5VZ-FE Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While this is not Cruiser related (engine option never being in any Cruiser body) a little Toyota tech is always fun to share.

Brief back story, Frame rotted, Got wrecked but running Donor, kept parts (engine, doors, fenders, ect.)

Fast track today, Head Gaskets starting to go in engine currently in truck. Had an inkling for a while since it would clear up after warm up, but recently loose about 1/2 gal in 60 miles....

Among the millions of other things that need to be addressed on this truck, whats one more item to the list... I'll be asking to ride shot gun for a while....

Plan - Break down engine to block, check cylinder walls and bearings, if all check out reseal engine and prep for manual trans swap...

Engine has 270k roughly, while the engine in my truck has just under 240K, this one is a little less abused.

May consider a supercharger if a deal comes around on one, otherwise naturally aspirated it will stay.

Okay enough babble on to the Pictures!!

Start:

Today I completed Removing wiring harness and accessories:

5VZ Designation on block and heads:

I say stroke it out and supercharge it.

I get it now, I was thinking it was an FJ cruiser motor this AM at breakfast.

Ah gotcha, makes sense now.
Yes this is the older V6 from the 96-02 4Runner and 95.5-04 Tacoma

Hopefully after this weekend's debacle with my stock 4Runner's radiator ill be able to get some projects back in order and continue to get this engine prepped

Ah gotcha, makes sense now.
Yes this is the older V6 from the 96-02 4Runner and 95.5-04 Tacoma

Hopefully after this weekend's debacle with my stock 4Runner's radiator ill be able to get some projects back in order and continue to get this engine prepped
Radiator may have popped due to combustion pressure entering the cooling system via bad head gasket.

That's the other 4runner. The rad fails internally allowing atf and coolant to mix.

Radiator may have popped due to combustion pressure entering the cooling system via bad head gasket.

That's the other 4runner. The rad fails internally allowing atf and coolant to mix.

^^^ too many projects to keep track of lol!
But I don't disagree, this could be a long time coming and finally its letting go completely. Back in the summer of 13' before I left Toyota I was having an over heating issue, popped the first rad I had put in able to warranty it, but found fan clutch wasn't strong enough to pull air and it started again, go dangerously close to the red, I am sure that didn't help at the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom