3FE engine "wobbling" or "pulsating" - Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(Posted this in 80-Series Tech, but got no love... Figured maybe a FJ62 owner could give me a clue.)

92 FJ80 with 3FE engine... Seems like it runs fine when it's cool weather (40-50degF), even after the temp gauge comes up to normal. But the last few days, after the weather warms up to 60-70+, it feels like the engine is wobbling or pulsating... To try to clarify the "wobbling/pulsating" - it almost feels like the engine is out of balance or something... like you can feel the engine turning, NOT like the accelerator is being rapidly pumped.

At idle, it's noticeable, but not horrible. Shift into gear and it becomes a lot more noticeable, as RPMs drop a little.... Then as you accelerate and engine RPMs speed up, becomes less noticeable - like the engine turning faster sort of levels things out.

I don't think it's a vacuum leak, since I replaced ALL the vacuum hoses, air intake "hoses", valve cover gasket, etc just a couple of years ago when I was having a problem with the engine dying when trying to idle.

Could it be the intake air flow meter?

If so, any suggestions about where to get one? Part No. 2250-61010 has been discontinued.

If it’s actually moving - maybe the driver’s side rubber motor mount is torn. But pulsation wouldn’t be caused by that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom