3B into a FJ45 question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ran across a 83 bj60 that has serious body cancer and a great running 3B.

Will this bolt up to the 1978 trans that I have in my 63 SWB ?

Or should I consider going with the split case from the BJ60 and do the motor mounts on the 3B use the same frame mounts as the f series ? My one concern is chopping up the powercoated frame.

Thanks Myrle

Take the whole drivetrain of the truck with 3B. The input shaft is a bitch to swap out, I would not recommend it (or don't even know if you can find the right parts).

I agree. You should take the entire drivetrain. Does the BJ60 have the 4 or 5 speed? I am assuming it has the 4 speed since you are wondering if you can bolt the 3B to your existing 4 speed.
If it has the 4 speed, yes you will have to fabricate new motor mounts.
If it has the 5 speed, I have heard that it is possible to use the existing motor mounts. Not sure though, I have heard differing opinions on this.
Good luck, I am quite jealous. you are doing exactly what I want to do. I already have the rusted out BJ60, now I just need to find a non-running FJ45 pickup.

Get the whole truck, 83 came with H55.

New motor mounts, use the existing BJ60 cross memeber remount it to the 45 frame with some shortening and bracket fab.

If memory serves me I think we could not reuse the BJ60 motor mounts as they were not tall enough.

Shorten rear drive shaft, lengthen front which is kinda spendy since its metric tubing.

As with any motor install, I have learned to test fit the fan and shroude prior to welding in the mounts permanently, TACK WELD.........

Ya, found myself a real gem with top compression and oil pressure with H55 in a 84 BJ60, real inexpensive.

Debating the FJ45 or FJ55, going to be for my son, cause we all know speed kills and BJs without turbos under a big heavey truck do not go all that fast.

For all those out thier looking for a BJ60 with power train, there is one in the island buy sell for 2500.00 OBO, I think 1983 with rusted frame.

Good luck, I am quite jealous. you are doing exactly what I want to do. I already have the rusted out BJ60, now I just need to find a non-running FJ45 pickup.[/QUOTE]

The 3B will not bolt to the '78 tranny from an F or 2F but it can be made to do so by swapping the tranny input shafts and using the 3B bellhousing. I did this on the FJ55 in order to preserve the e-brake without going to the expensive SOR split case e-brake setup or a rear axle e-brake. You MUST use a form of mount under the tranny or at the end of the transfer case ala Advance Adaptors. The H42 and H55 both mount the SAME WAY. Personally I prefer the under the tranny mount as it seems more secure than the AA mount. You can cut down the BJ60 mount sufficiently to make it fit the narrower FJ55 frame and I assume the FJ45 frame as well.

Thanks for all the info on this, Sounds like going with the split case will work the best. It is a 83 so it should have the 5spd. I was so impressed with how it ran after hearing a couple of POS that I did not even check out the trans. I am sure that I could search this out but I am assuming that the 60s rear axel is the same width as the 45 and I could swap out the 78 rear axel I have under the truck , but then I would have to choose which of the two gearing I want assuming that the 60 has 3.73 gears. I am sure after hearing about using the 60s crossmembers that I will not have to chop up this powered coated frame much.

I am glad I put off the sheet metal work until the fall otherwise I would not be entertaining this thought. Putting this together on a rolling chassis should be fun and not to difficult.

63fj45 swb deisel or would that be a 63bj45 swb clone.

"I am sure that I could search this out but I am assuming that the 60s rear axel is the same width as the 45 and I could swap out the 78 rear axel I have under the truck , but then I would have to choose which of the two gearing I want assuming that the 60 has 3.73 gears. I am sure after hearing about using the 60s crossmembers that I will not have to chop up this powered coated frame much."

Wrong!
The 60's axle is 4" wider than your 45 rear axle. It might look kind of goofy unless you did the front as well. Not sure if you have front disc brakes or not but might be a good time to upgrade. If you do alreadyhave them, tear down the front 60 axle and get a few bucks back by selling the parts as a conversion kit.

Good Luck.

Surprised nobody answered your question about the axle, yours is a full floater and in no means do I think its better but it does have its advantages although as mention the 60 series gear is wider.

The engine tranny transfercase will make a fantastic addition too your rig, you are upgrading to IMO better gear.

Next issue is parking brake, do a search and you will find many a fix, I was told a late model cable from a 3 speed is longer and will work by Cruiser Brett?

Speedo cable will also need lengthening.

canadian bum said:
Is the diesel 24 volt?

Yes it is 24 vlt and if need I will split the electrical pulling 12 vlts were needed, I am thinking that engine \ soliniods and starter are only things needing 24 vlt so they could be isolated from the rest of the 45s electrical original partsl one or two soliniods would do this.

Are you sure it is 24 volt??? I thought the BJ-60's were 12 volt (until 85 or something like that) and the HJ-60's were 24 volt???

It will still have 2 batteries but they will be in parrallel not series ... so 12 volts. That is how my 84 BJ-60.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Todd

skinny said:
Are you sure it is 24 volt??? I thought the BJ-60's were 12 volt (until 85 or something like that) and the HJ-60's were 24 volt???

It will still have 2 batteries but they will be in parrallel not series ... so 12 volts. That is how my 84 BJ-60.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Todd
Both of my Canadian BJ60's were 12 volt. You are correct that it has 2 batteries and that they run in parallel not series. I have an 82 and had until a few days ago an 85. Both were 12 volt.

Grease Cruiser said:
Both of my Canadian BJ60's were 12 volt. You are correct that it has 2 batteries and that they run in parallel not series. I have an 82 and had until a few days ago an 85. Both were 12 volt.

I guess I was guessing, there was a 81 bj42 I looked at that was 24 vlt for sure and I was assuming the 60s were also. Either way I can make it work.

I stopped by today to check on my fuel cell I am having reconditioned and started wondering if the 3B has a return on it from the pump. the 63 tank for sure will not.

mallred said:
I guess I was guessing, there was a 81 bj42 I looked at that was 24 vlt for sure and I was assuming the 60s were also. Either way I can make it work.

I stopped by today to check on my fuel cell I am having reconditioned and started wondering if the 3B has a return on it from the pump. the 63 tank for sure will not.

BJ42's are 24v BJ60's are not. The 3B does NOT have a fuel return to the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom