3rd gen 4runner or Lexus LX470 (100 Series LC) PROS VS CONS (1 Viewer)

LX470 (100 series) or 3rd gen 4runner w elocker?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure this debate has come up a few times, but I wanted to ask advice on my specific situation.

Basically, I got into a high mileage 98 LX470 a couple weeks ago for a pretty good price but there's a guy offering to trade me his 1997 4runner limited with rear elocker. The LX is high mileage but had a new engine put in it recently and I also just finished baselining it (new fluids, power steering pump, alternator and battery. I love driving it and love how much space it has, but am having anxiety about changing that starter though if it ever needs it cuz I heard it's a big job on these due to it being located under the intake manifold.) I'm also having small anxiety hearing about how landcruisers are more expensive to own and maintain (more electronic parts, more frequent engine lights, etc) The 4runner hes offering looks like a pretty nice truck and already has a 3 inch lift on 33s so I wouldn't have to do much to build it other than maybe get some sliders. The LX470 is pretty much stock and I was looking into 2 inch lift options and tire options. Wheel options seem scarce, and the aftermarket in general seems not as big as the 4runner aftermarket.

Considering my current life situation though. I was recently laid off due to covid and have been on unemployment for a few months. Not much money to work with until I land a new job. I'm looking to have a truck that I can live in for a few months, while I get back on my feet and maybe do some occasional light offroading but nothing too technical that would potentially cause expensive repairs. I love outdoors and offroad so it's not an option for me to quit altogether..

Bottom line:

What's going to be a better truck for living in full time for a few months and not having to throw insane amounts of money into?

I know they are both Toyota and are both more reliable than most other vehicles out there, but what's the best for a guy on a budget who wants a reliable daily and occasional offroad truck?

I've made my own list of pros and cons I've learned from my own research, can anyone add to it?

LX470 / 100 series:
- bigger, more comfortable
- terrible gas mileage, and worse with 33-35 inch tires plus lift
- bulletproof V8
- no LBJ issue
- potentially harder to find parts for?
- potentially more expensive to fix?
- center diff lock only, rear would be aftermarket add on
- can only lift 2.5 inches, due to torsion bars

3rd gen 4runner:
- better gas mileage,
- has rear elocker
- more parts easily available, both OE and aftermarket
- classic LBJ issue, so always carry spare LBJ's?
- potentially cheaper to own, maintain, and repair, if needed?
- smaller so not as much room in back for living out of, but still pretty good?
- V6 engine is not "as" bulletproof as the V8, but still extremely reliable
- possible to lift 3 inches instead of 2, has regular spring suspension instead of torsion bars

What's best bet here? Anything else to consider?

Screenshot_20210315-170752_Facebook.jpg

20210305_085354.jpg

Last edited:
470 brother. V8. Land cruiser. Damn near bullet proof. That runner just looks like its had a pretty rough redneck lifestyle. With those tire I’d be really surprised if it gets better mileage than the 470. 3rd gens are awesome trucks. Have had ours for 18 years. No way in Haiti from what I can see here would I make that trade. Just say NO. No need whatsoever for 35s on the Cruiser. I’m sure he would trade you. Nope.nope.nope

I have an 05 LX and have had it for a few years now. Today I helped a buddy buy an 01 4runner Limited. It's a beauty, but damn it's tight in the cab, by comparison. The rear looks easier to convert to sleeping area than the LX because it flatter with the seats folded down. Rougher ride, much more truck like in the 4runner. Power seems fine in the 4runner from my short stint driving. But if I had to pick which one I would want to live in all the time, it'd be the LX.

Light off roading-I would keep the LX and not modify/lift it. You might want to get rid of the running boards and put stock wheels back on it though. Starter? Well, no law against hiring someone to do it. Just think about all the money you'll have from not buying a lift. :grinpimp:
I owned 3rd generation 4Runner for about a year-they're OK. Have only test driven a co worker's 100 series but it's clearly a superior vehicle IMO.

Gas mileage between the two is probably not that different, maybe even better in the 470 in its current configuration. I've owned two 3rd gen 4Runners, and currently have a 4th gen and a GX470. The 2UZ is so much more pleasant to drive any sort of distance or up any incline in my opinion. Never driven a 100 series but I would go for the extra space if I was considering living out of it for a time. Try and find some stock 2nd gen tundra or sequoia wheels maybe (I think those fit yeah?) Should open up a lot more choices for tires if you get back to a 17" or 18" wheel.

4Runner probably still a bit better gas mileage but not by much due to lift/tires. It's more likely to break down/have costly repairs because of the observable modifications that put more stress on brake, steering and drivetrain components. LX has limited slip rear end, I believe.

I have a 3rd gen for a DD, I love it, but i'd keep the 100

I went back and forth between the two before settling on the 4runner. And now every time I pass a 470 on the road, I think "that's my next car." You've got the pros and cons all laid out. That being said, you might go for a stock 4runner if you're looking to save money. The lifted ones are more likely to have LBJ problems, and whoever modded it got something wrong, guaranteed.

...The lifted ones are more likely to have LBJ problems, and whoever modded it got something wrong, guaranteed.
LOL. No doubt. The only plus I see in the comparison for the Runner is size. Well, that and MPG provided it isn't sporting enormous lift and tires. 100 series is so big!

I have a 2003 LX and my son has a 3rd gen 4Runner (98). If i was thinking about trying to live out of one or the other it would be no question. LX all the way. 4runner is the better wheeler (form factor) but you're talking about living in your vehicle first, wheeling second.

The 100 definitely is more comfortable and spacious if you plan to be living out of it, but for my purposes and the very narrow trails in Jamaica, a 4runner just fits the space better and is much easier to turn around in tight spaces (which happens way too often in my adventures)

I would love to get a 100 one day, but i suspect it'll get scraped up very badly very quickly here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom