80 on holiday in Porlock Devon UK photo's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi lads... just got back from a short camping break in Porlock in Devon, the truck ran like a dream or you could say a nightmare if ya worried about fuel costs...LOL here is a couple of pics.
porlock june05 016c.jpg
porlock june05 041c.jpg

Looks great and - green.

In Southern California, it cost me $48 and change to fill up my LC today. However, about a year ago I was in Scotland and when I filled my rental car up before returning it (Vauxall Vectra 1.3 / manual) the bill that showed up on my credit card was for $82.

I'd like to drive my LC in the UK but the fuel bill would exceed my mortgage payment. You are a loyal user to drive that rig in the UK!

Nice - hope to have my 80 similarly parked next to a tent soon as well. What is the color, though?? I have a blue one and a green one but yours looks between.

DougM

People actually camp in the UK?
with campfires and all?
:confused:

wannabe cowboys?

who says there is no American Culture exports?

:D

The colour or color :) has come out a bit wierd in the first pic, maybe cos of all the greenery around and I think the flash went off, the true colour is more the one on the right, light grey metalic.
We have found a great camping spot in a place called porlock in north devon, one of the greenist places I have ever come across, and you can light a camp fire too, which is great.
And you are right, it's like having another mortgage to keep filling it up with fuel......doh

Landcruiser factory camouflage scheme. Sweet!

White Shark said:
Landcruiser factory camouflage scheme. Sweet!

Is it the new expiramental chameleon paint?

As a kid, in 1967, I did Pawlock wier in a Ford Anglia (like the one in Harry Potter). Pissed in cider and totally reckless!

The camping spot looks nice and cool :) If it makes you feel better I pay about $70 to fill up here in Mex. I think of it as life insurance ;)

Heh Snowwarrior,
I used to live in Tunbrdige Wells years ago - still have a house there.
Spent 7 yrs in Scotland with a US petrol 80 and converted to Lpg with some help from some farmers for propane rather than putting $100 into it!
Are u running diesel? and what year

Hello Thelal.....Yer Tunbridge wells is not far at all from me, I live in a small village called wouldham on the edge of the river medway in between maidstone and rochester, I go through T/wells quite often to get to heathfield.
Mine is the 4.5 petrol 1996 and I have pondered with the idea of converting to propane gas, but you do loose a bit of the trunk area for the bottle, so not sure what to do.
I actually bought mine on ebay from a guy in the midlands and paid £7000 which was quite cheap, it had only one owner and is a really straight car, no respray bits or crap like that, full service history as well, I have done all the usual work, like birf repacks and starter motor contacts, can do things like that myself luckily as I am an engineer in a papermill in snodland, don't know if you know the place?
I have never been to scotland, but do intend to go this year, but the thought of the fuel costs in the cruiser would match the plane tickets to the USA ....LOL so these things have to be taken into consideration, I do always get to go to the USA or Canada twice a year, really love it over there, tend to go to the mountain areas but also travelled to all other places, and tend to go in the winter months, love the cold and the snow!....well keep intouch matey.

snowwolfwarrior said:
Mine is the 4.5 petrol 1996 and I have pondered with the idea of converting to propane gas, but you do loose a bit of the trunk area for the bottle, so not sure what to do.

Hi snowwolfwarior,

I think that LPG may be the way forward for you concerning fuel costs. You need not worry about having a LPG tank in the cargo area as there are many designs of tank available which and can easily be mounted underneath the vehicle tucked in out of harms way. Long cylinders, doughnut and other shapes can be mounted and it is possible to have multiple tanks. The best place on an 80 would be where the spare tyre is but that would then necessitate a carrier for the spare outside. On some vehicles tanks are mounted under the sills outside of the frame rails and there is just enough space on an 80 for this. LPG is far more available now in the UK than it was, we even have several suppliers in one of the near by villages in this part of Wales. The important thing is to get a good system and not just the cheapest one going but the reward to you would be cheaper running than is even possible with the diesel. The biggest gains to be made would be if you could have your own supply tank in your garden as used for heating cooking etc because there is even less tax on that. :)

Thanks for the input GF...... do you know how the fuel gauge works? does it have a it's own gauge on the dash or would it be on the tank? and have you any idea what the price per mile would be compared to petrol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom