4 banger LC, thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Other business owners who manage fleets have come to the same conclusion, no more diesels.

This. Diesels are all but dead in the US.
The shortest time I've ever owned a vehicle was my last powerstroke. I sold it after only 10 months. I made about $6k after cost of repairs due to covid timing. So, it worked out financially for me - but it was enough to learn my lesson. Again. I'm sure someone has had a modern diesel that's trouble free for 200k miles - but I haven't met any of them. I even find myself daydreaming of GM's 3.0 diesel. The idea of the diesel is just soo much better than the actual experience of owning one.

I used to own a diesel truck too, (pre DEF) and it was great. Bulletproof engine, efficient and low fuel and maintenance costs.

Modern diesels pickups are not that.

I manage a small fleet at work. We have several RAMs of various ages. Our single Diesel (RAM 2500) is by far the most expensive thing we own to maintain. Oil and filter changes cost 4 times as much. Any and every repair part costs at least twice as much. It's like owning a German vehicle without any of the benefits.

Diesel costs more now too.

Any savings that diesels used to bring to the table with fuel savings is now lost in greater costs of maintenance. We will never buy a diesel pickup again.

I'm not sure why diesels never took here but they didn't. Now they have a stigma.
Agreed. I've been stuck on the side of the road with a rental Mitsubishi Fuso Box truck as the engine slowly cut power due to a fault code. It was a problem with the O2 sensor connector, but it took the service tech 25 minutes with a computer just to figure that out.

Recently I had a F250 PowerStroke as a rental (less than 10K miles on it). It kept giving "fuel/water seprator full" codes despite me draining a full gallon of water/diesel out of it. I had to pull the negative battery cable to get everything to reset and work properly. While 1,000 ft/lbs of torque was pretty awesome, I'll take a "hard pass" on a modern diesel. Give me a simple gas V8 or a hybrid instead over those headaches.

Now, a pre-2007.5 PowerStroke, Cummins, or even a Duramax - definite "yes". Simple and reliable engines.

I have heard that Diesels, modern ones, are very troublesome basically because of emissions bull****.

That's a shame because they are insanely capable, the diesel HD work trucks.

That said, I find it hilarious that the car mags are pushing the GM Diesel on their Yukon, etc. I'm so glad it gets good MPG for the tree gods but I didn't pay $84,000 for a truck that goes 0-60 in 8.9 seconds. Dead Car and Driver, MT editors would be spinning.

I think I'll stick to the (slightly tinkered with) Corvette V8 option. ;)

Why are emissions standards the enemy and not the problems created by emissions that the new standards are working to address? Sure, I’ll grant you that it’s an inconvenience in some ways and an expense in other ways, but there’s a greater cost in the long game to perpetually driving around in these beautiful and capable pigs with no regard for their impact, the limited nature of their fuel, and the geopolitical price of reliance on OPEC. We can’t have our cake and eat it too. That’s why these new hybrid engines are promising, they offer a middle ground in the transitional time. If they work well enough, it’s a more than adequate substitute for our pigs.
I think your last sentence summarized it pretty well. 👍🏾👌🏾

I found this car parked next to my old V8 pig... I couldn't stop dreaming that it could / should / would be my LC250 parked there , waiting for me. I know the 4 banger ain't gonna be perfect, ain't gonna be a NA V8, ain't gonna be a tank sensation aka LC200, but it will save me from commiting a cardinal sin and buy "that" kind of pig, or even worse than that, a Bronco. 😂

PXL_20230905_191440961~2.jpg

I used to own a diesel truck too, (pre DEF) and it was great. Bulletproof engine, efficient and low fuel and maintenance costs.

Modern diesels pickups are not that.

I manage a small fleet at work. We have several RAMs of various ages. Our single Diesel (RAM 2500) is by far the most expensive thing we own to maintain. Oil and filter changes cost 4 times as much. Any and every repair part costs at least twice as much. It's like owning a German vehicle without any of the benefits.

Diesel costs more now too.

Any savings that diesels used to bring to the table with fuel savings is now lost in greater costs of maintenance. We will never buy a diesel pickup again.

I'm not sure why diesels never took here but they didn't. Now they have a stigma.

I have a similar diesel RAM that requires DEF and am blown away at how reasonably priced parts are and generally how easy it is to work on.

Aside from a bad caliper and water sensor in fuel system its been flawless for more than a decade

Pro tip. Never ever honestly look at the impact from battery production, from mining to manufacturing.

Diesels engines are what they are today because car companies had no choice but to try to meet these mandated feel good standards, not because they made the engines better.

But don't worry, on paper they are actually better and there are tons of influencers dumping out videos spewing the company line. And there will always be those who fall for the scam hook line and sinker.

The demographics of those who want more than just adequate is also shrinking.

History may not repeat itself but it sure does rhyme.
I have looked, extensively, and even today’s primitive batteries are not as damaging as fossil fuel use once they hit ~20,000 miles of use. The tech will only improve and grow cleaner. Of course as humans we’ll dirty something up, we aren’t perfect, but I do expect a net positive gain for carbon emissions and untangling the free world from as much business as we have with despots. I wholly expect Toyota to be a central player in this. The prototype batteries and hydrogen combustion engines they are working on presently show loads of promise. Buying a hybrid LC or GX from them is funding future development and improvement.

I have looked, extensively, and even today’s primitive batteries are not as damaging as fossil fuel use once they hit ~20,000 miles of use. The tech will only improve and grow cleaner. Of course as humans we’ll dirty something up, we aren’t perfect, but I do expect a net positive gain for carbon emissions and untangling the free world from as much business as we have with despots. I wholly expect Toyota to be a central player in this. The prototype batteries and hydrogen combustion engines they are working on presently show loads of promise. Buying a hybrid LC or GX from them is funding future development and improvement.

Another Pro Tip. Never argue religion with the faithful.

A 4 cylinder hybrid LC, pathetic.
Really?

That’s ignorance.

This vehicle/ engine hasn’t even been driven.

No real world Insight has been provided.

It’s numbers so far indicate it has more than sufficient power in Horsepower and Ft/lbs.

It’s size is similar to a 200 series and it tows close to what the 100 series did.

Fuel efficiency I’m sure is dramatically better than previous Land Cruiser vehicles with gas engines.

Toyota… who makes some of the single best vehicles on earth designed and tested it.

Yet… it’s Pathetic?

I believe you need to check your cab for exhaust leaks.

I have heard that Diesels, modern ones, are very troublesome basically because of emissions bulls***.

That's a shame because they are insanely capable, the diesel HD work trucks.
Emissions are certainly a large part of it, but the high pressure diesel injection systems apparently can be problematic as well. I’ve read that Ford has issues with one of their high pressure fuel pumps but often blames it on bad fuel and refuses warranty coverage. The result is a multi-thousand dollar repair on a nearly new pickup.

I have a similar diesel RAM that requires DEF and am blown away at how reasonably priced parts are and generally how easy it is to work on.

Aside from a bad caliper and water sensor in fuel system its been flawless for more than a decade
Ours is the opposite. Also about a decade.

Turbo went bad, brakes go bad quick. EVERYTHING costs more than it should. Total money pit. If it wasn't so hard to find trucks RN for a resonable price we would have offladed it by now.

You must have got lucky.

It’s numbers so far indicate it has more than sufficient power in Horsepower and Ft/lbs.

Your ideal Land Cruiser really would come with a 4 cylinder engine? Really?
Really?

That’s ignorance.

This vehicle/ engine hasn’t even been driven.

No real world Insight has been provided.

It’s size is similar to a 200 series and it tows close to what the 100 series did.

Fuel efficiency I’m sure is dramatically better than previous Land Cruiser vehicles with gas engines.

Toyota… who makes some of the single best vehicles on earth designed and tested it.

Yet… it’s Pathetic?

I believe you need to check your cab for exhaust leaks.

No, it's an opinion. Have you ever heard a 4cylinder under load? The buzzy, coffee can roar of a 4 pot do it for ya? Because it doesn't for me. "Best" engine doesn't mean most desirable. The 2200 that went into the 90s Camry is one of the most bulletproof engines around but it wasn't exactly desirable.

No, it's an opinion. Have you ever heard a 4cylinder under load? The buzzy, coffee can roar of a 4 pot do it for ya? Because it doesn't for me. "Best" engine doesn't mean most desirable. The 2200 that went into the 90s Camry is one of the most bulletproof engines around but it wasn't exactly desirable.
I… Did not state my preference was a 4cyl.

You seem to know much about this particular Engine.

Did you get a special Test drive in Hawaii, No one else did?

Perhaps you towed a trailer from Hawaii to California?

How do you know what this new 4cyl turbo hybrid is like?

I’m just saying, with more hp/torque than a 100series…. You must have been At least slightly aware of the Trailer you towed.

Please elaborate on the trailer brakes , or other information on this vehicle No one else has driven.

Have you driven/owned a Toyota hybrid? Per my pervious posts they are every bit as exemplary and well-engineered as their SUVs. Buttery smooth, quiet, and perfect augmentation of the ICE with electric assist. An automotive work of art that - outside of any kind of green agenda/EPA mandate - I love because it saves money at the pump.

Again I love a V8s and love my Toyota V8 (particularly it's roar with headers, an intake, and exhaust), but their hybrid powertrains are objectively better for daily driving, low long-term maintenance, and reliability and have the potential to be a great SUV powertrain. Those of us on here who have owned/driven their hybrid powertrains are very excited for this new LC.

Have you driven/owned a Toyota hybrid? Per my pervious posts they are every bit as exemplary and well-engineered as their SUVs. Buttery smooth, quiet, and perfect augmentation of the ICE with electric assist. An automotive work of art that - outside of any kind of green agenda/EPA mandate - I love because it saves money at the pump.

Again I love a V8s and love my Toyota V8 (particularly it's roar with headers, an intake, and exhaust), but their hybrid powertrains are objectively better for daily driving, low long-term maintenance, and reliability and have the potential to be a great SUV powertrain. Those of us on here who have owned/driven their hybrid powertrains are very excited for this new LC.
It’s almost like you actually know… what your talking about.

As if you have some experience with the v8 toyota offers and…………. The Exceptional hybrid system Toyota makes.

It’s like an Educated hypothesis on what the new 4cyl hybrid Land Cruiser could be.

Glad you are Optimistic and open minded about the potential of a new development in Engine technology for a Suv

Pretty easy to dismiss the New engine, state it’s reason is only for this or that.

Nice to see someone with Experience discussing the Issue.

I also agree with you, and concur that the Hybrid systems Toyota offers are a sheer Work of advanced Technological achievements.

Miss my v8 100 series, don’t miss the Mpg’s.

Perhaps when…. This new 250 gets tested and driven a bit, I will agree with the naysayers…. In the meantime, I feel it’s a Option that we never had before and I like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom