3B Power Steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
I have a '91 FJ80 that's got a transplanted 3B diesel from an '82 BJ60.

One item it's really missing is Power Steering. I read somewhere that Toyota van's have a power steering pump that can bolt right up to the 3B where the A/C would be located. Is this true, and if so, what van model?

I don't have any intention of getting A/C anywhere in the near future, but appreciate it if anyone has other suggestions or systems for sale.

Thanks.

I do believe they stopped using the manual steering box (on BJ60's at least)in 1982 so any 3B after this should have the parts. You might call EBI, Raddcruisers, G and S cruiserparts, all just north of us.

But I like my manual steering....

Tony

My first step would be locating a 3B PS pump .. that if you don't wanna upgrade your PS system ( which it's not bad idea at all ) while doing some minimun fab to use a PSC PS pump .. T type ..

Bit hijack .. 3B NA in a 80 .. how it move . ?

Kynot, Thanks for the good feedback. I'll check out Raddcruisers, EBI, G&S. Unfortunately, I read somewhere that the stock PS on the BJ60 requires a change of alternator as well.

I'd still like to get something that pretty much bolts right up, but custom brackets are not that big a deal I guess.

Tapage, Gracias por el aviso amigo; no conozco PSC, pero lo investigaré.
The FJ80 w/3B is a bit slow for sure, but that doesn't bother me too much. I have more complaints about the 4 spd transmission I've got in it. I'm looking for 13bt exhaust manifold to mount a turbo to, hopefully will improve performance some.

I'll keep looking for parts.

Kynot, Thanks for the good feedback. I'll check out Raddcruisers, EBI, G&S. Unfortunately, I read somewhere that the stock PS on the BJ60 requires a change of alternator as well.

I'd still like to get something that pretty much bolts right up, but custom brackets are not that big a deal I guess.

Why would you need to change the alternator if you use all factroy parts, the factory alternator is about midway up the block above the AC compressor with the powersteering pump at the top.

Why would you need to change the alternator if you use all factroy parts, the factory alternator is about midway up the block above the AC compressor with the powersteering pump at the top.
Sorry for the delay, need to get on here more.

Stock PS on SOME BJ60's doesn't work, 'cuz the alternator can't be properly tensioned in 3B's without factory power steering. See here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/31085-3b-power-steering-pump-bracket.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/82025-3b-power-steering.html

If anyone's got a design for another bracket, or other ideas, I'll be going down that road here eventually. Thanks!

The mount for the alt changes, not the alternator.

I have one PS set up in stock, used, from a BJ74.

~John

The mount for the alt changes, not the alternator.

I have one PS set up in stock, used, from a BJ74.

~John
Hey John... send you a PM. I'm interested in that used PS system you've got then, if you could get me price info. Thanks!

I also have a extra spare power steering pump for sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom