70 series roof rack ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I have a kzj78 but I'm pretty sure it's the same roof dimensions as a lot of the 70 series correct? I'm looking for a roof rack that can support a RTT but everything vehicle model specific costs around $2000 CAD just for the rack.... These vehicles have roof rails like vans right? Is there any universal method or some alternative to these high price versions or should I start saving? Thanks

I currently have a set of heavy duty roof bars for a van, they required some trimming to fit an RTT but they work just fine and were about $70 USD. I used the same bars on my G-Wagen and 80-series too. I started building a custom full length rack, hopefully will finish it this summer. Any gutter mount roof rack should work, so long as it will adjust to the width of the 70 roof.
IMG_3156.jpg

Pretty sure this is what I have, only in black. I had to cut the tops off the towers so that the tent could unfold. Very sturdy bars for a very low price.
Amazon product ASIN B019DP6UG0

This is what a Rhino rack/bar system looks like for the 76 series (Installed on my 77). It is nice because it clears the factory sunroof if you have one.

I think you can get it all for under $1,000 USD??

rack Shot 2.jpeg

Rack Shot 1.jpeg

I currently have a set of heavy duty roof bars for a van, they required some trimming to fit an RTT but they work just fine and were about $70 USD. I used the same bars on my G-Wagen and 80-series too. I started building a custom full length rack, hopefully will finish it this summer. Any gutter mount roof rack should work, so long as it will adjust to the width of the 70 roof.
View attachment 2636798

Pretty sure this is what I have, only in black. I had to cut the tops off the towers so that the tent could unfold. Very sturdy bars for a very low price.
Amazon product ASIN B019DP6UG0

Sweet this is exactly what I was wondering. I just ordered a similar black one for the gutters... I thought they'd work as they look identical to the van gutters but couldn't find any confirmation. I'll probably have to cut the tops like you but I like this low cost alternative.

Could probably even buy a second set and have a small really strong roof basket above the sunroof just forward of the tent...

I also made little metal shims to help keep the gutter clamps from pulling outward, the tabs that capture the clamps were a little loose on mine and I wasn't terribly confident in the way it went together. With the shims in place there is a good solid connection. If you want I can get some photos later this week when I put the tent back on.

I also made little metal shims to help keep the gutter clamps from pulling outward, the tabs that capture the clamps were a little loose on mine and I wasn't terribly confident in the way it went together. With the shims in place there is a good solid connection. If you want I can get some photos later this week when I put the tent back on.
Yeah that would be great if you don't mind man

Sorry this took so long, I didn't end up putting the tent back on, but here are a couple of photos of the metal strips I made to hold the gutter clamps in closer:
IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

Sweet thanks for the pics man! I bought the Highland black bar carrier roof rack on amazon ($126 CAD on amazon) and installed it last week! This one didn't need any modifications to mount and fit the gutters perfectly. And I go say the rig looks pretty good with the roof bars as well. Got some kayaks up there as well last week.

P4180506.jpg

Sweet thanks for the pics man! I bought the Highland black bar carrier roof rack on amazon ($126 CAD on amazon) and installed it last week! This one didn't need any modifications to mount and fit the gutters perfectly. And I go say the rig looks pretty good with the roof bars as well. Got some kayaks up there as well last week.

View attachment 2653845
Looks awesome. I know this is a little old but do you have a link to the bars you purchased and maybe an update on how they are working

Looks awesome. I know this is a little old but do you have a link to the bars you purchased and maybe an update on how they are working
Sure man, yeah they went from holding my roof basket to holding my clamshell aluminum roof tent. They work great but the coating is starting to already develop a bit of surface rust so long term I guess they're not the greatest from a cosmetic standpoint. Not noticeable unless you're right up close but also they're like $130 a set so can't complain too much. Says it's unavailable on Amazon now but here's the link anyways Amazon product ASIN B0002MABL4

Longshot here, but I don't suppose anyone has a set of the highland bars they are no longer using? I am looking for Cross bars for my 73 to be able to put a canoe on top. I tried some Thule bars, but they bunce a lot over that much of an unsupported span. I found one Highland bar locally, but need 4 to make a square. The end pieces with the 4 holes are perfect for a u-bolt so I can make the 4 T junctions needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom