3B engine rebuilder in Washington State? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody have any good mechanics they know specializing in toyota 3B motors up here in Washington? I just dont want my baby to go to even a reputable shop that has marginal experience in diesels. Also, who does anybody recommend for the rebuild kits? I know there is an australian seller on Ebay selling rebuild kits and such, but I dont know anybody who has used them: ROODOGS 4WD SPARES

Any advice?
Thanks
Jason

Anybody have any good mechanics they know specializing in toyota 3B motors up here in Washington? I just dont want my baby to go to even a reputable shop that has marginal experience in diesels. Also, who does anybody recommend for the rebuild kits? I know there is an australian seller on Ebay selling rebuild kits and such, but I dont know anybody who has used them: ROODOGS 4WD SPARES

Any advice?
Thanks
Jason

An expert in Washington for a motor that wasn't sold in the US? Should be hundreds of em! ;p

Any good diesel shop should be able to handle it. There isn't much exotic inside a 3B.

Diesel engine rebuilder......

True, but when I had my 1L rebuilt and was looking for a rebuilder, there were literally hundreds of guys who said they were diesel mechanics, but when you weed out the forklift mechanics and fly by night guys the list shrinks quite a bit. Was hoping to find somebody who specifically dealt with the smaller diesels (totoya, mitsubishi, etc...).
Thanks

You can also look at diesel mechanics that work mainly on semi's. There is a HINO mechanic down in Boise Idaho that will work on the B series engines. Or he did when I talked with him last. Like around 2003'ish.

But basically look for a HINO dealer or mechanic. And dont be afraid to ask around to different shops that deal with only one or two brands. For example... Volkswagen AG for their North American diesel rebuilds uses Cummins in Canada. Last place someone would look for a VW TDI.

Or you can order a complete rebuild kit from Australia and have the machine work done and rebuild at any diesel machine shop, or do it yourself after the machine work.

Last edited:
what is the full scope of machine work needed? R&R the liners, bore the new ones to size, maybe resurface/flatten the block, and....? do you need to realign the crank bearings or anything like that?

(Sorry for slight hijack)

there is an australian seller on Ebay selling rebuild kits and such, but I dont know anybody who has used them: ROODOGS 4WD SPARES

Any advice?
Thanks
Jason

Do a search on here for Roodogs. There's lots of recommendations for them. I've used them for many orders.

Found a diesel mechanic. . . .

Found a good diesel mechanic about 1/2 hour away from me and he comes highly recommended. So I will be rolling soon!

Keep me posted

I'm doing the 3b in my 82 bj 42 soon and would love to hear about ypur rebuild goes. Gonna get the rebuild kit and a head from roodogs, [ appx2k Australian money] pull the engine myself and have a local diesel mechanic put it together for me. I'm expecting the head to be cracked ,as they say most are . Let me know how you do with yours. Tim

Generally I do not encourage people to rebuild these engines when there are lots of examples around that are in good shape and can be purchased for much less than the cost to rebuild.

I have a couple of 3Bs here that have tested to be in good shape - in one case the odometer is at 4xx,xxx Kms and it's got 480 to 510 psi compression still. No blue smoke, runs like a champ and only needs a few gaskets.

I have another that one that's from a BJ70 that only has 237,000 kms... needs a few seals and gaskets, but runs very well.

So why spend as much as $1000 per cylinder rebuilding when you can get a good one for much less?

~John

I'm doing the 3b in my 82 bj 42 soon and would love to hear about ypur rebuild goes. Gonna get the rebuild kit and a head from roodogs,

How much was shipping for those items? Do you know if the head they are selling is a genuine Toyota head or one of the Chinese copies? I've read that there's a Chinese company selling heads for the 3B.

How much was shipping for those items? Do you know if the head they are selling is a genuine Toyota head or one of the Chinese copies? I've read that there's a Chinese company selling heads for the 3B.

I talked to roodogs a week or two ago, the price was about $850 US for the head, including shipping. That HAS to be aftermarket.

shipping included

Yes my quote from roodogs included shipping, 5-7 days to New York. I am pretty sure its an aftermarket head. I thought toyota heads were no longer available. As to a used engine, What price including shipping to New York? And I assume customs would be involved too? Tim

Found a good diesel mechanic about 1/2 hour away from me and he comes highly recommended. So I will be rolling soon!
Hey, can anyone pm me with the name and location of that Diesel mechanic you found? I'd like to utilize his services for my 3B. Thanks,
WAFJ40 (with a BJ60 3B engine and H55F transmission in my FJ40)

Generally I do not encourage people to rebuild these engines when there are lots of examples around that are in good shape and can be purchased for much less than the cost to rebuild.

I have a couple of 3Bs here that have tested to be in good shape - in one case the odometer is at 4xx,xxx Kms and it's got 480 to 510 psi compression still. No blue smoke, runs like a champ and only needs a few gaskets.

I have another that one that's from a BJ70 that only has 237,000 kms... needs a few seals and gaskets, but runs very well.

So why spend as much as $1000 per cylinder rebuilding when you can get a good one for much less?

~John

Compression and no smoke are not the final word on the condition of a high mileage 3B. Mine has over 460K kilometers on it. Pulled the pan to fix some rust holes and found metal in the pan. A closer look found one of the cam bearings went south at some point. There was no indication of a problem. My engine runs great, no smoke and has lots of power and has the required minor leaks. Unfortunately it's coming out tommorow for lots of maintenance.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom