'74 Fuse Block replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was removing the driver side door hinge last night. To get to the hinge I had to take out Light Switch and Fuse Block.
Because my vehicle is over 37 years old and spend most of its time in the heat of California, the fuse block is falling apart. It's basically breaks to small pieces when you slightly squeeze it.
Did anyone replaced original Fuse Block in his Cruiser? What have you used?
If I have a chance, I'd prefer to use modern type of ATO or Mini fuses. Are there any conversions on the market I can use?

Yep I just went to a parts store and asked to see their fuse blocks. I chose a 10 fuse ATO type that actually fit in the same brackets as the oem. I have to admit there was about 1/4" difference center of hole to center of hole but a rat tail file cured that. I like it! cost 400 Php or $9.17 tax included and came with all fuse with a cover. 10 awg primary and secondary

Roboosfj40s said:
Yep I just went to a parts store and asked to see their fuse blocks. I chose a 10 fuse ATO type that actually fit in the same brackets as the oem. I have to admit there was about 1/4" difference center of hole to center of hole but a rat tail file cured that. I like it! cost 400 Php or $9.17 tax included and came with all fuse with a cover. 10 awg primary and secondary

Could you post up a picture and part # in this thread?

I bought one for my boat from West Marine or Overton's and it is so slick I will probably do the same to the Cruiser. Check out just about any boat supply house. I think mine is a Blue Sea Systems fuse block.

The one issue you'll find with aftermarket fuse blocks is that the circuits are all just common. The stock fuse block is divided into circuits that are always powered, keyed accessory circuits, and circuits that are powered in run-start. You can always modify or combine blocks to do this, but I think your best bet is a stock fuse block (later model, if need be) if you can still purchase them.

I have BlueSeas in my both 4Runners.
I'd agree with power distribution of them. BlueSea has single power bus and either 6 or 12 fused outputs. In contrast OEM Toyota has independent runs for each fuse, they just conveniently placed in one box.
I found that SOR has Covers for $30, but no full assemblies.

Last edited:
$30 plus $hipping and handling.

Could you post up a picture and part # in this thread?

Alex I could post up a pic but I don't think it will do you much good Note my location. It is very difficult to get really good stuff here. I mean it is possible yes but it is imported from the U.S. and cost plus shipping is not warranted in my opinion. This box did have independant circuits pre wired for headlights, fog lights, turn, stop, radio, dimmer, lighter, ignition, etc. and was seperated for five circuits each power supply Ignition off and ignition on. As I said, I look for function and not pretty as long as it works and not rednecked. This is a tough place, pretty don't last long. I have been to West Marine in Columbia S.C. and as one member suggested they have some nice stuff. I have seen others with fuse blocks with flasher and relay plugs as well as far as oem, yes that would be the best if it can be found to keep it original. Keep hunting. you will find exactly what you need I am sure, Good Luck!:cheers:
Rob

Originals using Glass fuses which become hard to find locally, plus they don't last that long as ATO style in off-road condition.

Found this on the Web. Accommodates 10 ATO/ATC type. Would it work?
46073FL%20fuse%20block.gif

Found this on the Web. Accommodates 10 ATO/ATC type. Would it work?
46073FL%20fuse%20block.gif

I don't see any reason why it would not work, Just wire it up to your liking. I did do my best to maintain color codes based on a 75 wiring diagram. I made a dozen drawings and notes to make sure in the future if something happens electrical I will know exactly where the problem is.

I used one from waytek that has do divided power supply and a water resistant cover. Does require purchase of special wire terminals that snap in the block but the cost of those is neglible

Waytek wire is one of the best sources for all things 12-24V

I used one from waytek that has do divided power supply and a water resistant cover. Does require purchase of special wire terminals that snap in the block but the cost of those is neglible

Off topic, Where is Diamond Valley? I lived in Beatty and Austin years ago

haystax said:

The Waytek looks like the one I found on the web, but they list 8-circuit is the max.
Otherwise good find. Can you buy single items from them or only big quantities?

Roboosfj40s said:
Off topic, Where is Diamond Valley? I lived in Beatty and Austin years ago

South of Elko. Just north of Eureka

AlexJet said:
The Waytek looks like the one I found on the web, but they list 8-circuit is the max.
Otherwise good find. Can you buy single items from them or only big quantities?

Certain min order quantities on individual items. But no minimum order that I know of. My fuse block is more like 15 circuits iirc

I used a painless fuse block. Most are universal

mruff said:
I used a painless fuse block. Most are universal

Painless Fuse Block has "hot" connection at all time. Is this fine with 40-series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom