60/62 Mudflap Inner Metal Rust Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have my rear mudflaps off of my 62 while building up the inner wells. Both of them are in decent shape and am going to repaint lettering while off, and clean them up.

My question is one of them appears to be without the inner metal/tin plating, meaning it's flopping excessively. Does anyone know of a repair that's documented? My Body guy mentioned rebuillding with a metal plate on the outside and painting it black. appears to be a sleeve inside of the flap, wondered if anyone has done some repair in the past? I can't be the only one with a rusty inner mudflap metal condition, and seeking ideas.

Thanks
Minnesota Metzcloud

I'm working on that repair right now. The metal that is encased in the rubber seems to have completely dissolved. The metal
that I am using for the repair is- an old Colorado license plate! The plate is made of galvanized metal and is soft / thin enough to cut and shape,
but as stiff as it needs to be. That and some Flex Seal should do the trick. I'll post some pics when the project is done. Also do a search on "mud
flap restoration".

I used some SS a little heavier than a license plate, slid into the rubber 'pocket' and then sealed with multiple coats of Flex Seal. I also used fender washers on the vertical section, also covered in Flex Seal, to reinforce where the bolts go thru. 3M double sided tape to secure to body.

SS is a better fix, for sure. I used what I happened to have on hand.

Thanks for giving me the confidence to dig out the rust nuggets and dust tonight. Going to do one for now, the other is more intact and less crunchy. I'll pickup some flexsteel tomorrow - would that be the paint can style or spray paint? Figure out what gauge of SS/Tin to use, and bend angle for stuffing. I am only going to attempt the horizontal piece, I can see the bend in it. I looked on the site and couldn't find anything for mudflap repair, over 50 screens of mudflap postings but a lot of them are the "wanted" postings. I am pretty impressed that the rubber is still good on mine for 31 years, lots of sand/gravel/rust in the pockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom