4x4 Weirdness - no drive to front wheels with transfer engaging properly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AussieHJCruza

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.completecruisers.com.au
Hello 70 series crew,

First thread in this section so be nice...as the signature line suggests, this is my first 70 series, and hoping someone can shed some light on troubleshooting a problem I'm having with no drive to front axle.

The symptom is, when I lock the hubs and shift into 4H or 4L, there is no drive to the front axle, but no grinding or anything.

So far, I have tried/verified the following:

1) Transfer is shifting and front driveshaft locks solid with engine off, 4H or 4L and in gear, so assuming transfer case is good.
2) with front axle disengaged, front shaft turns smoothly and freely so I assume bearings in the diff are good.
3) With truck on hoist, hubs locked, spinning either front wheel doesn't move the other (in the rear, the other turns in the opposite direction which I would have thought would be normal) or turn the driveshaft
4) With one wheel at a time jacked up, both hubs engaged, turning either wheel does not result in movement of the driveshaft.

This truck doesn't show signs of being used hard, however, looks like maintenance may have been a bit lacking, birf soup, knuckles leaking etc.

My assumption is that I have a broken inner axle or birf, however, I have not been able to tell which side and would prefer not to tear the front end apart until I have all required parts - I need to do a knuckle job and have a terrain tamer kit ready to go, but would like to get anything else needed beforehand if possible.

Am I

1) Missing something obvious
2) Following troubleshooting procedure that is flawed
3) Do I have 2 broken axles
4) Something else

Be glad of any assistance

Are they manual locking hubs or automatic? If automatic my first inclination would be that the hubs aren’t actually locking (they have a notoriously weak motor mechanism).

Are they manual locking hubs or automatic? If automatic my first inclination would be that the hubs aren’t actually locking (they have a notoriously weak motor mechanism).
Aisin manual hubs

Hmmm, in that case the only options seem to be that both hubs are broken, or both birfs.

When I first got my Cruiser I ran into a similar problem. I had put in new wheel bearings and on re-assembly I put the spring in one hub the wrong way, making it not engage when needed to. Being an open diff I didn't have any drive on the front. Maybe, possibly, both your hubs are wrongly assembled and not engaging ?

Hmm, dammit. Rightio, I suppose I had better get both sides purchased.

Wouldn't a broken Birf click and all that?

Check the free wheeling hubs before buying any parts. DSPO may have assembled them wrong or left out parts. Always good practice to give em a strip & a grease on a new to you 4wd anyway.

It may be that broken part(s) have been removed, make sure there are actually axles in there!

Cheers
Clint

I also vote hub to be checked first

Hello 70 series crew,

First thread in this section so be nice...as the signature line suggests, this is my first 70 series, and hoping someone can shed some light on troubleshooting a problem I'm having with no drive to front axle.

The symptom is, when I lock the hubs and shift into 4H or 4L, there is no drive to the front axle, but no grinding or anything.

So far, I have tried/verified the following:

1) Transfer is shifting and front driveshaft locks solid with engine off, 4H or 4L and in gear, so assuming transfer case is good.
2) with front axle disengaged, front shaft turns smoothly and freely so I assume bearings in the diff are good.
3) With truck on hoist, hubs locked, spinning either front wheel doesn't move the other (in the rear, the other turns in the opposite direction which I would have thought would be normal) or turn the driveshaft
4) With one wheel at a time jacked up, both hubs engaged, turning either wheel does not result in movement of the driveshaft.

This truck doesn't show signs of being used hard, however, looks like maintenance may have been a bit lacking, birf soup, knuckles leaking etc.

My assumption is that I have a broken inner axle or birf, however, I have not been able to tell which side and would prefer not to tear the front end apart until I have all required parts - I need to do a knuckle job and have a terrain tamer kit ready to go, but would like to get anything else needed beforehand if possible.

Am I

1) Missing something obvious
2) Following troubleshooting procedure that is flawed
3) Do I have 2 broken axles
4) Something else

Be glad of any assistance

Years ago I bought an FJ40 that had been basically unused for years. I had the same thing you're describing. Turns out both hubs were kinda dried out and sticking. I pulled them apart, and got everything properly lubed and the problem went away.

So...did some investigating last night;
No innards in the passenger side hub...that would explain!
Looks like someone has been in this side sometime because there was no circlip on the end of the birf and no hub parts...
20190919_212818.jpg

At least they didn't remove the axles......did they?
Nope, axles were still here so could be worse I guess. Bought a new aisin hub today so hopefully 4x4 tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom