4x4 labs Bike Rack... anyone actually use one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a truck with a 4x4 labs rear bumper. I'm interested in the bike rack for the swing arm. Does anyone have pictures and a review of the rack? I'm looking at the trey style to carry my MTB. I have searched, and all I find is a few for sale threads and not much else. I'd like to hear real world experience as well as see some decent pictures of how it works. Is it adjustable? I ride with different people including my kids on their 24" bikes. Is is a good option or should I fab up a receiver hitch for the swingout to use a standard bike rack? We use a North Shore and like it, but I'm afraid 4 bikes hanging on that arm would be too much. Any words of wisdom??

I just got a truck with a 4x4 labs rear bumper. I'm interested in the bike rack for the swing arm. Does anyone have pictures and a review of the rack? I'm looking at the trey style to carry my MTB. I have searched, and all I find is a few for sale threads and not much else. I'd like to hear real world experience as well as see some decent pictures of how it works. Is it adjustable? I ride with different people including my kids on their 24" bikes. Is is a good option or should I fab up a receiver hitch for the swingout to use a standard bike rack? We use a North Shore and like it, but I'm afraid 4 bikes hanging on that arm would be too much. Any words of wisdom??

Holy s***... I literally just loaded my bike into the truck to take for a ride a little later and as I closed my 4x4 labs swing out told myself I needed to look into their bike rack.

Too crazy

Don’t think 4x4 labs have a 4 bike option. I would stick with a hitch rack, more flexible and can be used with different cars. Also try rack that locks onto the wheels instead hanging from top tubes of bikes. Much easier and more secure.

I personally really like 1UP racks but they are pretty spendy like all good racks.

Do you think the swing arm will support 4 bikes if I build a receiver for it?

It can support a 90 to 100lb spare tire/ wheel so I would imagine it could handle 4 bikes just fine....

I have one of these and it's bloody awesome! Another option to consider.

iSi-4x4-ED-side.jpg

It can support a 90 to 100lb spare tire/ wheel so I would imagine it could handle 4 bikes just fine....

Believe it or not 4 bikes can be a lot heavier than a spare tire plus it’s out back farther so the leverage is higher. Now and days the electric bikes are all the rage and it’s around 40lbs each. An average $2000 mountain bikes are just under 30lbs still, and 4 of them are bouncing on a 6 feet beam.

If you're not towing and bike-hauling at the same time, which sounds like a bad idea anyway, why not just use the tow hitch with an extension to get you past the spare tire if needed? You can get a bike rack with a swing-away hinge on it. @Qball is right, 4 bikes on the end of a long tube seem like a recipe for spindle damage.

I just use the yakima spare tire mount for my bike rack. You can adjust the offset on the mount (inboard) so the bikes don't hang out past the side of the vehicle. IMO, it is easier to use than hitch mount since the bikes now move with the swing arm. Only issue is you can't use a trasharoo at the same time. That is generally not an issue for me since I'll only ever use one or the other...no bikes on the longer overlanding trips.

Do you think the swing arm will support 4 bikes if I build a receiver for it?

I asked Luke this question and he said yes without a doubt.

I use a 1up.

Believe it or not 4 bikes can be a lot heavier than a spare tire plus it’s out back farther so the leverage is higher. Now and days the electric bikes are all the rage and it’s around 40lbs each. An average $2000 mountain bikes are just under 30lbs still, and 4 of them are bouncing on a 6 feet beam.

Ebike? I won’t even comment. My bikes cost a lot more than $2k and weigh a lot less than 30lbs and I don’t worry about them one bit on my 1up.

I had a hitch receiver welded to my Jerry can holder. Keeps it up high enough that I can wheel with my bikes on there and it swings out of the way with the cans. I only use a 2 bike Thule tray rack but I've run a number of decently challenging trails with two bikes there and have had no issues with strength/weight. I'll try to dig up some pics when I have a min later.

I asked Luke this question and he said yes without a doubt.

I use a 1up.

Ebike? I won’t even comment. My bikes cost a lot more than $2k and weigh a lot less than 30lbs and I don’t worry about them one bit on my 1up.

Not everyone is like you or have your taste in bikes, in fact most people can’t afford 10,000 plus dollars bikes. When I load my beach cruisers they are definitely over 30lbs a pop, yes they were cheap.

I was exaggerating to emphasize my confidence in my setup. No need to play defense. I’m broke.

Perfect. Thanks for all the response. I’m going to fab up a receiver and use a 1up. Been wanting one for a while!

Here are the pics; I'm confused by the single larger diameter tube of the shorter tubes .. can't find pics on the web. Can anyone provide some detail shots of this wheel tray style of 4x4 Labs bike rack? Especially the upper part of the rack? How are the exhaust clamps applied? Can the wheel trays be rotated post weld assembly? What is the single small flat bar piece for? Obviously the wheel tray sides are welded to the short tubes to form the trays. The longer ones reach through the central hole in the tray to the main rack support. Is the single tube clamped by the exhaust clamps into the main support tube for bike length adjustment. Where do the two triangle pieces get welded on at?
IMG_1841.JPG

Different Angle Pic. I can only find one image of this tray style on the web and it doesn't show much detail. hep me!
IMG_1842.JPG

Here are the pics; I'm confused by the single larger diameter tube of the shorter tubes .. can't find pics on the web. Can anyone provide some detail shots of this wheel tray style of 4x4 Labs bike rack? Especially the upper part of the rack? How are the exhaust clamps applied? Can the wheel trays be rotated post weld assembly? What is the single small flat bar piece for? Obviously the wheel tray sides are welded to the short tubes to form the trays. The longer ones reach through the central hole in the tray to the main rack support. Is the single tube clamped by the exhaust clamps into the main support tube for bike length adjustment. Where do the two triangle pieces get welded on at?
View attachment 2077469

Different Angle Pic. I can only find one image of this tray style on the web and it doesn't show much detail. hep me!
View attachment 2077472

I have a built version if you need measurements, but I think the angle on the inner tray is off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom