79 fj 40 to efi conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wanting to convert my original 40 to a fuel injected setup. I would be completely ok with just finding a stock intake manifold and efi setup off a compatible motor. Is this a possibility? 3fe? tacoma complete drivetrain..easy swap?

If not, I"m open to aftermarket suggestions and even straight six (preferably toyota) engine swaps.

There's nothing wrong with my original motor. Runs fine, 40k original miles. But I'm going to do a very mild build on it and want to have a reliable running motor and drivetrain. I'm sick of carbureted engine quirks lol

Thanks for any help

I know most of this has been covered across thirty other threads.. but there's so much do this, do that, try these 400 different swaps from these 400 retailers... that it's just too much to sort through.

I'd just like to know tried and true swaps or upgrades. Something I can do once and be done.

Last edited:
The 3FE manifolds will bolt up, search on this forum. It's been discussed.

The 3FE manifolds will bolt up, search on this forum. It's been discussed.

Not without much more from the 3FE (like for example the head). And since his 2F is presumably a domed-piston / open-chamber variant as a '79, the pistons would have to be swapped to flat-tops to use the 3FE head.

If the OP is interested in this option, search the term "2FE", I don't know much about the add-on TBI options that I would assume better suit your situation.

Yes a 3fe head will bolt up but like others have said you need the flat top pistons also. Thats the problem I ran into with my build. Instead of tearing into the engine to replace pistons I'm going to use a GM TBI setup from a 4.3v6. There are a few aftermarket companies that sell kits to make it easier. Search 2FE, lots of info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom