3spd NV4500 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Swapping my old 69 3spd for a NV4500 from a '93 Chev 2500 4x4.Seller is also offering GM T-case.(NP208?) My FJ40 currently has Gen 1 SBC adapted to TLC 3 spd and T-case. I found a NV4500 for a song and I'm going to jump on it. I will be adapting the NV4500 to the TLC T-case via AA kit.
Questions:
1. How can I positively identify the NV4500? (The current owner is not very knowledgable)
2. Should I pull the bell housing with the NV4500 or does my current one work? (Probably some specific info required here, I'm not very knowledgable)
3. Any tips on removing the NV4500 from a '93 C/K 2500? (It's going to be freezing A cold! Faster is better)

Last edited:
IIR, GM used the nv4500 1st. The 1st 2 yrs(92 & 93) GM nv4500's had lower 1st gears than the following yrs. Then Dodge & GM used them, they had two different bolt patterns. At some point I think, the bolt patterns were changed so they were the same. I think they made a 2wd version & a 4wd. The conversion kit is probably specific to one or the other. I reseached this a long time ago, so hopefully someone else will chime in. There is good info on these if you do a google search. I'd grab the bellhousing too, just in case. GM I think, also offered a 5 speed that did not have a low 1st gear at around this same time. It was not a nv4500.

1. What is the code on the label on top of the transmission? It should be something like GBW or GZB or GAMN for GM or 8 digit numerical code for Dodge.

2. Get the bellhousing along with the NV4500, if Chevy. Your existing BH may work or it may not, but best to have the other one in hand in case you need it. Dodge NV4500 to Chevy engine I'm sure will definitely require AA BH.

3. The NV4500 is heavy. A tanny jack works pretty well and it beats dropping that heavy SOB on your chest or something else that you'd rather not damage.

I don't understand the sentence about "the t-case is going to be with the tranny".

Swapping my old 69 3spd for a NV4500. Rig currently has Gen 1 SBC adapted to TLC 3 spd and T-case. I found a NV4500 for a song and I'm going to jump on it. I will be adapting the NV4500 to the TLC T-case via AA kit. Although the T-case is going to be with the tranny.
Questions:
1. How can I positively identify the NV4500? (The current owner is not very knowledgable)
2. Should I pull the bell housing with the NV4500 or does my current one work? (Probably some specific info required here, I'm not very knowledgable)
3. Any tips on removing the NV4500 from a '93 C/K 2500? (It's going to be freezing A cold! Faster is better)

One thing to note is: NV4500's use a special gear lube, if you use anything other than that lube it will destroy the tranny in an instant.

1. What is the code on the label on top of the transmission? It should be something like GBW or GZB or GAMN for GM or 8 digit numerical code for Dodge.

2. Get the bellhousing along with the NV4500, if Chevy. Your existing BH may work or it may not, but best to have the other one in hand in case you need it. Dodge NV4500 to Chevy engine I'm sure will definitely require AA BH.

3. The NV4500 is heavy. A tanny jack works pretty well and it beats dropping that heavy SOB on your chest or something else that you'd rather not damage.

I don't understand the sentence about "the t-case is going to be with the tranny".

Sorry for the confusion. Essentially I'm looking to pull the bellhousing, trans and transfer case from a '93 2500 chevy 4x4 thats been totaled. I can't get the seller to get me a pic of the id tag for the transmission, but it sounds like there has not been work done on the transmission in the past. Sounds like the thing to do is just pull the whole unit (BH,Trans, T-case) after checking the GM make on the tag.
Thanks for your help.

If the truck was gas (vs diesel), the transmission will probably be a code GXC. The 4x4 model is what you want. The '93 will be the 6.34 low gear. It may need a rebuild unless it's very low mileage. A rebuild is not particularly difficult and not particularly expensive, unless you end up replacing gears and shafts. If you get it for under $1000, it's a good deal even if you spend $1000 to rebuild it. You may even be able to get a shop to rebuild it for around $1000. Do pay attention to the correct synthetic oil, as mentioned by pb4.

For all of them, you need the AA NV4500 to Toyota transfer adapter kit.

Sorry for the confusion. Essentially I'm looking to pull the bellhousing, trans and transfer case from a '93 2500 chevy 4x4 thats been totaled. I can't get the seller to get me a pic of the id tag for the transmission, but it sounds like there has not been work done on the transmission in the past. Sounds like the thing to do is just pull the whole unit (BH,Trans, T-case) after checking the GM make on the tag.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Too bad you weren't able to get that NV4500. That trans, adapted to the Toyota TC would have been good to have.

I have a 1994 Chev K2500 with the 6.5 diesel. There are two versions of the 3/4 ton pickup that GM made. A lighter duty with 6 lug wheels and semi-float rear axle(and other lighter parts), and a heavier duty version with 8 lug wheels and a full float rear axle, and if I remember right it is an 8200 lb capacity. I'm not sure what the differences are, if any, between the 6 lug and the 8 lug transmissions or transfer cases.

My pickup is the heavy duty version, with a 4L80E auto trans, so this info I'm about to give you is for the auto trans pickups. I'm not sure how much will cross over to the NV4500. Just this past summer/fall I pulled the trans/transfer case out of my pickup. With the motor still in place I found it easier to pull the TC from the trans before dropping the trans. My TC is the NP241C with manual shift. There is also an electric push button shift TC, which I think is found in the lighter duty pickups. The NP241C in my pickup is a drivers side front output, and a centered rear output.

With most any newer American made TC you will find the centered rear output, which will cause problems for you if you try to put one into your 40, which is a right side rear drop, not a centered rear drop. I think you will be better off adapting whatever NV4500 you find to the Toyota TC.

Don't know if any of this will be helpful in your search, but worth knowing.

Don

This project is back on! Found an NV4500 reportedly from a 1993 4x4 Chevy. The ID tag is waisted, maybe someone can point to an ID resource to confirm. Right now I'm hoping it mounts to the bellhousing used in my V8 conversion done nearly 20 yrs ago, the supplier only had passenger side clutch BH. I'll keep you posted, maybe start a "Vlog"?

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom