60's Hydraulic Arm For Rear Hatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just did this mod as well. 2 rear hatch supports from liftsupportsdepot.com.
1987 FJ60 Lift Supports Part number 70150 Quantity 2 $20.25 each.
Seems to work well. Another thumbs up!

Just replaced my fj62 rear hydraulics:

- Lift Support Depot through ebay for $34/pair

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33087216359...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:3160&vxp=mtr

"Qty (2) Toyota Land Cruiser 1980 To 1989 Liftgate Lift Supports, Tailgate, Hatch" - seller was mrlousstuff

- Removed existing ball joints with the old hydraulics still attached using 12mm wrench. They were tight, but once they got moving it wasn't too bad. I did spray some silicon spray on them to help. They did have some blue threadlock on them.

- Screwed new ball joints (included with purchase) right in using a plyers... they were probably a 14mm or 15mm but since I didn't have one of those, i just used a plyers... went in easy

- Snapped new hydraulics on easy peasy.

15 minute job... well worth the $34!

Just replaced mine last night on 83 FJ60. They are great. The 60# might work but 90# is not overkill.

McMaster Carr
4138T56Gas Spring with Ball-Joint End Fitting, 90 lb Force, 17.13" Extended Length, 6.3" Stroke
$36.80 to my door (1 day)

Removed the old ones with a 12mm and installed the new with a 13. Direct bolt up - no modifications.

About 2 weeks ago I did exactly the same thing as Padalong on my April 1985 FJ60.

Perfect swap out with 90# lift shocks from McMaster.

Which ones from McMaster are you guys using again?
McMaster Carr
4138T56Gas Spring with Ball-Joint End Fitting, 90 lb Force, 17.13" Extended Length, 6.3" Stroke
$36.80 to my door (1 day)

Someone else posted they used 60# and it was great. I followed another post with the 90#. REALLY liking them. Just watch your nose the fist time you open the hatch.

I read a post here with pics on the Hood Gas Shocks Mod. Interesting point is that it uses the same part# from McMaster Carr 4138T56 #90 version also. So if you are doing the rear hatch might as well order two Pairs and do the front Hood Mod while you are in the mood.

I believe mine are #60s... and they are open about like I would expect on a stock vehicle... slow toward the top.

...For my 88 FJ62 the extended length is 17", compressed 11", and the
lift rate is 90#. This may be the same for FJ60s but I can't be
positive.

Just a heads-up. These are NOT the correct dimensions for the '89 FJ62. Ordered a set to the above size, and now I've got to send them back. Should have known to just measure mine. My struts (on the '89) measure 16.25" by 11".

Just a heads-up. These are NOT the correct dimensions for the '89 FJ62. Ordered a set to the above size, and now I've got to send them back. Should have known to just measure mine. My struts (on the '89) measure 16.25" by 11".

Get the ebay ones I linked to from liftsupplydepot. They fit perfect and open perfect. And they are the cheapest to your door.

Just a heads-up. These are NOT the correct dimensions (17"x11") for the '89 FJ62. Ordered a set to the above size, and now I've got to send them back. Should have known to just measure mine. My struts (on the '89) measure 16.25" by 11".

Well I just installed them onto the stock Toyota balls on the lift gate and used a bottle jack to compress the lower ends up 3/4". Seems to be fine.

Used the McMaster-Carr units. $38 shipped. But, I wouldn't recommend this route on an '89.

The eBay units seem like the way to go.

The later FJ-62s must have different mounting locations.

The later FJ-62s must have different mounting locations.

I don't think so. I did my 84 FJ60 and 89 FJ62 with the same gas struts. Pretty certain they are the same. I used new metric ball studs as discussed earlier in the thread.

Here in Australia I got eBay ones locally for A$25.50 + $8.50 shipping:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-L...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d1651392

Not sure what they would sting for shipping to USA

Did both rear liftgate and replaced hood strut with the same gas struts. Remarkably easy to do and just slot straight in (had to fashion a spacer washer for hood struts but used existing holes). See "Hood Gas Struts" in IH8MUD sticky FJ60 and FJ62 FAQ ********* start here and come back often *********

The bonnet struts are the best modification under $50 I reckon.

Just got mine yesterday and put them in.
Easy 15 min job. No more banging my head on cold mornings!
Worth every penny of the $30.00!
Soulda done it earlier.....WAY earlier.

I took the studs out on three cruisers, two of them rusty. No problems, just go slow.
Yes the mcmaster carr studs will not thread in unless you force them, the thread pitch is different.
If you are carefull with the grinder it is no problem cutting them out.

Well I just threaded the McMaster Carr studs in with seemingly no problem. I hope that I didn't damage the threads when I screwed them in, but they seemed to go in well...well perhaps a bit tight. I also used anti-seize compound on the threads.
Has anyone who used the McMaster's ever removed them yet? If so, were the threads damaged?

Zack

Well I just threaded the McMaster Carr studs in with seemingly no problem. I hope that I didn't damage the threads when I screwed them in, but they seemed to go in well...well perhaps a bit tight. I also used anti-seize compound on the threads.
Has anyone who used the McMaster's ever removed them yet? If so, were the threads damaged?

Zack

No problem so far. I did have to tack weld my back nut though. It had broken off.

OK. I'm not as smart as a strut. How do the people that know what they're doing compress the strut to get it on the ball?:bang::hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom