3rd members removing tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So how heavy are the 3rds? How hard is it to remove/replace them from underneath the truck without putting it on a lift. Does any one have a picture of the removal and replacement process? Where do you start removing the bolts, on the top or at the bottom or work your way in the middle? I am thinking if I put a jack stand under where the Drive Shaft connects to it then it should hold some weight so I could hold the 3rd member with one hand as I remove the last bolt from the housing. I am just trying to think it out loud. Any special tip or suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
You have to pull out the inner axles and driveshaft first. I asssume you know that! After that, pull all the bolts but the top one. Have your floor jack under the diff to support the weight. Remove the top bolt and you will likely find the 3rd member is stuck tight to the axle housing. Then use a floor jack to put a small amount of pressure under the nose of the diff. That should break the seal. Gently pull the diff out, and onto the platform of the floor jack. Roll it toward the center of the truck to clear the ring gear, and once clear, lower it to the ground. You can wrestle it directly out, but it's heavy and awkward. About 80 pounds for the rear and 75 for the front. Do not drop it on you, your friend, or any body part-it will hurt! Good luck.

Thanks for that tip. Yeah I know I have to remove all the shafts first. Breaking the seal sounds like going to be a fun task. What type of seal do you use when putting the diff back in there? Do you use any time of silicon in between the seal and the housing?

Thanks

Use a Toyota paper seal. I also use gray permatex, but this is not reccomended by Toyota. Black permatex should work as well. Torque the bolts carefully-the rears are about 54 foot/pounds, the front only 20 foot/pounds. Recheck the torque weekly for the first month. It tends to loosen, I'm not sure why.

If you are not weak(pretty strong), you can do it by yourself without much problem(no jack).

I have seen in other posts references to the third member but until now had not realised the term refered to the diff centre as we call it. Why is it called the third member???

The third member holds the differential in the axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom