300 series vs 200 series, first impression (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm spending this week with a new 300 series land cruiser. Since not much is out there, thought I'd compare it with the 200 series I currently own.

In summary: Besides a few major faults, the 300 is better in almost every drive metric.

Longer explanation:
First, I have to say this is not a fair apples to apples comparison, as both vehicles are different trim levels for our market.

The 2020 200 series is considered the full option VX-R trim, with AHC and the 5.7 v8 engine, which was the biggest engine option.

The 2022 300 series is a GX-R trim, powered by the venerable 4.0 v6 1GR-FE (Non turbo version) which is the smaller engine version.

300 series Pros:
First thought in driving the 300, I was pleasantly surprised on how the vehicle picks up and go. Being a 5th gen 4Runner owner, and driving a Prado as a company vehicle (all same engines as the 300) I can only imagine that Toyota has tweaked it in a way to squeeze more midrange somehow. Acceleration was surprisingly good and smooth all they way to highway speeds. The weight savings are showing clearly here, and I'm sure the turbo version would be quite impressive.

Cockpit and buttons layout is nice and surrounds the driver.

Cabin is definitely better isolated than the 200, with less road noise despite both having large 20 inch wheels.

Bumps and road imperfections were absorbed effortlessly and quietly despite this being a normal suspension setup vs the complex, AHC in my 200 series. Although rear shocks seems to be a bit too soft on larger bumps.

Finally the 300 has an entertainment system that feels like a 2018 model vs the 2008 feeling unit from the 200 series. Will not win any awards, but more than adequate for modern use. Android auto and Apple carplay worked great.

New Offroad goodies: 300 now has standard rear locking diff and a revised crawl control with DAC as standard for this lower trim. The 200 series came with only one of either of the two options depending on the model year. My 200 series only has crawl control as standard.
Higher trim 300 series even get a front locking differential option. Good job Toyota!

I did a quick offroad session in the deep sand, and the 300 would really shine here with the weight savings. For dune bashing, I'd stick with the lower trim that doesn't get all the bumper aero bits and has smaller 18 inch wheels though.

300 series Cons:
Main problem: Driver seat knee area width and seat bottom width is HORRIBLE. Also steering wheel adjustment isn't great height wise. Feels much tighter than the 200 series and even feels more cramped than the smaller 150 series Prado I use for work. I'm 200lbs 5' 8 so can't imagine how a bigger guy would feel comfortable driving long distance in this seat space. I drove for an hour today and felt like I needed to stretch my legs from the cramped space.
Still trying to move the seat around to try and get used to it.. not working for me so far.

Smaller fuel tank. Yes I know it's weight savings, but overall range took a hit.

Shaky hood at highway speed. Yes it's only aesthetics, but don't expect to see this when I'm paying for the top dog Toyota.

A/C fan is a tiny bit weaker than the 200, but still very cold.

Although the vehicle is equipped with a GPS unit, there is no navigation map system. Silly step back from the 200 series. Why? No idea..

Overall my first impression is that the new 300 series version is 2 steps forward, one step back.. I still have a few days left with it, so will see if I can adjust better. The tight knee space is a real deal breaker so far for me. I ahd another family member test drive the 300 for a day and they had the exact same comment

20220517_162745~2.jpg

@borfoo3 Which one would you rather camp out of in the boonies for an extended period of time?
Stock for stock, the 300.. mainly due to the larger boot space due to seats folding under the floor. The 200 still wins for aftermarket mods, but that will change with time.

Updating this thread for final thoughts.

The uncomfortable knee width in the driver seat is a deal breaker for my case (dad also tried, same issue for him). Same issue persists with the passenger seat. Foot well is also cramped. Anything above hip height was ok, but doesn't feel as roomy as other vehicles this size. I find myself wanting to take the 200 series keys every day I have a longer drive in mind.

Surprise here is that I am used to smaller cars (owned Audi A4/ S3, and Subaru WRX, which are much smaller cars) and never faced such an issue. In fact, they feel roomier than the 300 series for knee and foot areas.

Other than the above, the 300 has been great. Cons are still that A/C is weaker, Lane departure is very annoying and has to be disabled again every time, and rear camera still sucks.

On the upsaide: The updated infotainment system, better rear boot space and 3rd row seats in floor, and smooth drive characteristics are solid upgrades and are very noticeable.

End of the day: I'm keeping the 200 series and returning the 300 tomorrow. Maybe drop back for a test after the facelift.

Two thumbs down for lack of split tailgate. The sport looks like it has a split tailgate, but it doesn't.
One thumb up for flat folding rear seats. Everything else is pretty par/even. So doing the math that leaves only one thumbs up remaining. More to follow after my test drive in a few weeks.

I'm still two thumbs down for the single piece tail gate
Substantial weight savings were paramount for this vehicle due to the engine and need to increase performance over the previous generation.

So
  1. Aluminum body panels
  2. One piece tail gate.
(campers be damned)

Geez - major fail. 14 years for refinement and the legroom ends up unnecessarily cramped.
Have you driven one yet? When I drove the LX600 for a few hours a couple of months ago I did not find that to be the case. And I am 6’3” with size 14 shoes. My son, same size, had no issues in the second row. But each of us have different leg to height ratios so that will be a factor.

I am sure someone in the middle east will make a split tailgate kit of some sort.

I've taken the 300 apart and have seen it inside and out. I'm shocked it has a land cruiser badge on it.

It's flimsy
What’s flimsy about it? Any pictures? Why did you take it apart?

What’s flimsy about it? Any pictures? Why did you take it apart?

Nearly every body panel you touch would have some give to it. The hood and doors give the fastest.

It's nice on the inside though. You can call it a facelifted 200 on the inside.

But overall a disappointment to the brand. Compared to the 200, the 300 has way to many sensors and modules. Too many things could go wrong.

Although they market it going offroad and doing off-road things, it really belongs on highways.

Losing over 400 lbs compared to the 200 has got to come from somewhere. Everything got thinner.

exactly

Nearly every body panel you touch would have some give to it. The hood and doors give the fastest.

It's nice on the inside though. You can call it a facelifted 200 on the inside.

But overall a disappointment to the brand. Compared to the 200, the 300 has way to many sensors and modules. Too many things could go wrong.

Although they market it going offroad and doing off-road things, it really belongs on highways.

exactly
Yes the panels do feel they've been 'shaved' to shed weight.. Also, the chassis is lighter by means of new structural adhesives and laser welds vs traditional overlapping beams and panels.. This all sounds good on paper, but time will tell if it actually holds up to the durability bar set by the 200 series.

Extra bodywork and fancy electronics will eventually fail, unfortunately same issue exists with the 200 series.

I have to admit despite my short test period, the 300 was a beast off-road. Added lightness and the massaged 4wd system seem to work better in the new platform.

Yes the panels do feel they've been 'shaved' to shed weight.. Also, the chassis is lighter by means of new structural adhesives and laser welds vs traditional overlapping beams and panels.. This all sounds good on paper, but time will tell if it actually holds up to the durability bar set by the 200 series.

Extra bodywork and fancy electronics will eventually fail, unfortunately same issue exists with the 200 series.

I have to admit despite my short test period, the 300 was a beast off-road. Added lightness and the massaged 4wd system seem to work better in the new platform.
Sounds like the same arguments people made when the 100 came out, the 200 came out, …

They shaved 1lb off of the rear lower control arm.
200 series 7.6lbs
300 series 6.6lbs
The only way they would weigh less is because they used thinner wall tubing.

20220618_112343.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom