3FE oil pan gasket install tricks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just adding my tid bits.

Getting the semi circles of the gasket to seat flush was a bit challenging. They don't exactly match unless you put some pressure on them. I ended up using some clamps to hold the corners down while the FIPG set.

If you have stock height (or saggy old suspension like me), you can get more room for removing/installing the pan by jacking up the frame as high as you can go to let the suspension droop (wheels don't need to leave the ground). This increases the distance you have between the engine and the axle housing.

When installing, the bolts are frustratingly short. I tied the pan to the block with zip ties at first so I could maneuver the pan without holding all the weight of it. It doesn't feel very light after the first few minutes of holding it over your head cursing the pan-gasket-block bolt alignment.

Fel-Pro Snap Ups work amazingly well and I'll never do another oil pan gasket without them.

Replaced my oil pan using all yalls great advice. Thanks for all the tips! Also replaced the little gaskets between the oil outlet pipe and oil pump strainer (which i heard go bad so good to do while you have the pan off).

Filled it back up with 8.5qt of oil which is what the FSM recommends when filling from dry. But now noticing a rough idle that was not there before. Any ideas of something i could have done to cause this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom