3b glow plug issues! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi i went to start my bj70 today and it would glow so to get it to work i used ether.
during my lunch break i turned on the switch as was looking around and saw the metal tab that goes to the long bar (has a nut on it to hold it) just where the nut is the tab is glowing red

so i quickly turned it off

i have checked the wiring and cant find anything shorting out and ground are good

any idea what it could be?

also not sure if its related but since i got the car the glow light on the dash turns of in like 3 seconds but the glow plugs keep heating for another 20 seconds then u hear a relay click and it fires right up

why does the light go off before the system finishes to glow?

Thanks!

I have the simple, earlier glow system (all manual) but I am assuming you have the "super glow" or a fixed delay system on that model; stuff which I am not too familiar with. But if I recall correctly, the timer controls both the indicator light and the relay, each fed by different wires coming out of the timer? The click you are hearing well after the light goes off I would guess to be the glow relay. So, if there is a difference in duration that each one is receiving power (and this is not supposed to be normal?), I would start by checking out the timer. the fsm likely has some test procedure(s) for that. The timer is tied into the charging system and a temp sensor, so perhaps some problem there as well, but once again this is a system I do not know much about.

By "metal tab going to long bar" are you referring to where the wire connects to the conductor bar that ties all the glow plugs together? If so, then there is not likely any short between the relay and that point if enough power is getting there to make it turn red. Maybe too much power and/or fed for too long. Isn't there a glow plug resistor in line between the relay and the plugs on a super glow system? Perhaps it is bad?

during my lunch break i turned on the switch as was looking around and saw the metal tab that goes to the long bar (has a nut on it to hold it) just where the nut is the tab is glowing red

Can you post a picture and point out WHAT was glowing red?

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom