327 or 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just came across a pretty sweet 327 in good running condition. and now i'm considering dropping it in instead of the two bolt 350 i built. how much more hp can i get out of it if i tear into it?
thanks in advance

I personally think the 327 is a much better choice than a two bolt 350. I imagine that a lot of people would disagree with me, but if it weren't much easier/cheaper I would be dropping a 302 or a 351w into my 40 rather than a sbc. Keep in mind that this is coming from a ford guy. I would do the 327 just to be different.

my dad had an old chev pickup with a well built 327 and three on the tree man, what a blast to drive! great engine. and my uncle is building a 37? ford hotrod with a 327. I'd get one for my cruiser.

The 350 is the best choice. 327 were popular swaps years ago when they were easily available, not so easy finding a good 327 that has'nt already been punched out .060. the last rebuild.
350s are by far the most common swap, the cheapest, and easiest. If you slap a ford engine in there you will spend more time broke than wheelin! :)  
Oh, and a 2 bolt main 350 can be built to handle 500 HP, its a misconception people have that a two bolt is weak, not so!

327 is a good block and a good setup, but as stated, not as common or as current as the 350 blocks. Unless you regularly race the vehicle, a 2-bolt main is more than sufficient.

I have a balanced and blueprinted 327 in my 78 fj40. It is a great engine. BUT any extras that you want to add like powersteering pumps, larger water pump, alternators, etc, you have to manufacture your own brackets. The orginal stuff is really scarce. Some brackets can be found in Hot Rod shops, but it is expensive. My reason for the 327 instead of a 350 is a smog issue. My 78 is stamped for a 1965 chev v8. Either a 283 or 327. A 350 puts out to much air volume at idle to meet the calif standard. If I turn the idle down to reduce the air volume then it doesn't pass on the rpm side. So I am stuck with the 327 until I don't have to get it smogged any longer. My advice is to use the 350. Have it balanced and spend some time printing out the clearances. My orginal 283 had 173,000 miles before I put the new engine in. The 283 was still running strong, but couldn't pass smog anylonger

Also, the 327 stroke is 1/4" shorter than the 350 (same bore). Not sure, but I think there is some sacrifice to low end torque because of it. Don't know if the difference is noticeable.

wheelie,

Sell the 327 to some poor SOB that needs it to be correct in whatever they futzing with. As others have said the 350 will serve you well and somebody out there probably could use that 327 in a big way. 327s are getting thinner and thinner, but not nearly as thin as 64 289 hipo fords with the 5 bolt bell housing.....anybody out there ??? that was a plea ... not for my cruiser...another toy.

A friend of mine had a 327 in his scrambler. He said that as far as cost was concerned, he wouldn't do it again as replacement parts are expensive.

:D 327 or 350 what an interesting subject. Coincidentally, I find myself in the same perdicament. My sexier half offered me the same proposition just the other day. The first thing I though was I was going to get an engine that was a "petunia" compared to his recently rebuilt 350. The more I learn about the 327, the more I believe I was wrong and I like the idea of more horseies. Sorry to have doubted you Babe! Gracie :p

well all, thank's for all the input. but i think i will stick to the 350, and save the 327 fo ra rainy day. or give it to my kid, i would hate to see my swettie get the short end of the stick! so not to worrie gracie, your petunia will have mucho horsies when i get done with it. and i know how you love to ride the wild pony:)
wheelie

In response to:
A friend of mine had a 327 in his scrambler. He said that as far as cost was concerned, he wouldn't do it again as replacement parts are expensive.
This is an AMC motor, not a Chevrolet, Very limited production,

the 350 is the better choice i had a 283 in mine and it ran strong but i had to make all brackets to work the alt and power steering besides you can't beat the cubes :D

I personally think the 327 is a much better choice than a two bolt 350. I imagine that a lot of people would disagree with me, but if it weren't much easier/cheaper I would be dropping a 302 or a 351w into my 40 rather than a sbc. Keep in mind that this is coming from a ford guy. I would do the 327 just to be different.
Same here-My dad has a '96 Bronco with 60k miles, 4x4, and a 351 and it GOES! For a big suv its faster than anything else I've driven, pulls my 40 at 80mph with no trouble and wheels pretty good for a all stock 4x4. But it would be a PITA to install. :'(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom