3b glow plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting to get more than my usual amount of dirty looks from my neighbors when I start my BJ-60 on a morning. It misses on one cylinder and smokes like crazy for the first minute. I assume one of my glow plugs has gone south but don't know how to test which one. Should I replace all of them or just the bad one? :cheers:

Testing is easy. Remove the bar that connects all plugs and make sure that #4 is not grounded by the strap from the wiring harness. All plugs should show continuity between the top of the plug and the engine block. Open circuit means a dead plug. I carry a set of 4 plugs when I go out of town in the winter as the truck WILL NOT START if there are more than one or two dead plugs. You can replace just one or all 4. They are about $70 each from Toyota!!

Hell my BJ40 (B, not 3B) smokes like crazy for about 15 seconds on cool or cold mornings. I replaced the plugs and that just improved the time to catch ;) I live in downtown DC, its a wonder the fire department hasn't come yet.

If I start her in the winter, 40 degrees on down, I have to keep cranking for about 15 seconds before she'll fire up!

Thanks for the input. I'll check them when I get home. 15 secs of smoke I can live with. It's a diesel after all. The shaking from the cylinder missing bugs me though.
Found plugs for $30 Can. each at www.4wheelauto.com out of Vancouver so I'll probably replace all and keep a couple of the old ones for spares.

It may be time to consider getting your fuel injectors checked as well. I just had my injectors rebuilt and it seems to have solved similar problems with my 3B ... just a thought.

Hi Alan

I've been able to get Dennso plugs for about $30.00 per. Shoot me a note off list if you want, and I will make some calls and see what current pricing is.

gb

What I have been doing for several years with my '82 BJ60 is to wait until I hear the relay open before cranking the engine over. It gives a few more seconds of preheat and seems to make starting easier.

Hell my BJ40 (B, not 3B) smokes like crazy for about 15 seconds on cool or cold mornings. I replaced the plugs and that just improved the time to catch I live in downtown DC, its a wonder the fire department hasn't come yet.

If I start her in the winter, 40 degrees on down, I have to keep cranking for about 15 seconds before she'll fire up!
When you go to the parts store, There are two options for Glow Plugs, The only difference is the Voltage. B takes the higher Voltage and the 3B and 2H take the Glow Plugs with the lower Voltage. ;) :cheers: - Can't remember the actual Voltage. :doh:

You might consider a block or oilpan heater too - makes a big difference in the ease of cranking and gives your batteries some help.

Have fun - nothing is cooler than a Diesel 40.

a few guys down here have H engines in our 45's, and no matter what they seem to start on 5 out of 6 cyl every time.

odd mechanical stuff up, or intendeD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom