78 fj40 , 1kz-te , h55f , orion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the compliment ! I have almost 30,000 miles on it now , and it is still my daily driver , except when it rains . My 40 is rust free and the last one I had rusted out . I want to keep this one rust free .I have a Chevy Blazer that I have been doing a frame off restoration on all winter , so the fj40 is the only vehicle I have running now . The 1kzt doesn't have enough power to tow anything , but it has more power than the 2f engine had and nearly double the gas mileage , but I didn't have 5 speed on the 2f . I never got around to posting photos of the custom radiator I made , but it really cleaned everything up and always runs cool ever since I installed it . There is more to the orion to H55 than an adapter plate . You have to find a hub that fits the output shaft splines of the h55 , bore out the center of the orion input gear and weld splines into it as in the photo I posted . I don't understand why orion doesnt offer an h55 kit . They could sell so many more kits if they did . The orion really is an incredibly strong transfer case . I love it , it has worked perfectly .

I love the Orion too. It’s the main reason I haven’t tried going the H55 route. Looks like I’ll have to go nv4500 if I want to keep it and get a 5speed. Might have a 12 inch rear driveshaft hahah. I guess if you got a shorter motor in there you could push it all forward.

I love the Orion too. It’s the main reason I haven’t tried going the H55 route. Looks like I’ll have to go nv4500 if I want to keep it and get a 5speed. Might have a 12 inch rear driveshaft hahah. I guess if you got a shorter motor in there you could push it all forward.

Why not just run a split case with 4:1 gears and keep your life simple? Not than there is anything wrong with NV4500s, but no fancy adapters required if you keep it all Toyota, it'll all just bolt in.

Why not just run a split case with 4:1 gears and keep your life simple? Not than there is anything wrong with NV4500s, but no fancy adapters required if you keep it all Toyota, it'll all just bolt in.

I think the 4:1 gears for split cases have high range reduction, and I’m already on 4.88 gears in the diffs

I think the 4:1 gears for split cases have high range reduction, and I’m already on 4.88 gears in the diffs
Yes , putting in the shorter 4 cylinder diesel allowed me to move the engine forward enough to fit the longer h55 + adapter and keep the origional drive shafts and parking brake .

A small block chevy is only a couple of inches longer than a 1kzte . With an electric fan on the front of the radiator and no fan on the water pump it might fit .

haha I think if I was going through all the trouble of a motorswap, the 5.3 would be a must haha

I have had it out on a 96 deg. day and it runs cool now . It will go up steep hills at 65 mph in 5th gear without getting hot . EGt's rarely get over 1000 F going up a steep hill . I have been wheeling on a hot day and it stayed cool . I have been getting between 22 and 26 miles per gallon mixed driving . It really runs great , and sounds great . It has been my daily driver . Has not used any oil at all . It does vibrate at idle , but not too harsh . I know I don't have the right motor mount set up for this engine . I also wonder if the stock dual mass flywheel would make a difference in idle ? Just above idle and higher , it is real smooth and quiet .

View attachment 775348

View attachment 775349

View attachment 775350
First, I want to say that I am VERY impressed by your build. I think this thread is amazing and I could not stop reading it. Thank you for sharing and posting.

Being a complete novice at swapping engines, I am still looking to move forward with a 1KZ-T or TE swap. The only piece that makes me nervous is the fabrication of the motor mounts. Can you share a bit on how they were designed. I see that they are weldments and I assume you used mild steel.

First, I want to say that I am VERY impressed by your build. I think this thread is amazing and I could not stop reading it. Thank you for sharing and posting.

Being a complete novice at swapping engines, I am still looking to move forward with a 1KZ-T or TE swap. The only piece that makes me nervous is the fabrication of the motor mounts. Can you share a bit on how they were designed. I see that they are weldments and I assume you used mild steel.
I marked and measured the original transmission and engine location before removing it . You want to be sure that the center line of the of the rear output shaft on the transfer case is exactly where it was in all 3 directions when you put the new engine / trans in . You also need to know exactly where the centerline of the crankshaft is [harmonic balancer] and put the front of the new engine on that centerline . The alignment and angle to the floor of engine/ trans is very important . Basically the crankshaft center line needs to be parallel with the frame center line . I have seen many engine swaps where the engine is not parallel and this is a bad idea [ it needs to be closer to the drivers side of the frame but parallel , this makes room for the front driveshaft ] and engine level side to side . The output flange on the transfer case needs to be exactly the same height , in the same location front to back and side to side , and at the same angle to the floor as it was before [ the engine /trans center line will be angled up towards the front of the engine ]. On an FJ40 the center of the cone shaped stamped steel cover on the back of the transfer case is the same centerline as the crankshaft . It can help with alignment . Take as many measurements as you can and write them down . I also put a lot of marks on the chassis and frame to measure from and align to . Then I used floor jacks , bottle jacks and cherry picker to place the engine on center line , leveled the engine side to side off the front of the cylinder head with the lifter cover removed . I welded mild steel plates to the frame to strengthen it before fabing motor mounts . I used FJ40 motor and transmission rubber mounts . I used the old ones to fab it all up then replaced with new . That was so long ago I don't remember how I did it all , but it was simple to figure out . There might be more photos of the mounts in the video , I'm not sure but the video has all the photos I took in it . And Thanks for the compliment ! Good luck , engine swaps are fun.

Beerfart, that’s an amazing 40 series! Your fabrication skills are insane, very, very inspiring.

There‘s a recent series on making good power with these engines from YouTube user TRAV30387. It’s not cheep, but looks real fun!

I plan on swapping a 1kz into my mini truck when I geat tired of living life in the slow lane. I still need to accumulate all the critical pieces, like a shop, first though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom