3F engine cuts off while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. FJ73 with the 3F engine.

I'll be driving and without any great warning the engine will cut off. Sometimes if starts back up but once it needed an hour rest. Starter, lights etc still work, it just won't tick over.

It has a 6month old coil and electronic ignition.

I'm unsure if this is related or a different issue but the revs will also drop as if the engine isn't getting enough fuel... I've read the fuel solenoid can cause trouble?

In a few days in meant to take off for a week so hopefully there is a simple fix out there!

G'Day Fella's,

Rook, I don't pretend to be an expert but my first thought was, it's the Fuel Filter.
So many of these issues, are just simple things, so fingers crossed, that is all this is.

Please keep us posted on the cause and outcome.

Regards
Homer

These ones can be tricky to diagnose. Could be a loose wire somewhere. Fusible link dodgy. I had a cheap ebay electronic ignition dizzy on my fj73 3f and it used to cut out and and behave like it wasn't getting enough fuel like yours, especially when the engine was hot. and then it died completely. It lasted about 6 months from new. [it had a funny little coil without ballast resistor that came with the dizzy].
One thing you can check next time it cuts out is the fuel level in the sight glass on the carby. Should be around the middle. If the fuel level is ok and the idle solenoid is ok,[clicking when powered] but still won't start, you can check for spark next. Intermittent spark problems can be PITA to fix.

Also does the coil have a ballast resistor? The module in the dizzy needs full 12v and it's very easy to run the wire from the lower volt side of the ballast to the module by mistake . That makes the ignition play up like yours. especially the "revs will also drop as if the engine isn't getting enough fuel". symptoms I know, I've done it DOH. Edit check this first coz it's a common mistake . Even if fitted by an autoelec.
good luck.

Last edited:
Cheers for your information @pithicus ! The electronic ignition was installed by the previous owner (I've only had the car 3/4 months). It's the MSD blaster 2 from what I can see and its only cut out twice in this time. I'll have to take the air box out tomorrow to investigate the resistor.

It's most definitely a pain! Nothing seems to be jumping out at me but should be ok on my trip *fingers crossed*

You have to isolate the problem between fuel and electrical. I have newish 3F fuel pump for sale if you need one.
Next time it stops, check the fuel level in the carb and if there is someone to help you, I would check the spark at the spark plug

Hi all,
  1. Drained and cleaned out the fuel tank
  2. Changed the fuel filters
  3. Spark plugs
  4. Checked over the distributor (turned out to be little loose)
  5. Fixed a vac leak off the carby
  6. Gave the carby a clean
  7. Oil change/filter
400kms in and it's been running beautifully, turn the key and the occasional single pump of the accelerator and she's off.

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for the follow up reply, and good to hear Rook, I hope this continues.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom