

hell you only live once.

how many miles does the 80 have?

hey by the way i spoke with a mutual friend rick price a few days a go he was in laf moving back to colorado in the carbondale snowmass area. says HI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom