4 new tires or 5? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ordered 4 new Michelin LTX M/S tires to replace the stock Dunlop tires on my 2016 LC.

The spare is still going to be the Dunlop.

How bad could it be if I had a catastrophic tire failure and had to drive some great distance with one Dunlop and three Michelin’s?

Ordered 4 new Michelin LTX M/S tires to replace the stock Dunlop tires on my 2016 LC.

The spare is still going to be the Dunlop.

How bad could it be if I had a catastrophic tire failure and had to drive some great distance with one Dunlop and three Michelin’s?
If they are the same size your probably fine. Keep in mind you want all wheels to be the same diameter so as not to increase stresses on the drive train. I buy 5 and rotate the spare into the mix, so all tires wear down at the same rate.

^What he said.

I keep rotating just the 4. Spare always kept original. Never drove on spare more than a day. Currently riding on 20" wheels and spare is still 18" on crap dunlop

people have been buying 4 tires and using the original spare for many years. That being said, I bought 5 so they would all match diameter as I was buying bigger tires. If I was staying stock, I would have bought 4 and left the spare.

people have been buying 4 tires and using the original spare for many years. That being said, I bought 5 so they would all match diameter as I was buying bigger tires. If I was staying stock, I would have bought 4 and left the spare.

OTOH, doing a 5 tire rotation is a great option too, since it means you are getting *full use* of the “spare” rather than just waiting for age to require eventual replacement of the big, unused rubber thing under the truck. ;)

Agreed, and I have been doing a 5 tire rotation on this set. OF course, they are going on the classifieds at some point as I have 5 RW wheels in my garage waiting for tires. Hopefully before spring.

I have to look at my 5 tire rotation pattern 10-15 times, as I do the rotation. :) Just to get it right.

I have to look at my 5 tire rotation pattern 10-15 times, as I do the rotation. :) Just to get it right.

I think that’s why a local tire shop did this when they rotated mine according to my preferred pattern (I still have to pull out my cheat sheet)... So they didn’t get confused.

Leaned each at its destination before installing any of them. If you have steady jack stands, you could do this, but would make me nervous. :) No lift here...

C38AA9EE-2BBF-4286-A7A5-BC4D7B5E0561.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m inclined to keep the Dunlop spare a couple more years.

I’m a little worried about how the LC is going to drive with the Dunlop spare installed in the middle of long trip to Big Bend or Colorado.

If you’re worried about it, then replace the spare. How much is the cost to do so? A few tanks of gas? How much is peace of mind worth to you?

When I bought my KO2s, I bought 5.

I think that’s why a local tire shop did this when they rotated mine according to my preferred pattern (I still have to pull out my cheat sheet)... So they didn’t get confused.

Leaned each at its destination before installing any of them. If you have steady jack stands, you could do this, but would make me nervous. :) No lift here...

View attachment 1855157

camber looks a little negative...might see some uneven wear on that set up. :rofl:

I always do a 5 tire rotation if I have the option. The #1 reason is that in case you have a flat when you're less than 50% tread, you're not forced into trying to find a similarly worn tire to match the other 3, or replacing the other 3 tires prematurely. Then I buy 1 new tire of the brand/type I intend to buy the next time I buy tires for the spare and complete a 4 tire rotation on the 4 tires until they're shot. Then buy 4 new ones and start the process over.

It also extends your tire life ~20%, and you don't have to worry about mismatched tires affecting the full time 4x4.

The other reason is that if I am out somewhere and I have a flat, I'm not worried that my spare is too old/wrong size (like some Jeep owners with the 29" spare and 35" tires) etc.

If you’re worried about it, then replace the spare. How much is the cost to do so? A few tanks of gas? How much is peace of mind worth to you?

When I bought my KO2s, I bought 5.
This. Given the full time 4wd system, a same sized spare is good insurance. I bought a 5th RW wheel and a matched replacement tire and it’s paid off more than once. Instead of a worry some Issue and trying to find an open tire shop that may/may not have a matching tire, decision was easy.

View attachment 1855157
What tires are those?

If they are the same size your probably fine. Keep in mind you want all wheels to be the same diameter so as not to increase stresses on the drive train. I buy 5 and rotate the spare into the mix, so all tires wear down at the same rate.

A five tire rotation is the way to go. A few big advantages:

1) All you need is a single jack to easily complete a full tire rotation. I've rotated tires in a parking lot while on a roadtrip. Very easy and good peace-of-mind (I know they were torqued correctly).
2) Keeps your spare tire very close to the same size as your four main tires (echoing your tire diameter / drive train stress comment above).
3) Good muscle memory / training for changing a tire. It's a lot easier to change a tire on the side of the road (in the dark), when you've done it a half dozen times before in your own driveway.

4) Your tires will last 25% longer so it's not really costing you any extra
5) if you lose a tire due to non-repairable damage you still have 4 matching tires until they wear out or you lose another - at that point get an inexpensive spare and start doing 4 tire rotations

4) Your tires will last 25% longer so it's not really costing you any extra
5) if you lose a tire due to non-repairable damage you still have 4 matching tires until they wear out or you lose another - at that point get an inexpensive spare and start doing 4 tire rotations

Yep, great points as well.

My list was not all inclusive :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom