3 Speed Tranny/Trans Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't know how many people have pulled these apart, but I have a question for those who have. In my endless quest to fix that whine, I have had the tranny trans apart recently. I noticed that when reassembling the tranny output shaft through the transfer case, where you slide on the drive and PTO gears (then out through the back of the transfer case) the two drive gears have about a 1/4 inch of freeplay between them. Going to the chassis manual, in the text, I found that it says to place the 2 spacers on the shaft as well as the gears when reassembling.

Now, I have no spacers that fit there. The exploded view in the manual doesn't show spacers there, and the Specter catalog neither shows nor mentions them. But, with the obvious 1/4 inch of space, it seems there may be a lot of potential for gear movement (and, of course, whine) there! So, any of you experts out there know about this? Are there spacers and where can I get them? THANKS.

One of the spacers may be for the PTO gear if it is not installed. The other spacer is for the backside of the shaft after the bearing before the nut. Should be around 2" long. I dont see how you can have any slop in there once tight.

I understand what you are saying, but there is no spacer inside next to the PTO gear, and it leaves a 1/4 inch of slop on the shaft for the PTO gear. Never was one in my box, and I can't find an illustration, and therefore a part number. Do you know what it looks like? I have the spacer and lock tab for the rear beyond the bearing.

Does it all line up correctly when the nut is torqued down on the shaft? If I remember correctly the bearing slides in the housing to make up any slop between the gears. I know the location you mention but i have never seen that spacer. I would assy it and see what it looks like then.

The drive gear (diagonal teeth) lines up nicely where it is supposed to. The teeth keep it lined up. I guess the PTO gear lines up, since the PTO drive appears to work correctly, but since the teeth are horizontal, they could slide back and forth a quarter inch and still work the drive. I suppose maybe the rear bearing could be forced inward/forward into the housing to snug up the gears, unless there is a limiter ring like the transmission has. I just don't recall now that I have it together. Guess I am not crazy since you don't know of a spacer. It just bugs me that the chassis manual text refers to it, and now I have a place for it. :-\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom