80 Projects & Info (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't have have marks on my temp gauge but letting it run for 3 or so hours at a time on the trail with the AC running for the boy while he's watching a movie it stays below the halfway mark. I'm not a fan of the stop and starts all the time so I just leave it running. The first thing I did when I got it was change all the hoses with Paul and flush the cooling system. Paul also changed the pesky hose while we were there all of this two days before I took it to the Expo and Paradise. I'm very happy with the way it running. I have a list of mods I'd like done including Landtanks MAF, and the fast idle on start up but while I'm there I'm going to replace the valve cover gasket which is seeping in the rear and clean the upper intank while I have it off. I haven't look at the clutch mod but I'd like to look at that to see if I'd benefit from it. I understand your concern on the headgasket and worried a bit on that too but I've read and seen 100's of 80 running into the 300,000 mile mark without any issues. Its also true I've read about some in the headgasket thread that didn't make a 100,000 with problems but I'll watch it closely. I have 145 right now and I tend to always over maintain my rigs its just my mechanical nature. I plan to pickup a popup to drag behind the 80 and start taking some trips with the family and before I head out West or any big trip I think I'll do the headgasket, blast and coat the exhaust and change both intake and exhaust gaskets while at it. Maybe even the chain and guides while I'm spending the time. I plan to keep the 80 longterm and very happy with the versatility as family trail rig and whatever else I throw at it. How did I live this long without having one :hmm:

Last edited:
I
think I'll do the headgasket, blast and coat the exhaust and change both intake and exhaust gaskets while at it

never even had an exhaust leak the entire time i had the 80.

never even changed the muffler.

you do alll of these things and you will have no worries.

Maybe even the chain and guides

my sis had the truck before i bought it from her and it always made a kinda ticking noise then i read christo's internet site about the chain guides and that made a huge differenceas far as piece of mind. the original guides were made of plastic and not very beefy.

another trouble spot on the 80 series that plagued me was the air horn hose (toyotas name). now that is the hose that connects the mass air flow to the plenum (125.00 toyota price).

it had cracked just were the hose passes over the exhaust manifold it had hardened from age and heat and from changing the air cleaner filter i guess. the truck will not run very well or not at all with a crack here after the maf. hampton toyota found this issue and instead of replacing it they just used some silicone and duct tape like on scott's once it heated up melted in the same spot more trouble. if your air horn is hard ck it in the accordian lookin' area for cracks and be aware of it when you change the air cleaner assy filter. if i got another 80 this would be the first thing i would change. hell when i got the runner it was the first thing that i changed.

i miss my 80. just different level of landcruisersrin' mechanican'

I

my sis had the truck before i bought it from her and it always made a kinda ticking noise then i read christo's internet site about the chain guides and that made a huge differenceas far as piece of mind. the original guides were made of plastic and not very beefy.

another trouble spot on the 80 series that plagued me was the air horn hose (toyotas name). now that is the hose that connects the mass air flow to the plenum (125.00 toyota price).

it had cracked just were the hose passes over the exhaust manifold it had hardened from age and heat and from changing the air cleaner filter i guess. the truck will not run very well or not at all with a crack here after the maf. hampton toyota found this issue and instead of replacing it they just used some silicone and duct tape like on scott's once it heated up melted in the same spot more trouble. if your air horn is hard ck it in the accordian lookin' area for cracks and be aware of it when you change the air cleaner assy filter. if i got another 80 this would be the first thing i would change. hell when i got the runner it was the first thing that i changed.

I heard about the problem with the "air horn hose" before hand luckily. I removed it yesterday at the air box first and then grabbed the other end right at the throttle body. I covered one end with my hand and looked for sun light. I am all good but that thing is not too pliable, (old and dry)I could see it easily breaking. I cleaned the MAF sensor but want to upgrade to the LT upgrade like Larry and Scott. Re gearing also is high on my list. Running stock gears with With 35's and a automatic is very sluggish from 20 to 30 miles per hour. Any ideas on re-gearing size? I would like something that works good on the hi-way and still has a little crawl to it.

I didn't know about the chain guides. Thanks.

I

So true on the air horn I don't know how many I duct taped to get someone's rig running in the past. We patched Marty's 62 in the driveway like that and he drove it for a while that way before he could replace them.

I heard about the problem with the "air horn hose" before hand luckily. I removed it yesterday at the air box first and then grabbed the other end right at the throttle body. I covered one end with my hand and looked for sun light. I am all good but that thing is not too pliable, (old and dry)I could see it easily breaking. I cleaned the MAF sensor but want to upgrade to the LT upgrade like Larry and Scott. Re gearing also is high on my list. Running stock gears with With 35's and a automatic is very sluggish from 20 to 30 miles per hour. Any ideas on re-gearing size? I would like something that works good on the hi-way and still has a little crawl to it.

I didn't know about the chain guides. Thanks.

I'm going to regear as well before I go to the 315's and plan to go with the 4.88's. Its not real bad now with the 285's but like you said its sluggish on acceleration.

Here is a thread with some interesting feedback. https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/235493-regearing-questions.html

Last edited:
OK my head hurts. I know I need caster correction and I went down to the local tire shop to see how bad my alignment was. I had a free alignment check so I figured what the hay. Well I got my numbers but the guy was trying to tell me there is no way to fix it and my truck had been wrecked and the lift could no way cause it to be out of alignment, can't fix caster, etc.............. I have read every thing I could find on here about caster correction and what it does and that is why my head hurts. Anyone know what I should buy? Slees 3'' caster correction? Here are my numbers LF -1.6 caster RF -1.9 caster and LF -.5 camber and RF .4 camber. Any help is golden. I am kinda challenged when it comes to geometry.

Also I just bought a 3 core radiator for 93'-94(I have a 96 but the 93'-94' three core is better), blue fan clutch with 2 tubes of 6000 cts(for Land Tank MOD), 100 series brake pads, thermostat, belts, and red Toyota coolant(praying for my head gasket). I was picking up my daughter at school (in line idling) and my AC cut out. That means that my water temp was 227 degrees. My gauge never left half way. All I can say is don't even look at your gauge ever, it is trash. I know you guys already probably know this already but just making sure.

OK my head hurts. I know I need caster correction and I went down to the local tire shop to see how bad my alignment was. I had a free alignment check so I figured what the hay. Well I got my numbers but the guy was trying to tell me there is no way to fix it and my truck had been wrecked and the lift could no way cause it to be out of alignment, can't fix caster, etc.............. I have read every thing I could find on here about caster correction and what it does and that is why my head hurts. Anyone know what I should buy? Slees 3'' caster correction? Here are my numbers LF -1.6 caster RF -1.9 caster and LF -.5 camber and RF .4 camber. Any help is golden. I am kinda challenged when it comes to geometry. have the jig just need bushings

Also I just bought a 3 core radiator for 93'-94(I have a 96 but the 93'-94' three core is better), blue fan clutch with 2 tubes of 6000 cts(for Land Tank MOD), 100 series brake pads, thermostat, belts, and red Toyota coolant(praying for my head gasket). I was picking up my daughter at school (in line idling) and my AC cut out. That means that my water temp was 227 degrees. My gauge never left half way. All I can say is don't even look at your gauge ever, it is trash. I know you guys already probably know this already but just making sure.
most likly prob is the fan clutch all else good idea as well:cheers:

most likly prob is the fan clutch all else good idea as well:cheers:

Your right. It is the clutch fan. I just figured while I am in there......... I changed the rad on another 80 I used to have and only want to get in there once.....Pain in the a** to change, or at least for me. Also, I have that head gasket that is a ticking time bomb hanging over my head. It seems that more than 50% fail by 150 k. I have 148k. Tick tock tick tock fingers crossed but my luck has never been worth a sh*t.

I didn't see response at first. Can you elaborate? Like I said, I am a bit challenged. 3 degree bushings will work? Slee? Jig?
been trying to find factory #s so far no luck
what i did was when we lifted MT`s 80 took off the lower arms the OEM bush-n were tight no sag or off center so made a position jig of that then after removal set the new caster poly bushing in place at the highest possible angle so as to off set the lift pressed them in that was last fall I think no complaints from Mr MT.

this link might be helpful

Tire Tech Information - Alignment

I'm going to use Landtanks kit I have the OME that is for the 2 1/2 OME lift not to sloppy to drive so hadn't worried about it but before I put the 315 I'll do it. I'm watching them sling the pig skin right now I'll find you a thread I have saved somewhere around here. :)

been trying to find factory #s so far no luck
what i did was when we lifted MT`s 80 took off the lower arms the OEM bush-n were tight no sag or off center so made a position jig of that then after removal set the new caster poly bushing in place at the highest possible angle so as to off set the lift pressed them in that was last fall I think no complaints from Mr MT.

this link might be helpful

Tire Tech Information - Alignment

Thanks

I'm going to use Landtanks kit I have the OME that is for the 2 1/2 OME lift not to sloppy to drive so hadn't worried about it but before I put the 315 I'll do it. I'm watching them sling the pig skin right now I'll find you a thread I have saved somewhere around here. :)

Thanks

My starter started to act up and I changed it. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. They made 2 starters for our 80's/450's one is a 2.0 and a 1.4. The 2.0 is better for the cold weather starts but cost about a c-note more. It also seems that most are 2.0. Mine was a Bosh aftermarket and I went with the 1.4 re-man factory denso. I don't get up north that much and I am sure it will work just fine down south when I fire it up for duck season.

After changing EVERYTHING in my coolant system my truck now has better oil pressure. I am sure it has to do with cooler temps. Next thing on my list is a better temp guage, tranny temp guage, and a tranny cooler if my head gasket doesn't blow first.

Sliders - check
Skid plate - check
Removal of garden plow (hitch) - check
Trace down dead body smell - getting closer ;) May be someone died in the duct work. Pics to follow
LandTank seat mod - approaching fast

Bx

My starter started to act up and I changed it. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. They made 2 starters for our 80's/450's one is a 2.0 and a 1.4. The 2.0 is better for the cold weather starts but cost about a c-note more. It also seems that most are 2.0. Mine was a Bosh aftermarket and I went with the 1.4 re-man factory denso. I don't get up north that much and I am sure it will work just fine down south when I fire it up for duck season.

After changing EVERYTHING in my coolant system my truck now has better oil pressure. I am sure it has to do with cooler temps. Next thing on my list is a better temp guage, tranny temp guage, and a tranny cooler if my head gasket doesn't blow first.

Good to know thanks bud.

Also I lost the Landtank thread I had saved I guess I have to many threads saved and misplaced it but here are a few and you can search caster correction and Rick (Landtank) has almost posted in all of them. I have 4 1/2 inches of lift and the OEM caster correction bushings I know its not where its suppose to be but I've not had any driveline or deadly wandering. It does wander a bit but nothing thats concerned me. When I finish tearing up the 33's and move to 35's I'll resolve the additional mods like adjustable panards, fix the caster and then I'll have to do something with my gearing so I'll tackle it all at once while its laid up. Guess I'll have to pick good weather month because I'll be driving the 40 during that time.

A few for good reading. :)
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/240607-caster-correction.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/135405-specific-info-lifts-caster-driveshafts.html

Sliders - check
Skid plate - check
Removal of garden plow (hitch) - check
Trace down dead body smell - getting closer ;) May be someone died in the duct work. Pics to follow
LandTank seat mod - approaching fast

Bx

;) drive it :steer: - _ _ _ _ _ :lol:

Beautiful weather the last few days all the windows and sunroof peeled back air that 8itch out.

;) drive it :steer: - _ _ _ _ _ :lol:

Beautiful weather the last few days all the windows and sunroof peeled back air that 8itch out.

Thx... I know you don't believe me when I tell you it smells like ass crack. I only wish I could close you up in it about 4-5 min.
throwup.gif

But it'll be better soon... patience lad, patience. :)

Wish I was good at Photo shop and make a picture of your Toyota with about a million pine air fresheners hanging from the celling for you ;p

Thx... I know you don't believe me when I tell you it smells like ass crack. I only wish I could close you up in it about 4-5 min.
throwup.gif

But it'll be better soon... patience lad, patience. :)

:lol:, Oh I certainly believe you I had the same wet dog smell in mine when I got home and plenty dog hair. When they steam cleaned your carpet they might have washed that stuff under the carpet. I took the easy way out and threw mine in the trash. I do think as you planned by taking it out and steam cleaning it outside the truck and airing it out might do the trick. Then you can clean the floor pans and wipe them out good just incase. This week was great weather to air it out we've has some super weather. I hope it stays through the weekend :)

Wish I was good at Photo shop and make a picture of your Toyota with about a million pine air fresheners hanging from the celling for you ;p

:idea:

Ordered a few goods for the 80 to keep me busy before the Sicily trip. Like I have time to get bored :hmm:

Warn M12000 (couldn't pass on the deal from fellow Mud member and never used except to spool the cable on)

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD Touchscreen In-Dash Double-DIN DVD Multimedia AV Receiver (with Iphone cable so you can control it through the receiver :rolleyes:) No Nav needed.

OEM exhaust gaskets from Musson for the manifold back. (Still trying to get rid of that P0420 code will keep going through it till I get it right)

After that I'll order the gears. Iron Pig has a good deal on front/Rear/+ Install kits with free shipping.

Complete Re-Gear packages:

• front gear set
  • rear gear set
  • two master install kits
  • Your choice of gear ratio: 4.56, 4.88, 5.29
  • Free shipping on complete gear packages
Early - 1990 Land Cruiser - $649
1991-1997 FJ80 Land Cruiser - $699
1998-2007 UZJ100 Land Cruiser - $749

Only lacking the rear bumper and 35's :D

:eek: A Warn M12000 for the 80 :clap:. Oh yea nothing like a little overkill. Seriously that great to have that size winch for the 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom