4spd convertion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

its actually a 72, the person i bought it from lied.... so i made my name before i found that out.... so that means that i have a j30 transmission. also the gear shifting instructions on my glove box door are for a four speed, which i now know is an h41.

Well, a 4 speed can be an H41, not imported to the US, or an H42 which is the "normal" US 4 speed. Consider the 420/465 conversion. I think either will use your 3 speed bellhousing.

GL

Ed

nope, i jsut read alll of the sm420 and 65 write ups i could find. the tech link section has been very hepfull. i decided to go with with the sm420. i just donth have the money for it now, but it will be done before i go to cruise moab next year.

74fj40 said:
nope, i jsut read alll of the sm420 and 65 write ups i could find. the tech link section has been very hepfull. i decided to go with with the sm420. i just donth have the money for it now, but it will be done before i go to cruise moab next year.

If you run across a 465 while looking for a 420, grab it. Those 420s are pretty tough to find (at least around here) and the 465 is more common because it's from later years. First gear isn't quite as low, but almost as good, and the later trans is synchronized in first. Shifts smoother too.

well its kinda funny, theres one sitting in mydriveway right now... its in my brother 51 chevy pickup. hes away at school, but i dont think he would be very happy to come home to his truck and theres no tranny in it

74fj40 said:
well its kinda funny, theres one sitting in mydriveway right now... its in my brother 51 chevy pickup. hes away at school, but i dont think he would be very happy to come home to his truck and theres no tranny in it

LOL! Maybe you could swap in something less, maybe a floorshift threespeed and he might never know. First is 'compound low' that most people driving them in small trucks hardly ever used.

Hi All:

I don't think there is anything wrong with using the J30 three speed transmission and 35 inch tires. You should probably swap-in either 4.56 or 4.88 ratio differential gears, but if running a "F" or 2F engine things should be otherwise fine.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Hi All:

The "three speed" clutch disc / flywheel / pressure plate will work just fine with a four speed Toyota transmission (H41 or 42.)

Toyota used to be a very "evolutionary" company, engineering-wise. Thus, when they changed a design it was usually a net improvement over the previous, older design. So, the four speed "diafram" type pressure plate (as used with tthe H41 or 42 ) is probably a better design than the older "three finger" type pressure plate used with the J30 transmissions.

HTH.

Alan
Seattle

honk said:
If you run across a 465 while looking for a 420, grab it. Those 420s are pretty tough to find (at least around here) and the 465 is more common because it's from later years. First gear isn't quite as low, but almost as good, and the later trans is synchronized in first. Shifts smoother too.

The sm465 is non synchro in first and reverse, just like the sm420. It isn't a problem because you almost never have to downshift into first while you aremoving.

I have a 71 f engine with the 3 spd bell housing, and clutch, i'm gonna throw it in my 69 fj40, i was going to do the 4 spd 3spd t-case swap but my 3spd trans and t-case went missing. my friend has a rusted to hell 76 fj40, he said i could pull the 2f and trans and t-case, the 2f needs to be rebuilt but my question is will the 4spd tranny and t-case fit? i remember reading something about them being longer and having to fab up a new cross-member when doing to 4spd 3spd t-case swap.

okay I am going to bump this thread since I am confused.........I will be getting a fj-40 with a 4.3L chevy adapted to the Toyota 3-speed tranny(floor shifted). I also have a really solid(feels rebuilt and tight) 4 speed tranny with the transfer still attached that I think I am going to want to swap in eventually.......will it bolt right up? The 4 speed is out of an 86 Fj60

lunyou

okay I am going to bump this thread since I am confused.........I will be getting a fj-40 with a 4.3L chevy adapted to the Toyota 3-speed tranny(floor shifted). I also have a really solid(feels rebuilt and tight) 4 speed tranny with the transfer still attached that I think I am going to want to swap in eventually.......will it bolt right up? The 4 speed is out of an 86 Fj60

lunyou

No.
The 3 speed and 4speed use different bellhousings.
You can get the right bellhousing from either AA or Downey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom