4wd disengages only in reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 88 FJ62 that I daily drive and take camping. I rarely use 4wd. I recently took the truck out on a short trail and engaged 4Hi. Was having trouble disengaging 4Hi but eventually was able to disengage after going in reverse for a foot or two. Since then I've tested out 4Hi in a couple scenarios: 1) locked hubs + 4Hi = only disengages in reverse; 2) unlocked hubs + 4Hi = engages and disengages on the fly. I've searched ih8mud for 4wd problems and it seems like the majority of problems involves the 4wd solenoid. I'm assuming the solenoid is working since it engages and disengages with hubs unlocked (at least the light comes on). Or is this a sign that the solenoids are going out (not enough power with hubs locked)? I'd like to be able to switch to 4wd on the fly in time for winter. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Are you disengaging on pavement or soft sand / dirt surface?

While still rolling on a dirt road, disengage 4WD with your foot off the gas and transmission in neutral.
What you're experiencing is normal F/R drivetrain binding. The longer you can drive on a dirt road while trying to disengage it, the better. The moment you get on pavement, the tires won't be able to slip and it's difficult to release the torsion.

While still rolling on a dirt road, disengage 4WD with your foot off the gas and transmission in neutral.
What you're experiencing is normal F/R drivetrain binding. The longer you can drive on a dirt road while trying to disengage it, the better. The moment you get on pavement, the tires won't be able to slip and it's difficult to release the torsion.

Thanks!

just checking, but your wheels are the same on all four corners? If not, this can make the problem worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom