62 Series Gauge resting positions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

My 62 never had a working fuel gauge. During my restoration I finally fixed the wiring to the sending unit, but in the process I managed to connect my oil pressure gauge to the wrong terminal on the pressure sensor. I caught it quickly enough before it burnt out the gauge, but not quickly enough before it over-traveled the mechanism. So now my oil pressure needle "rests" buried at the bottom of the cluster. I saw a post about taking the cluster apart and resetting the needle position - so I plan to do that.

However, I noticed that my fuel level needle also rests well below "E" when the key is off. So that got me wondering whether or not that was normal, or if perhaps previously the fuel level wire grounded out, damaging that gauge in the same way.

Can anyone post a picture of what all their gauges look like with the key off, so I can properly set all of their "resting" positions?

Thanks.

I put a FJ62 Fuel and Temperature gauge in my FJ60 cluster. Here's what they look like with the power off. The needle position would be the same if they were mounted In a 62 also.

It's easy to calibrate the fuel gauge. Empty the tank completely, then add 5 gallons and see where the needle rests after a while with the ignition key on. It takes a while for the needle to reach its final resting spot.

image.jpeg

Where the gas gauge needle normally lies with 5 gallons in the tank isn't important. Where it lies on your gauge is.
I had a double sized gas tank (48 gallons) with an extended sender float rod on a FJ60, so where my needle position was will be different than yours.
Here's where mine was at 7 gallons.
I calibrated the gas gauge to the point where I could tell how much gas I had at any time within 2 gallons. Highly recommended. My gauge was very reliable- repeatable. I staked my life on it being accurate many times way, way out in the boonies and it never let me down.

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom