5vz-FE Supercharger leaking at the bypass valve elbow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
I think that's what its called, by bypass valve elbow.

Been pulling a P0171 Code for a lean condition. Sprayed some starter fluid around the supercharger and found the idle changed pretty drastically when I sprayed around the elbow for the bypass valve. It actually moves quite a bit when you grab it by hand.

I know there is an o-ring in the upper part. Probably one where the bypass valve is as well.

Does anyone know where I might be able to source seals or gaskets for these?

sc.jpg

Yes it is a common leak when they get older. Unbolt the whole bypass valve, the upper part just slides out once you take the 4 allens out. Then you will see a c-clip holding the elbow to the valve. Open up the clip and pull the elbow off. Take the o-ring off of the bypass valve, and take the o ring off of the elbow. Clean everything very well. Also look to see how your bypass valve brass butterfly looks. If its worn, Jonbond performance has new butterflys. It is likely worn and will cause a boost leak. You will have to go to a parts store that has an assortment of 0 rings and find o rings to replace the old ones. Bring the parts with you so you can match them up and make sure they fit. For the oval oring on the elbow I just used a round oring and stretched it a little around the elbow. I work at lexus, and ironically if you get a oil filter for a rx350, the smaller o ring that comes with the filter fits perfectly on the elbow. The o ring on the bypass valve you will just have to find a matching one at a parts store. when I assembled everything I used ultra gray silicone over all the o rings to ensure no leaks. Don't be afraid to put a lot on. Also use a thin layer of the ultra grey where the bypass valve bolts to the supercharger. Assemble everything with the silicone wet. Be careful when inserting the elbow into the charger housing, if you slide it past the machined sealing surface you will tear the o ring when you try to pull the elbow out. Once you have it all bolted back down, let it sit for a few hours so the silicone can dry and your good to go for a long long time. This is also a good time to change the nose cone fluid. I got the jon bond stuff and it made my run quieter. I used 5 ounces.

Wow, awesome. Just what I was looking for. Looks like Jonbond has an oring kit as well.

Cant thank you enough. Saved me lots of time. The nosecone on mine was replace with a rebuilt one about 40k ago so I'm good there.

Wow, awesome. Just what I was looking for. Looks like Jonbond has an oring kit as well.

Cant thank you enough. Saved me lots of time. The nosecone on mine was replace with a rebuilt one about 40k ago so I'm good there.
I didn't know he had an o ring kit. Still I recommend adding silicone to them to ensure they don't leak, the elbow tries to move a low under boost. Even though your nose cone is rebuilt, I would recommend changing the nose cone oil. Its not hard to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom