68 FST FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ladies and Gents, I am trying my hardest to join the club haha... I have been looking for a 40 for about a year and a half now and just haven't found the right fit yet. Kinda slim pickin's in California for anything that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Anyways, this 40 in the link below came up a bit ago on the forum and wanted to see if I could get any of your expert opinions on it (didn't seem to be much chatter about it in the original post...and from what I've noticed in the past it means it's not that great of a deal). Anyone know the member? Seen the rig before?
I am actually traveling up to Northern California this weekend for a meeting and might try to go up and see it.

I will post in the clubhouse for that area too but anyone know of a shop up there that might do a PPI? Or I think I have read somewhere that a Toyota dealership might do one as well? any insight on this...

For Sale - 1968 FJ40 factory soft top (Lincoln Ca)

Thanks,
Adam

Ladies and Gents, I am trying my hardest to join the club haha... I have been looking for a 40 for about a year and a half now and just haven't found the right fit yet. Kinda slim pickin's in California for anything that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Anyways, this 40 in the link below came up a bit ago on the forum and wanted to see if I could get any of your expert opinions on it (didn't seem to be much chatter about it in the original post...and from what I've noticed in the past it means it's not that great of a deal). Anyone know the member? Seen the rig before?
I am actually traveling up to Northern California this weekend for a meeting and might try to go up and see it.

I will post in the clubhouse for that area too but anyone know of a shop up there that might do a PPI? Or I think I have read somewhere that a Toyota dealership might do one as well? any insight on this...

For Sale - 1968 FJ40 factory soft top (Lincoln Ca)

Thanks,
Adam

If you can get the VIN I can try to run a autocheck.

A lot depends on if you want to build something up yourself or buy a turnkey rig. The issue a lot of the 40 community has with turnkey is that most 40 owners want to wrench their rigs and you are buying into some unknowns. With an original rig, the owner can build to their preferences and know the quality of the work and part selection.

That being said, this looks like a good price if it is as nice in real life. I'd pay close attention to the engine and column shifting, and the steering feel on the road. The longer shackles with old springs may make it a bit squirrely in ruts and at speed. Of course with any old 40, bring a magnet to see if bondo is in the body and pay close attention to the paint. Look for overspray that may show that the truck was repainted and may hide rust or other issues.

Let us know how the visit goes!

@slickdealmike thanks for the offer. I will work on getting a vin...worst case I will grab it if I go to check it out. Thanks
@BreckenridgeCruiser Ideally I would like to find something that is more turnkey. I have little to no experience working on cars so I want to try to find something thats pretty solid to begin with that I can enjoy while learning how to work on it little by little.

you guys are awesome...thanks for the help and I will let you know how it goes if I go to check it out.

@badsamaritan If you wouldn't mind checking with him that would be awesome. Might save me a 4 hour round trip. If he is up for it I can reach out to him or give you the contacts phone#. Thanks

@Adamcbad , we have a meeting on the first Tuesday of each month at Mike's BBQ in Escondido. Come on by and there is tons of support in this endeavor. Hope to see you sometime

@Cruiser Bauers thanks for the invite.
The owner sent me some videos:

@badsamaritan im set to check it out Saturday afternoon. Is your buddy a cruiser guy? If you hear back from him maybe he wouldn’t mind going with me to check it out.

He's not a cruiser guy specifically, more into Jeeps and other classics. He hasn't gotten back with me yet, so I am going to assume he is on travel. Good luck with the inspection