4wd Hi popping out of gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the first time I drove it in the snow since I bought it. While pulling a medium grade the 4wd selector kept popping out of gear. During decline in high it did not pop out. Linkage, fork, selector touching the body?

These are where I am going to check first. Any other suggestions?? Thanks :-[ SOA FJ-60 wagon

Check the shifter boot first.

You mean to see if it is causing resistance? It touches the boot but doesn't feel like much resistance.

It only takes about 1/4 pound of pressure to pop it out of high. It doesn't feel like it locks into place. I'm thinking the vibration in the drivetrain is enough to pop it out.

mine (and many others here) do the same thing. I think my shifter boot rubs the shifter and knocks it out.

I just took a look at it. It seems to be better if you press down on the boot and compress it from inside the cab. I will give it a try next storm Thanks.

If it still gives me problems I will just mount a spring in the cab and hook it on the shifter when I use High 4. :D

[quote author=troyintahoe link=board=1;threadid=7350;start=msg61361#msg61361 date=1068505147]If it still gives me problems I will just mount a spring in the cab and hook it on the shifter when I use High 4. :D
[/quote]

Charm only a cruiser owner would understand ;)

From the TLC FAQL:

Transmissions/transfer cases popping out of gear are either the shifter binding against the boot, bad motor/tranny mounts or a desparate cry for a rebuild. If it's the latter and it's left for any length of time, severe gear/shift collar damage will result and rebuild costs will increase exponentially.

Troyintahoe,

Look for a 17mm hex head plug in line with the 4WD actuator rod on the side of the transfer case. This holds a spring and a detent ball for the 4wd shifter fork. If for any reason the ball does not put enough pressure on the fork detent, it becomes very easy for the transfer to pop out of 4WD. Remove the spring and see if it is not broken or missing. You may need a magnet to fish the spring and or the ball. The plug may also be loose. HTH,
Dave

Check that the linkage is also adjusted correctly, It could also be the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom