3B temperature gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently did a trip to a hilly area with my 1985 BJ73 3B. We know, the 3B is not good at inclines.
On the highway I had to shift down to 3rd and pull into the emergency line to allow faster traffic to pass. At full throttle I was doing like 60km/h only.
The engine was working hard. At some point you cold like smell it and I stopped and had it ideling to cool down.

My factory temperature gauge however did not show any change of engine temperature at all.
It comes up to halfway when the engine warms up, and that's where it sits. Allways... Never ever came any higher, not even in this extreme situation. That can't be right...
That gauge obviously doesn't warn when the engine starts overheating. I need to fix this. But how?

- I will replace the temp sender unit. See below question on what sender to use.

- I tried to check the gauge as instructed by the manual: When connecting that single contact from the temp sender with a Voltmeter, it should 'swing around 3.5V'.
Apparently that thing is pulsed somewhat. When I did as indicated, my digital Voltmeter gave random readings between 0.8V and 8V.
Obviously that test method was designed for old fashioned inductor Voltmeter, with a reasonable delay in pointer reaction.
And what would it help? A new gauge is not available anyway.

So, I tend to go for a modern aftermarket gauge setup.
I can't find any with a M16 thread on the sender that would fit the original mounting, though...

Questions
Can I plug a modern gauge to the original sender, or have sender and gauge to be a consistent pair?
(I saw many different sizes in senders being generally available, but never any specific information concerning the measurement characteristics, like e.g. resistance.
Are those standardized?)

Where / how did you guys mount an aftermarket temp gauge & temp sensor?
Would be great if I could have the factory gauge in parallel.

There is another temp sensor referred to as 'oil temperature' (2 pins, 89422-30020 / 89422-12010) , although it also sits in the coolant circle right next to the water temp sensor . What does that do in a 3B, as I haven't an oil temperature gauge?
Would that be any help in detecting engine overheating?

Thanks for advice
Cheers
Ralf

I think the sender and the gauge should be a matched set. My EGT gauge is not matched to my EGT sensor. It is off by about 50 C when compared to the correct digital gauge.

The "Oil Temperature sender" is another water temp sensor. This is connected to the glow plug or pre-heater system. It was used to measure oil temp on other Toyota vehicles.

When I added a mechanical oil pressure gauge, I bought "T" pipe fitting so the old electric sender is still there. The pipe threads in the engine were BSPT not american NPT.

I think the sender and the gauge should be a matched set. My EGT gauge is not matched to my EGT sensor. It is off by about 50 C when compared to the correct digital gauge.

The "Oil Temperature sender" is another water temp sensor. This is connected to the glow plug or pre-heater system. It was used to measure oil temp on other Toyota vehicles.

When I added a mechanical oil pressure gauge, I bought "T" pipe fitting so the old electric sender is still there. The pipe threads in the engine were BSPT not american NPT.
Thanks. I now understand what that 2nd sensor is for.

Concerning the threads on the water temp sensor, that's why I'd like to keep the original sensor. My supplier euro4x4 identifies it as metric M16, based on my vehicle identified by VIN. That would be a straight thread, which kind of makes sense with the O-ring used. Also makes sense in an EU-spec vehicle, like mine.
BSPT and NPT are both different imperial taperet (!) threaths. What I actually have I could only tell if I undo it.
Finding something that fits in that place is anyway difficult, so I'll stay OEM in that spot.
I probably go for a sender somwhere in the hoses, with a gauge that can be calibrated..
Let's look for a nice place...

Thanks Ralf

I have VDO Cockpit International gauges because they remind me of the Toyota gauges.
I don't know if they make a water temp gauge with Centigrade only.
VDO

I have VDO Cockpit International gauges because they remind me of the Toyota gauges.
I don't know if they make a water temp gauge with Centigrade only.
VDO
They do. VDO is originally a German company. Well reputated here in Europe.
I'm just looking at the same. And they do have the correct sensor to fit my vehicle in M16x1.5, too.
Just a bit pricey: About 80€

If I only could figure out what is faulty: Sensor or gauge...
I may find an old style inductor Voltmeter at my dad's shop to test the cluster gauge. There is also another test method described in the manual to test the gauge's resistance. But that requires getting behind the cluster.

I'll get a new OEM sensor first. I can wire it up to the cluster gauge and test that off the engine with a pot of cooking water.
Assuming that 'red' on the gauge is app 110-120C, cooking water at 100C should drive the gauge at least well over half way, if it works correctly.

I got a brandnew temperature sensor (they are quite cheap) and did a test:
Boiling hot water from the tea ketle close to 100°C should bring the gauge well over the half way, shouldn't it?
Seriously, what temperature does the beginning of the 'red zone' on the gauge actually indicate? There is no scale.
As the thermostat opens at 85°C, 100°C should rather be the end of the comfort zone?
20220515_110132.jpg

OK, it didn't. The gauge just went up to the same position slightly under half way, as it always does.
Guess, my gauge is half way shot or stuck... Maybe I'll dig into it once I have a really good reason to take the cluster out of the dash.

As the factory gauge is not known to be pretty accurate anyway, I'm going to source an aftermarket additional gauge...
TBC
Cheers Ralf

Your gauge is probably indicating correctly for a factory Toyota gauge. I have a separate water gauge and my aux gauge shows normal temps at around 187F, the factory gauge is sitting at half or slightly lower. When I first got my ute and was trying to get the water temps under control I was seeing around 220F and the factory gauge was just slightly above middle. I can’t imagine how hot it would be if the factory gauge was anywhere near the red line.

I did a trip to the Westerwald hills this weekend.
Before heading off, I installed a separate temperature gauge from motometer (a brand of VDO).
I run it with the factory Toyota sensor, So my factory gauge in the dash cluster got disconnected.
It sits at 80°C (176°F) in normal operation. The Toyota sensor might not have the correct characteristic line for the motometer gauge, so the actual reading may be incorrect, though.
But the new gauge is much more responsive: During the trip, on extended inclines, I could note the temperature climbing like 5°, and coming down again. (I didn't push it that hard like last time, though)
That's what I wanted: A warning on unusual overheating.

I mounted the gauge temporarily between the dash cluster and the auxiliary cluster (altimeter and clinometers; what's that one called 🤔), using a bracket fixed by the bolts of the aux cluster. Temporary by now, as I need to find a decent housing, still.

Question: Where in the dash could I best grab some power for the gauge lighting?
Should come on with the dash lights / head lights.

But I don't want to mess with the original harness and have no fun to take the entire dash and fusebix apart for it.

Any suggestions?
Best regards Ralf

I think I got dash light power from the cig lighter’s lamp.
Only have to take some of the dash apart.

If LHD there should be a ignition powered plug under the dash above your left knee.
Wish I had taken a picture when my BJ70 got a water temp gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom