61. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm retiring the other thread,seeing as this truck has stuck with me this long, I figger it probably deserves it's own thread, without that scabby mess of a 40 in it.

And, didn't feel like looking for it. :lol:

Despite my inactivity, I have in fact done some stuff. Not a lot of stuff mind you, but some stuff. Mostly, I've put fuel in it. Although I did throw a Pyro and boost gauge in it, (getting the pyro in pre-turbo was a pain in the ass) and build a 3" exhaust.

Neighbour was disappointed to not see a muffler in the pile of parts I had to build said exhaust...:grinpimp:

At the moment, I'm waiting for some brake parts to arrive, hence the interwebbing.

So a few days ago, my brake pedal got a wee bit squishier than I was used to. I figgered it was probably a rear wheel cylinder, and didn't worry about it all that much. Turns out I was right about the wheel cylinder, but it had probably had a small leak for a long time, and wasn't really the cause of the squish...

I was backing out of a steep uphill parking spot, heard a bang, and my brake pedal got really firm for a second....

Had a classic, "Well, there's your problem" moment yesterday...:lol:
2014-12-09 12.02.14.jpg

No harm done, I'll bang in some new rear brake guts today when they arrive.

Another first yesterday, was my dad coming over to take back his f350 that we've been borrowing for the past couple months, and finding out the fxxxing thing had hydro-locked overnight...

in Ford's infinite wisdom, they built an air cleaner assembly that is dished on top, and sits under the hood to firewall joint. If the rubber washer under the wingnut that holds the air cleaner on isn't sealed, a heavy rain (or in this case an insanely heavy rain) fills the engine up with water. Pulled the glow plugs spun the engine over for a minute or so ( blasting water 20 feet into the air) , put the plugs back in and off she went.
Gasped and choked like a drowning victim on a beach for a minute or so, but back to life. Needless to say I gooped the s*** out of that rubber gasket when re-assembling.

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was up diving in Tahsis about a year ago. Took me a while to figure out what the problem was. I checked everything in the driveline, and was worried it was something serious. Until I took off the drum... Then, like you said there was a moment when it all became clear.

Cheers,

Matt

Was wondering how your truck was doing. Glad you're getting those brakes sorted. Never seen the friction surface separate like that before!

Is your dad's ford the 7.3 IDI or DI? Crazy design to let water in like that.

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was up diving in Tahsis about a year ago. Took me a while to figure out what the problem was. I checked everything in the driveline, and was worried it was something serious. Until I took off the drum... Then, like you said there was a moment when it all became clear.

Cheers,

Matt

Yeah, glad I had my foot on the brake pedal when the bang happened , meant I knew it was a brake shoe issue, otherwise I'd have been stressing out about drivetrain stuff too...:lol:

Was wondering how your truck was doing. Glad you're getting those brakes sorted. Never seen the friction surface separate like that before!

Is your dad's ford the 7.3 IDI or DI? Crazy design to let water in like that.

I think the brakes were likely a result of the trucks rather sedentary existance while in PG. That, and I'm pretty sure some of the springs levers and crap in there were put together wrong before. ( Drum brakes piss me off.)

For the ford, yeah, stooooopid. It's non turbo, but whether idi or di, not sure although the presence of glowplugs would make me lean towards idi. For once tho, I was pretty happy about glowplugs. Having to pull injectors to get the water out would have sucked arse.

Last edited:
disk swap-eroo?

Ahh maybe one day. Especially if they act up again, but good enough for now. Nice having a decent e brake.

And, then we have my quick and dirty solution to the non functional rear defrogger....:hillbilly:

I've had this 24v fan for years and never found a use for it. Works ok. Actual defrogger would be better, but the tinfoil is long gone from my window.

2014-12-11 12.53.31.jpg

And gauges. Found these on nanaimo c/l already mounted in a nice aluminum pod. Be better if the boost gauge had a smaller range, but whatever. It works.
2014-12-11 12.54.03.jpg

Ok smart fellers, for whom pots aren't just the knobs one turns on a guitar, here's that graph I was mentioning.

To me, it looks like the max resistance is 20 k, and the min where the glow circuit will even think about energizing at all is about 5k. (slightly above zero)

So my hope is that a resistor of x size will bump up the range that the circuit glows in. Get it to start at more like 15c instead of 3c, with it giving max glow as it gets down towards zero.

At the moment with the sensor unplugged it will glow when I turn the key on, for up to the max 14 seconds. So as a manual system, it's not bad. Just start the old lump when you figger it's had enough glow.
a simple non technical way would be to just put in a toggle switch, so I could have "winter and summer" mode. (good chance that's where it'll end up either way)

So any guesses at the necessary size of resistor to put in there? would it work the way I'm thinking, or would it require a completely different thermistor?

upload_2015-1-3_9-34-45.png

upload_2015-1-3_9-36-20.png

If it were me I'd throw a 5k multi turn (maybe 10-20 turn) potentiometer in series and play with the value a bit until you get it right. At work we have numbered indicator knobs that help keep track of exact knob position. I could grab a potentiometer and knob for you if you want. Once you find the ideal value, you could just put a normal resistor in there. You could put a normally open switch in parallel with the resistor, to short it out for summer and return back to factory glow cycle.

Might be worth testing the thermistor to make sure it's even working right too? If you find other 12ht owners don't complain of glow issues, maybe your system actually has an issue somewhere?

That's kindof what I was thinking...the chances of nailing the right resistance on the first try are pretty slim...

If it's cool to scoop one of those pots, then yeah, that'd be great, there's not really a decent place in duncan to buy anything like this, so I'm stuck with browsing the interweb.

Speaking of, I also need a 1k ntc thermistor to get my in/out temp gauge working again, is there a decent place online to order these sortof bits and pieces from in canada?

For my truck, I haven't tested the thermistor, but my glow system seems to behave exactly like everyone else's, doesn't even think about starting to glow until it's about 3c, and at that point it's only for a brief moment, so not much use. Seems like that's how they designed it, for whatever reason. It starts a lot more smoothly with the full 14 seconds of glow when it's close to freezing.

I think the 13bt trucks have the same issue for the most part.

For all this complexity, I'm probably better off just throwing in a toggle switch, labelling it "winter/summer" and just keeping the glow system on semi-manual...it's just kind of an interesting puzzle. :lol:

If it's cool to scoop one of those pots, then yeah, that'd be great,

Speaking of, I also need a 1k ntc thermistor to get my in/out temp gauge working again, is there a decent place online to order these sortof bits and pieces from in canada?

Yup, I'll grab one of the pots and knobs at work tomorrow.

We order a lot of our low volume parts from www.digikey.ca at work. It's got a great search system, so just go find the thermistor you think is right for your temp gauge, and I can include it in one of our orders. Or you can order it; shipping is a flat $8, delivery is next day if your order before 5pm! (they'd have the potentiometer you need too if you are in a rush for it...)

Right...digikey.ca.

May have ordered from them a few years ago.

I've found the thermistor easily enough but there are about a billion pots on that site...

Can you dumb down the specs a little?:lol:

Ok, so many thanks to nick for a cool little pot for adjusting the resistance on the glow system. (that knob is seriously freakin' cool)

But I didn't get around to doing fxxx all with it today.

I tried to resurrect my moribund in/out temp gauge and didn't have much luck, and quickly ran out of any desire to continue, seeing as I don't really give all that much of a s*** about in/out temperature, OR a woefully inaccurate altimeter, I'm looking for ideas on alternate uses for the space.

Gauges are the obvious one, although running the pyro cable and boost hose up there would suck, it'd be much easier to just hack into the wires in the dash and send 12v up there for other uses.

So far, a little garmin is leading the way...although I'm not entirely sure it would get a decent signal not being out on the dash.

Anyone seen any other good uses?

Talking about this thing.....
dsc05325-jpg.879241

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom