3B diesel - California Emissions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, has anyone been able to successfully register and title an imported diesel powered land cruiser from 1980-1989 year range in California without having to smog test it?

If you register the vehicle as "antique" does it still have to go through emissions?

There is no smog required in ca 1998 and below. However, registrating a diesel cruiser is a challenge in california. Some have done it, but it depends on who is behind the counter at dmv!

There is no smog required in ca 1998 and below. However, registrating a diesel cruiser is a challenge in california. Some have done it, but it depends on who is behind the counter at dmv!

That's what I am wondering if someone who has done it, how did they get it done. I hear they ask you to show a "US Emissions Label" .... if the vehicle is imported from outside of the US how can it have a "US" emissions label?

Go title it in another state run it a few years then try to get it in CA. Any title issued and then sent to CA DMV with less than 18 months registration is a automatic flag for the CA DMV.

Go title it in another state run it a few years then try to get it in CA. Any title issued and then sent to CA DMV with less than 18 months registration is a automatic flag for the CA DMV.
I imported a 1980 BJ40 and had it tested/ modified at a certified California Air Resource Board lab in order to get it registered . It worked but its very expensive. After that there is never a requirement for a smog check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom