7 PIN trailer connection burnt white ground's inulation way up the harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
Good morning all,

I typically spend my time in the 60/62 section, but now that my wife drives a 2007 Toyota Sequoia Limited, I've been browsing around over here. And now, for my first issue.

When hauling back our new pop-up camper from Grand Junction, my 7PIN connecter started smoking like crazy. It was pretty beat up, and must have had a hot wire grounding into something through an exposed wire.

I disconnected it on the spot, and drove back to Durango over Red Mountain, Molas and Coal Bank pass, with no brake lights, blinkers, or trailer brakes (shh!). Probably not the smartest thing I'd ever done, but the trailer is pretty light compared to the Sequoia, there was no traffice to speak of, and my options were limited. Taking my time, downshifting and braking only when necessary made for a completely uneventful trip home (post electrical fire, that is!)

Yesterday, I got under the back-end, hoping to be able to buy a new 7-pin (mine is of the 5-2) variety. and plug in the new one back where the wiring harness connecters feed out to the 7 pin. Well, the cooked, now bare, white ground wire ran past the connector and into the wiring harness, eventually going past where the connector plugs into the rear fender on it's way to front.

My hope was to be able to work my way back through the harness until I found where it wasn't bare, checking all the other wires along the way, then replacing the white ground all the way back to the trailer control connection.

• Does anybody know the path of the wiring harness from rear to font? Along the drivers side bottom in some way I assume?
  • Should I replace the whole harness all the way back? If so, is there a part number for this?
  • I may very well end up taking it a shop to do this, although I know the labor is going to be high, but I'd like to have an idea of the work they shop will be doing.

It appears to be a relatively straightforward process, just difficult to trace the harness back.

Any help and direct from my Mudder friends would be most appreciated. Trying to get this fixed before the weekend, so we can get out to Canyonlands.

Thanks,

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom