75 fj40 drum brake problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
a while back i decided to change out all the flex brake hoses. before this the brakes worked fine, but since i have not been able to get the front right to work. drums turned, new shoes, then went thru the cylinders. finally last week changed out the new hose forr another. even got some russell auto bleeders as people are tired of me asking for bleeding help. still no rf brake, or very little. i may have bled the lf first when i first did this, does that make any diff? anyone have an idea about where to start over? thx jim

i also checked the hard line to see if i mashed it and it seemed fine. still looking for ideas as what to check next. jim

i also checked the hard line to see if i mashed it and it seemed fine. still looking for ideas as what to check next. jim
Raise the truck, take off wheel and drum, get a buddy to hit the brake pedal while you watch the wheel cylinder. If it moves then you know your adjustment is way off. Be careful while doing this so as not to blow out piston from cylinder. Just a pump will let you know if it’s moving. If not, and you did go thru the cylinders already, you probably have a plug in one of your lines... good luck

When you are bleeding the brake fluid, are you seeing the same amount of brake fluid coming out of the non working corner with each pump of the pedal? This would be with a helper working the pedal so you can watch what comes out, not using an auto bleeder. If no, you have a plugged line/hose or other hydraulic restriction. If you do have the same fluid flow, I would double check that the shoes are adjusted properly as suggested above.

the shoes have been adjusted many times. i can do it blindfolded now. i guess the only option is checking the fluid amount at another wheel as red suggested. thx all. jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom