3d model of drink /cup holder divider (for printing) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am working on a 3d model of the drink divider. The Toyota version is fragile and after spending 45$ to get a replacement, only to see it break within 2 months, I decided to make my own.

Below is a photo of the model:
Screenshot (7).png

I decided to add some coin slots because that's personally useful to me. But I'm curious about your thoughts and suggestions so I can incorporate them in the model. I've given myself 2 more weeks to improve this version before releasing it for free (this thread and on thingyverse)

Question: the original divider has little arms you can use to stabilize drinks. I'm not sure I can make that but if you think this is critical then I'll give it a shot (more like 25 shots) to see if I can make a version that has it.

All feedback welcome but please note that I'm not a 3d modeling expert so there is a chance this is the best I can do. I'll share a picture of a printed version installed later today or tomorrow. It fits perfectly, tight but still removable.

Cool project and nice of you to share the output with the community. One thing, and you probably already know this, but make sure you use a heat stable plastic. My son 3D printed me a great adapter to hold a coffee mug out of PLA (?) and in the summer heat it shrunk down so my mug didn’t fit anymore.

Cool project and nice of you to share the output with the community. One thing, and you probably already know this, but make sure you use a heat stable plastic. My son 3D printed me a great adapter to hold a coffee mug out of PLA (?) and in the summer heat it shrunk down so my mug didn’t fit anymore.
Whoa that is really good feedback. I only got a 3d printer 3 weeks ago and still need to learn about all the different materials. Currently I print everything with PLA which I now know is a problem. I'll look into the materials and hope the print tolerances stay the same (because right now it fits perfectly).

Btw here is a photo using light blue filament.
PXL_20210518_135329747.jpg

Anyway thanks for the good feedback!

Ps. My cup holder fit like a glove until a hot sunny day, and then it shrank. At first I thought my son was pullling a prank by putting a smaller part in the console, but he didn’t. I think he said ABS is better in heat, but don’t quote me on that, I may have it wrong.

Great job on the prototype!

That's good and all, but there's a guy on here 3D printing a replacement for the whole cup holder assembly.

cupholders

That's good and all, but there's a guy on here 3D printing a replacement for the whole cup holder assembly.

cupholders
The problem I’ve had with current offerings, is that they’re pretty much a one size fits all solution (or in the case of those linked above, two sizes).

Something like Swiss200’s idea, with fewer/no moving or removable parts seems like a great idea. I just need to find something that is tapered to fit my cup of choice, a Yeti 20oz Rambler (Which I believe is a fairly common shape and size)

Rambler_20oz_FRONT.png

The factory divider is the best fit I’ve found, though it’s pretty loose all around. The BH3D options are a good fit for the bottom of the cup, but overall width doesn’t accommodate the middle sections and the cup won’t fully seat. I’d love to see a 3D printed option like Swiss200’s with custom options to allow for common sizes.

I published the STL for the current version here:

I will think about adding drink support and I will take into account the suggestion from @PabloTX to offer different models for different drink sizes (thanks for posting the size of your cup)

The problem I’ve had with current offerings, is that they’re pretty much a one size fits all solution (or in the case of those linked above, two sizes).

Something like Swiss200’s idea, with fewer/no moving or removable parts seems like a great idea. I just need to find something that is tapered to fit my cup of choice, a Yeti 20oz Rambler (Which I believe is a fairly common shape and size)

Rambler_20oz_FRONT.png

The factory divider is the best fit I’ve found, though it’s pretty loose all around. The BH3D options are a good fit for the bottom of the cup, but overall width doesn’t accommodate the middle sections and the cup won’t fully seat. I’d love to see a 3D printed option like Swiss200’s with custom options to allow for common sizes.
Do you have the inserts or the fully replaceable drop in holders? I use my yetis with the drop in and all the time. No problems.

Do you have the inserts or the fully replaceable drop in holders? I use my yetis with the drop in and all the time. No problems.
Inserts.

I have since considered the full replacement, but my assumption is that without the inserts, the fit would be loose and no appreciable gain over the factory cupholders. With the inserts, the cup would not fully seat. Basically, it needs to be tapered. 3” at the bottom, moving to 3.5” (perhaps a bit narrower) at the lip.

How’s the fit with the replacement vs. factory?

Inserts.

I have since considered the full replacement, but my assumption is that without the inserts, the fit would be loose and no appreciable gain over the factory cupholders. With the inserts, the cup would not fully seat. Basically, it needs to be tapered. 3” at the bottom, moving to 3.5” (perhaps a bit narrower) at the lip.

I installed the replacement and works great with my Yeti’s, nalgene, Zojirushi, Tervis, etc. great gear so far. Works with everything that I have put in it. Big improvement over factory and looks good, too.

I installed the replacement and works great with my Yeti’s, nalgene, Zojirushi, Tervis, etc. great gear so far. Works with everything that I have put in it. Big improvement over factory and looks good, too.
Thank you. Which version of the replacement did you go with? Two large holes with a set of inserts?

Thank you. Which version of the replacement did you go with? Two large holes with a set of inserts?
The one with two identical cup holes. It has 2 pen holes and NO slot for a phone.

Inserts.

Great fit. No complaints. And easily reversible if you want to go back to the OEM.

I published the STL for the current version here:

I will think about adding drink support and I will take into account the suggestion from @PabloTX to offer different models for different drink sizes (thanks for posting the size of your cup)
That would be great. I also use a 20oz Yetti rambler and would like an insert to hold it in place without wobbling and landing on the passenger floor when I go around a fast corner 🤷🏻

Rambler_20oz_FRONT.png

I've got one similar to these 200 Series Double Cup Holder – BH3D Printing - http://www.bh3dprinting.com/product/200-series-double-cup-holder/ note thinserts you can yank out to fit upto full size hydro flask. A few different variants, but very happy with the replacement and customer service for some additional tweaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom