Reverse Lights - Resolved V8 4L65E (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasLandCruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
pin.it
5.3 V8 4L65 Transmission

After the stand alone harness install my reverse lights weren’t hooked up by shop. Found the 12 volt circuit wire working proper off the ECU curious of appropriate place to tie the 12 volt signal into that circuit to trigger the 2 tail bulbs. 4L65 NSS works and everything is normal in park and neutral.

The shifter position off the shift rod is shown here. That’s telling the 12 volt signal wire on or off. Would I simply split that to both bulbs? Unfortunately the shop did not make notes and I do not have the setup that was there before. If I chased the 2 leads upstream from the bulbs the FSM shows to the safety switch, and all the wires match the FSM.

The 12 volt signal coming off ECU is pretty small, like 16-18 gauge possibly smaller. Perhaps that’s controlling a something else.

IMG_9887.jpeg

IMG_9890.jpeg

Last edited:
Reverse lights don’t have anything to do with the ECU. Simply use the FJ62 reverse light +12v wire, into the position switch, and back out of the position switch to the lights.

This is why I make this. If your original harness isn’t modified you could buy this and plug it in, you’d have to swap to the earlier position switch though (not expensive)

Reverse lights don’t have anything to do with the ECU. Simply use the FJ62 reverse light +12v wire, into the position switch, and back out of the position switch to the lights.

This is why I make this. If your original harness isn’t modified you could buy this and plug it in, you’d have to swap to the earlier position switch though (not expensive)

I was looking at your harness on your website last night. Looks like an option.

I’ve got the NSS on the 4L65E transmission that sends the signal to the ECU. I’ve got a dedicated reverse light 12 volt on/off single wire that was in the new harness. Confirmed that functions properly on and off with the shifter in reverse.

Are you saying to abandon that and plumb in different? I attached the photo of the switch here

IMG_0943.jpeg

Here is a snip from the Painless harness manual:

• Lt. Green- This 18 gauge wire connects to the reverse light fuse of your chassis
harness’ fuse block. This wire provides 12 Volts to the part of the PRNDL switch
that controls the reverse lights of the vehicle. Use one of the blue Posi-Taps in
the parts kit to make this connection.

You could do that as well.
Either way would be the same result.
If someone already cut the two round A440f position switch connectors off your trucks original harness then my harness won’t really gain you much.
Does your NSS work? Does your truck only start in Park/nuetral?

Reverse lights are red with blue tracer stripe. There’s no reverse light fuse on a FJ60/62.

I went back and edited and added a few more questions.
The Toyota NSS connectors were removed.

It will start in park and neutral only.

I’d assume this was all the factory connections you referenced. This is what was trimmed out a year ago:

Cruiser Rebuild (385).jpeg

Yes, that white one and blue one at the bottom are the two that went to the original A440f position switch. Locate the reverse
light wire within that bundle, (I think it is the blue wire on that white connector), hook up your current reverse light wire to that.

For everyone else in the future, just buy my plug and play harness :lol:

Yes, that white one and blue one at the bottom are the two that went to the original A440f position switch. Locate the reverse
light wire within that bundle, (I think it is the blue wire on that white connector), hook up your current reverse light wire to that.

Harness installer left some things to be desired. I’m trying to clean up some mess.

Thanks for input

On the white connector it was yellow green stripe and yellow red stripe. None of the wires there worked.

Plan B. I pulled the tail lights to make sure the colors match the “backup LT”. Drivers side has 2 red black stripe and passenger side has 1 red black stripe. Question is do those travel up the cab each side? I found a blue connector and white connector holding all the lights at front and rear of cab. Behind kick panel and behind brake light housing. Everything looks eom only thing I saw was the tow light harness tapped in on rear drivers side.

I’m going to try one more time before I just ditch disturbing the chassis harness too much. Want to tap into the back up lights under dash before they split and go back from dash but not under the hood.

After digging some more found a write up similar to your blue wire you mentioned Matt. I’m going to read this a few more times. I went through the harness that comes out of firewall low passenger side several times and did not find a solid blue. My concern is the engine harness guy when he was making the harness for transmission may have cut some of that out. May explain why he covered the reverse light in the loom.

This is what I need to identify. The different transmission plugs and wires on the ground is what they removed. Wires hanging that are yellow are still there. I did find the 3 yellow yellow green stripe and 1 yellow red stripe bundled together that the link above referenced. Yellow green stripe had 12 volt and yellow red stripe 6.5 volts. I did find one blue wire and it was ignition 12 volt.

Cruiser Rebuild (398).jpeg

I have a FJ62 here with everything plugged in and working I can post up pics tomorrow

I have a FJ62 here with everything plugged in and working I can post up pics tomorrow
That’d be fantastic.

Do the reverse light function key on engine off? I was concerned and did my test at idle just in case.

I’ve isolated the wires that y’all discussed in the other post with “blue wire” and the other 4 yellows with green stripe and red stripe

Added question: I’ve been reading back through mx and heavy mx as well as the schematics and trying to figure out where it’s noted if any what the wires do once it leaves the stock NSS. Is this where jumpers and small wires go on to lights. If I had a better understanding downstream of the transmission that may help. Or does it just get grassroots from there?

Last edited:
Here is a picture of one of my harnesses plugged into a swap we just finished here. Blue wire. The connector colors aren’t consistent across FJ62 production but the wire colors are, it’s the blue wire in the round 3-pin connector (white in your pictures).

FFA613EC-7539-4A14-A1D1-B97842BA9B1D.jpeg
096B68A1-04EE-4BBC-A7D9-51DFBAD2A61E.jpeg

That’d be fantastic.

Added question: I’ve been reading back through mx and heavy mx as well as the schematics and trying to figure out where it’s noted if any what the wires do once it leaves the stock NSS. Is this where jumpers and small wires go on to lights. If I had a better understanding downstream of the transmission that may help. Or does it just get grassroots from there?

I really tried but I have no idea what you are trying to ask here

Here is a picture of one of my harnesses plugged into a swap we just finished here. Blue wire. The connector colors aren’t consistent across FJ62 production but the wire colors are, it’s the blue wire in the round 3-pin connector (white in your pictures).

View attachment 3492915View attachment 3492918

I really tried but I have no idea what you are trying to ask here
✅

Edit: sorry Matt made sense to me but came out wrong with last question, long day. The exchange you had in 2018 is what I was looking for. Black Red to the reverse lights. Theory is I already have the 12 volt dedicated wire coming out of the NSS for the 4L65. So that solid green wire will go direct to the black red to lights in that bundle. The blue wire / yellow green yellow red isn’t needed in my case, that’s what the green is doing.

Thread 'H55 reverse lights -- RESOLVED'
H55 reverse lights -- RESOLVED - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/h55-reverse-lights-resolved.1056415/

Last edited:
Good news, the Red w/ Black Stripe (not Black w/ Red Stripe for me) goes to the reverse lights. So if you’re reading this future self, use an inline breaker instead of fuses for troubleshooting. 4.5 amps with both lights and the green off of the neutral safety switch for the 4L65E transmission worked.

When you provide hot with blue that’s going to transmission and doing the jumper thing with yellow and red stripe. As my original post I’m already providing the necessary hot when shifted to reverse.

Matt thanks for the input

trim.A730DEFB-4368-4557-B44A-319E57AE8118.gif

IMG_0962.jpeg

IMG_0965.jpeg

IMG_0964.jpeg

Last edited:
This is why I made the swap harnesses :lol:

It was cut out before I started this cleanup, besides I had it in my basket on your website the day before so my heart was in the right spot. Decided I’d better ask questions first. Good thing you guys have been here to help. Next challenge is laying all this out on a nice spring day and making a new harness that flows. It’s getting busy under here. This stuff is a beating…

IMG_0966.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom