'70 alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well i bought my alternator from CC. 70 fj40 with external regulator, only version they had of the 70 so i figured it would fit. well im about half an inch short on the bottom mounting bracket, the one with two, and my old alternator is bigger. everything should be stock but my question is the 2f engine's alternator bigger than the f and was the 2f in the 70 fj40?

Toyota did not have a 2F engine in a 1970-40 series...that would be an F engine, unless a previous owner has changed things up...

thats what i thought, hood says 2f, im gonna go look around, anything i should look for as to an obvious sign to let me know its a 2f? and with the 45 ampage alternator, will the size vary the higher/lower the amperage goes?

Last edited:
Hood???

Do you mean the rocker cover?

By the starter motor, there is a flat plate in the block that will have the serial number of the engine stamped in it. Will start with a F or 2F....

There is not really that significant of a size difference, not one that I can remember anyhow, between a 35, 45, and 55 amp Toyota alt....the 55's look a little different...

Post up a pic of what you have...

http://community.webshots.com/user/iambadfish

just click the alternator. if you cant notice in the pictures my older one is a bit bigger and the lower two mounting rings, the new one is too small to fit onto the engine.

as to my post about the hood, on the underside of the hood says "engine family something or other ect ect 2f i cant remember im not gonna go outside this late in my boxers to look under my hood :p

A 1970 should have a two piece hood with the chrome strip. The one piece hood started in in the 1972 model so all 2F engines would had a one piece hood, maybe your hood was changed or someone got some new stickers. The alternator on a 70 F engine should mount on the driver's side above where the smog pump goes. On a 2F the alternator is on the passengers side above the fuel pump.

John

Living in the Past said:
The alternator on a 70 F engine should mount on the driver's side above where the smog pump goes.

F engine smog pumps were high on the drivers side, above the alt....

:beer:

I stand corrected. I was going by the smog pump on my old 79. The smog pump for my 73 came in a box of parts when I got it, where it sits to this day. So I'm sure your right.

John

ill take a picture of the mounting bracket when i get home later today

I saw your engine on one of your parts ID pics, and it's not a 2F, it's an F, so your hood must be off of a later truck. most obvious differences are the 2F has an aluminum valve cover with the oil filler cap on top, oil filter mounts on the rt side of engine. Did your order an alternator for a '70?

Just from what I can see in your picture and CCOTs pictures, they may have sent you the wrong alternator for later years. You could probably alter the mounting points to make it fit, but sending it back and getting the correct one might be easier.

yea i could always grind my bracket down but i dont wanna mess with it incase i need another alternator and i did call CCOT and they tell me its the right part. The part i orded is #AL902X they send me #AL209X they say its the same but they do that for inventory, if its the same, why isnt it fitting?

problem solved. wrong casting iron on the right alternator. CCOT has great customer service when they are in the wrong. dave was a great guy about it and ill have me new alternator in 3 days to get the beast back on the street

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom