61. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another riveting update...you can't turn away.

and the world rejoices at not having to see my glorious buttocks clambering over the back seat to reach the inside knob.

Haha, thats hilarious man. Nice work tho; good to get all these annoying little things fixed.

I was talking to Milson the other day about your rheostat idea . He thinks you are on the right track as far as that goes . But he said if it is having a bit of a hard start issue it might be a good idea to make sure your ip timing is on . He explained it to me and I believe it could be the culprit of some issues I have had in the past with other rigs as well . He has the process worked out . Might be worth the 2 minute drive over to his place to chat about it .

I was talking to Milson the other day about your rheostat idea . He thinks you are on the right track as far as that goes . But he said if it is having a bit of a hard start issue it might be a good idea to make sure your ip timing is on . He explained it to me and I believe it could be the culprit of some issues I have had in the past with other rigs as well . He has the process worked out . Might be worth the 2 minute drive over to his place to chat about it .

Yeah I should go see him, I've only met him briefly once a few years ago, not sure exactly where he lives, I know it's close to me tho, I keep expecting to spot a cruiser farm nearby but haven't seen any other than Nimo's.

The rheostat does seem to work, I haven't totally got it dialled in yet as far as glow times, but it's a lot better than stock. Truck doesn't start badly, hardly hear the starter and it's running. When it gets colder, it still starts just as fast, but shuts off again almost instantly, so I just give it a little hand throttle to keep it going. With a bit of glow it tends to keep running and not cut out.

I'll look into it a bit, I've messed with it on a 3b and a nissan, but haven't tried it on this thing.

:flipoff2:
Oh really...

I meant his ninja skills....your's are terrifying. :lol:

When Jay went turbo on the 2h, we timed the pump with the injection tube as per factory FSM...World of difference in how it sounded and the power, deeper and more diesel sounding like a cummins..

I personally will try yotahead in Kelowna who is building injectors, he claims to take a stalk 3B with turbo and where it would normally fall off around 2800rpm, his injectors make it pull hard past that..

I think he is working on 12ht injector also.

First impressions with the new nozzles and pop pressure at 2100psi:
-Sure is quiet. really smooth idle. Like REALLY smooth. almost sounds a tad retarded.
-I didnt touch the timing , fuel or anything else, and power seems just a touch less. Im pretty sure the pump needs a slight bit of advance to take advantage of the higher pop and bring the power back +some. do that tommorow.
-Starting is most excellent. I didnt use the glow plugs this morning, 3 cranks and running smooth with a little black puff. same thing when I left work at 5pm, but started first crank.
-Runs SMOOTH throughout the rev range. Doesnt sound like it going to come apart above 2900, and the power consistent whereas before it would almost cut back at 2800 and run out of puff. Probably because of that #3 injector.
-No more boost surging at part throttle loaded up. again, was probably from #3 giving an imbalance. So those of you having the part throttle boost surging issue, It's probably due to a large compression difference between 2 or more cylinders.
-EGT's are down about 150-200F in certain conditions, flat ground and slight inclines at highway speed especially. I expect this to improve even more with the timing advanced.

ya its amazing what injectors can do. I had a '90 cummins that ran like s***. my dads heavy mechanic buddy sugegsted injectors so I had Piers diesel in vancouver send me new ones and WOW it transformed the truck. That and a new plate that changed the RPM range of the pump and it felt like double the power.

yeah, some day I'll probably do them, at the moment tho, truck runs fine and there's lots of other things I'd rather deal with first. :meh:

Like bumpers...rims that aren't bent and can fit wheel weights...etc etc...:lol:

Some bling (albeit the greasy sort of bling womenfolk don't fully appreciate)

I do enjoy a good scrounge build...:hillbilly:

I need two more of the fixed end pins, anyone gots?

2015-02-18 15.32.36.jpg

bought em cheap from Aus.
If you don't want those I would consider taking them off your hands.
I dislike my Japanese ones.

bought em cheap from Aus.
If you don't want those I would consider taking them off your hands.
I dislike my Japanese ones.

You maybe should have considered taking them off the hands of the guy who was selling them so cheap a week ago. :flipoff2:

Must be the sunny warm day. That was way more polite than the reply I typed out yesterday.
post-5758-1225601204.gif

Anyways. Welded some stuff today. Gonna weld some more tomorrow. Maybe I'll post a pic later.

Here endeth the update.

Beer break while I let the welder cool off....:hillbilly:

turning out ok. Been a while since I welded anything...basically ended up plating the rear crossmember, boxing it in and adding horns to the sides. Some sorta tire carrier is next.

Don't think I want to do the spindle everyone is all horny for these days....but we'll see.

Tabs on the ends are because I always seem to be looking for somewhere to tie off a tarp on the back corners of my truck.
2015-02-22 11.42.22.jpg

Last edited:
That is wicked; nice work man!! I really like how tight in it is to the truck. You're motivating me to do something about my bumpers....

Really well done! Like the tie down rings, cool!

Look at all that nice new steel you have there big spender! Good design, I like the concave centre bit.

Yeah, turned out better than I thought...about halfway in I was starting to wonder if it was going to look like s*** :lol:

With the shape of the stock rear crossmember, it's actually a pretty easy way to knock one together. Provided your rear crossmember isn't totally ratfxxxed like most canadian 60's...:lol:

And done ish for the time being. Hosed it down with some black paint. No , I didn't grind off the mill scale, but I'd rather spend 10 minutes every 6 months with a rattle can, than 3 hours today with a grinder. :bang:

2015-02-22 13.21.20.jpg
2015-02-22 13.27.40.jpg

I'll mess with shackles tomorrow. Looking at the pretty light is tiring...:beer:

Last edited:
Did some stuff.

Got the last of the greasable bits installed in the front end, not before channelling Cam and pounding my face into the front fender hard enough to leave a dent.

Nothing like grievous brain trauma to start your day off right. Astounding my glasses are still intact. :bang:

Finally found some good stock rims, they were powdercoated black, not that I'm much of a fan of powdercoating, but they were cheaper than getting the ones from Vern sandblasted, so it's all good. I get to have a matching spare rim this way.

As Spike Lee would say, Mo' Betta.

2015-04-06 14.31.27.jpg

And I got most of the way through building a swingout for the spare...just need the tire mount and to sort out a latch.

2015-04-06 16.27.55.jpg

Tire is just hanging from a clamp in the pic...but I figger that's about where I'll mount it...may have to slide the license plate to the left a little...:lol:

And no, I didn't use a trailer spindle for the pivot...:hillbilly:

Those rims/tires look great! Why don't you like powder coated rims?

Looking forward to seeing the swingout when finished.

Lookin good man; nice to see you puttin some time into it.

Did some stuff.

Got the last of the greasable bits installed in the front end, not before channelling Cam and pounding my face into the front fender hard enough to leave a dent.

Nothing like grievous brain trauma to start your day off right. Astounding my glasses are still intact. :bang:

Finally found some good stock rims, they were powdercoated black, not that I'm much of a fan of powdercoating, but they were cheaper than getting the ones from Vern sandblasted, so it's all good. I get to have a matching spare rim this way.

As Spike Lee would say, Mo' Betta.

View attachment 1057704

And I got most of the way through building a swingout for the spare...just need the tire mount and to sort out a latch.

View attachment 1057706
Tire is just hanging from a clamp in the pic...but I figger that's about where I'll mount it...may have to slide the license plate to the left a little...:lol:

And no, I didn't use a trailer spindle for the pivot...:hillbilly:

Face plant eh? I can relate, it takes a hell of a lot of facial fortitude to dent a fender. Well done.

I think I see 3/4 of a big ass U-joint there. Nice move.

Those rims/tires look great! Why don't you like powder coated rims?

Looking forward to seeing the swingout when finished.

Lookin good man; nice to see you puttin some time into it.

Meh, one chip and that's it. Chip usually happens when you first get them mounted, then it's just a matter of time. Paint can be touched up at least.

Face plant eh? I can relate, it takes a hell of a lot of facial fortitude to dent a fender. Well done.

I think I see 3/4 of a big ass U-joint there. Nice move.

Yes. Facial fortitude. Prodigious depth of bone....

Not a u-joint...:flipoff2:

Rear bumper looks good! Those wheel wells look like they're gonna need some lovin'

Plan is to do the wells this spring/summer...however swmbo has inserted a house sized wrench into my plans. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom