3B starter problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing a 3B with 5 speed from 1986 FJ 70 into my 1974 FJ40. Starter hit the steering gear. I know I can modify the steering to work. Is there a Starter for the 40s that will work? I see a lot of post with starters being very different between years and models.

I'm assuming that, for whatever reason (maybe there is more room in the 70 series between the bellhousing and the steering gear) the 70-series starter is longer than what would be in a 40 series. You need a starter that will spin the 3B, but also be compact enough to fit the engine compartment of the -40.

At TOYODIY.com there are four starters listed for the B/3B series motors just for my 03/81 BJ40 (let's assume that the 1986 3B is generally the same as the 81 B for purposes of the starter.
28100-56080 (12V with EDIC),
---56090 (12V w/out EDIC)
---56070 (24V with EDIC)
---56100 (14V w/out EDIC).

You can always search for a later BJ40 if you're concerned about the year difference, but I wouldn't sweat a few years; if it's a B/3B series engine, going in a 40-series chassis, you should be OK with the above. Once you have the right part number for your 12/24V, with or without EDIC engine, you can just google it (followed by the word "toyota" so that google doesn't treat it as a subtraction problem!) and you'll find vendors for a starter that will fit.

HTH,
Travis.-

Alternately (after looking at your WDYDTYDT posting), shift the entire drivetrain further back. I will note that my b/H55 shifter is against the driver's seat when in second gear. That's a price we pay for a 60/70 series H55F top plate in a 40-series chassis.

I'm assuming that, for whatever reason (maybe there is more room in the 70 series between the bellhousing and the steering gear) the 70-series starter is longer than what would be in a 40 series. You need a starter that will spin the 3B, but also be compact enough to fit the engine compartment of the -40.

At TOYODIY.com there are four starters listed for the B/3B series motors just for my 03/81 BJ40 (let's assume that the 1986 3B is generally the same as the 81 B for purposes of the starter.
28100-56080 (12V with EDIC),
---56090 (12V w/out EDIC)
---56070 (24V with EDIC)
---56100 (14V w/out EDIC).

You can always search for a later BJ40 if you're concerned about the year difference, but I wouldn't sweat a few years; if it's a B/3B series engine, going in a 40-series chassis, you should be OK with the above. Once you have the right part number for your 12/24V, with or without EDIC engine, you can just google it (followed by the word "toyota" so that google doesn't treat it as a subtraction problem!) and you'll find vendors for a starter that will fit.

HTH,
Travis.-

Alternately (after looking at your WDYDTYDT posting), shift the entire drivetrain further back. I will note that my b/H55 shifter is against the driver's seat when in second gear. That's a price we pay for a 60/70 series H55F top plate in a 40-series chassis.
You would shift it forward not back. No room to shift it back and plenty to go forward, that however doesn't alleviate the starter issue. Also while your info would generally apply in most scenarios, it doesn't here for reasons below.

I started to respond to this thread the day it was listed but figured I'd open a can of worms on opinions...but I'll give it my .2

Your drivetrain has a post Oct 84 aluminum bell housing. Those were never fitted to a 40 series. The earlier cast iron bell housing starters fit with some minor modifications but still don't clear the steering. The starters are clocked differently. You could source an early bell housing and starter. Pertinent info would be which crossmember you are using as those were different as well and your installing one or the other. I'll refer to them as early or late or 3 piece vs 1 piece. They also clock the bellhousing and trans differently.

IMO the path of least resistance is use the bell and crossmember from the 70 series (assuming you have them) and use the opportunity to convert to 60 or 70 series power steering.

First page of my 78 build thread in my sig has a link to my trials and tribulations down this same path many years ago.

tthanks, for, lot of good info.. I am in Montana working and need to think about this all.. when I get a minute I will respond more. Love my landcruisers and any projects on them.

Good points @roma042987. I certainly appreciate your builds and the experience you have with diesel engines and engine swaps. Mine is somewhat limited, but thought I could help point OP in the right direction to sourcing a starter to match the 3B and the 40-series chassis as that is what I'm running. Didn't take into account that Toyota would clock the starter differently on different models of the 3B, but you're absolutely correct that the bellhousings changed and that's a key consideration of mounting a starter.

Sorry if I've muddied the waters; a hazard of the boards and amateurs like me trying to help.

Good points @roma042987. I certainly appreciate your builds and the experience you have with diesel engines and engine swaps. Mine is somewhat limited, but thought I could help point OP in the right direction to sourcing a starter to match the 3B and the 40-series chassis as that is what I'm running. Didn't take into account that Toyota would clock the starter differently on different models of the 3B, but you're absolutely correct that the bellhousings changed and that's a key consideration of mounting a starter.

Sorry if I've muddied the waters; a hazard of the boards and amateurs like me trying to help.

No dude not at all. All your info is good.

You would shift it forward not back. No room to shift it back and plenty to go forward, that however doesn't alleviate the starter issue. Also while your info would generally apply in most scenarios, it doesn't here for reasons below.

I started to respond to this thread the day it was listed but figured I'd open a can of worms on opinions...but I'll give it my .2

Your drivetrain has a post Oct 84 aluminum bell housing. Those were never fitted to a 40 series. The earlier cast iron bell housing starters fit with some minor modifications but still don't clear the steering. The starters are clocked differently. You could source an early bell housing and starter. Pertinent info would be which crossmember you are using as those were different as well and your installing one or the other. I'll refer to them as early or late or 3 piece vs 1 piece. They also clock the bellhousing and trans differently.

IMO the path of least resistance is use the bell and crossmember from the 70 series (assuming you have them) and use the opportunity to convert to 60 or 70 series power steering.

First page of my 78 build thread in my sig has a link to my trials and tribulations down this same path many years ago.
What I know at this time. I built my own mounts and crossmember. The engine and transfer case fit great. Driveline are in clearance and angles are good. Shift sticks good. Starts and runs fine. It has 1986 aluminum housing from the 70. Starter 28100-56080 looks like it would work. I am in Montana now and the 40 is in Illinois. I will check it better when I can see my starter. What do you think about it fitting?

What I know at this time. I built my own mounts and crossmember. The engine and transfer case fit great. Driveline are in clearance and angles are good. Shift sticks good. Starts and runs fine. It has 1986 aluminum housing from the 70. Starter 28100-56080 looks like it would work. I am in Montana now and the 40 is in Illinois. I will check it better when I can see my starter. What do you think about it fitting?
see above

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom