3rd Memeber flange + transfer output flange Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been working my way around the truck doing all the shackle/pin's they are pretty bad so it was overdue. One of the rear Pins was really not wanting to come out. So I removed the Rear Prop Shaft so I could get a better swing @ it with BFH. That did the job in a couple of nice solid taps :)

However, when I took the prop shaft off.... I just don't know how these flanges spec out? I should get an FSM for these trucks, I guess. Thinking I get new Nuts and torque to spec and slake? Or maybe this is how things get setup? or it's just worn out.
Thoughts? Questions? Scathing rebuttals?

Yup, that is not a huge deal. It has been years since I have done any seals or bearings, but you are on the right track. A little play is ok. I am not at my computer right now, so I cannot look up my FSM for torque specs (it's not much!), but I would start there... check the FSM, torque correctly and retest for play.

Also, when driveline stuff starts to go, you will know it. Noise, vibrations, etc will definitely give you ample warning when something is getting out of spec (unless of course you blow something up offroading)

Hope this helps!!

Looks like you need an new pinion seal. Torque and backlash are in the pics, assuming 9.5" rear. You can find the FSM here: FAQ - Online Repair Manual Sources - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/online-repair-manual-sources.185322/
Pinion Flange Nut.jpg
Diff Backlash 1.jpg
Diff Backlash 2.jpg

Yea that’s not good, whoever put those on last did it wrong. You see how much the torque spec is, no way the nuts should be loose. Hopefully it’s just the flange that’s loose not the pinion. Take off the flange and check the pinion, it should not be loose at all, if it is, the bearing are shot, get it rebuilt.

If the flange is that loose the pinion will be also. The spacer mentioned in the manual is a crush sleeve that sets the bearing preload when the pinion nut is tightened; if the preload is out of spec the sleeve has to be replaced.

If the flange is that loose the pinion will be also. The spacer mentioned in the manual is a crush sleeve that sets the bearing preload when the pinion nut is tightened; if the preload is out of spec the sleeve has to be replaced.

Yea I have rebuilt 8” 3rd’s for my T4R’s so that was my main concern. That lock nut and crush sleave determine the center of the pattern position on the ring. I’m kind of scared to pull the 3rd out because I’m expecting to find a very interesting pattern. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom