3.slow. No.. REALLY slow... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tigerstripe40

SILVER Star
Threads
I was driving up a street near my apartment this morning to go to work.
The street is really steep.
Anyhow, I rev the engine, dump the clutch, and I start up the hill and then the engine dies.

Anyhow, to get over this hill I have to put the truck in low range and go up and over in first gear. If I shift to second, it dies.

Also, taking off in first gear is SLOW unless I rev the @#$@ out of the engine and then slowly let out the clutch.

Info:
truck has 218,000 miles.
New OEM timing belt, new OEM distributor cap and rotor, new OEM plugs, new OEM wires.

There is a known rod knock.

Also, there is no check engine light.
The truck passed emissions without problems.

any ideas?

Thanks!

Fuel delivery system or plugged air filter. Could be (depending on the year) a bad MAF sensor, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, clogged air filter, bad pressure regulator, cracked fuel line, or plugged up pickup sock. I'd test the fuel pressure and the filter first. ALso, did it do this before you tuned it up?? could be a timing issue.
good luck,
Dan

KliersLC said:
Fuel delivery system or plugged air filter. Could be (depending on the year) a bad MAF sensor, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, clogged air filter, bad pressure regulator, cracked fuel line, or plugged up pickup sock. I'd test the fuel pressure and the filter first. ALso, did it do this before you tuned it up?? could be a timing issue.
good luck,
Dan

Its a 91.

yeah it did all of this before the tune up.

Checking FSM for fuel pressure check process.
Thanks!

Last edited:
also could be low compression (bad rings, head gasket....)

are the tires the stock size or are they bigger? When i put the bigger tires on my 93 pu it bogged it a little. Not to the point you are talking about but the difference is noticeable.

lunyou

Lunyou - I have the stock 31" tires.

I did a few things today
compression check
fuel pressure check
itming check.

Compression was OK

2 - 120
4 - 135
6 - 140

1 - 150
3 - 30 (yes, 30)
5 - 145

So I have a dead cylinder
Also, I checked the timing.
It was WAY off.
After I adjusted the timing, the truck has alot more power, but the rod knock is more noticable.

Looks like I know what next!

where were you at, what were you asking, what is it that you have again?

Email me

:) LOL

HI^C said:
where were you at, what were you asking, what is it that you have again?

Email me

:) LOL

Salt Lake City, Utah

I was asking why I am not making power. Now I know.

I have a 1991 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6

E-mail sent.

I'm betting you have a 2.5L V6, which is a one dead cylinder 3.0 engine....

chuck it and replace with a vortec....

bk

i thought you had a pickup sorry bout that.

My wifes 91 4runner has 31x10.50s on it and it has absolutly no guts. It will take off on hills and everything but when you mash the gas it seems to slow down before speeding up. We replaced the transmission and it seemed to help(the old one was bad) and it needs new spark plugs so that could be my problem.

What is the easiest way to check compression? I might have that problem too.

lunyou

lunyou said:
i thought you had a pickup sorry bout that.

My wifes 91 4runner has 31x10.50s on it and it has absolutly no guts. It will take off on hills and everything but when you mash the gas it seems to slow down before speeding up. We replaced the transmission and it seemed to help(the old one was bad) and it needs new spark plugs so that could be my problem.

What is the easiest way to check compression? I might have that problem too.

lunyou

My dad owns a compression check gague.
That's what I used.

Getting the #5 spark plug in and out is the hardest part.
That thing is a b_____

lunyou said:

lunyou

lunyou,

Was the tranny swap worth the expense? I may have some issues with mine and have been debating on replacing the tranny and motor on my 93 4Runner. (190K when the motor gave out).

I love this truck, but not sure if I should bother with it at this point.

well it wasn't worth the expense but it was a nececity(SP) the transmission was going bad so i had to replace it. I didn't replace it just for the possible added performance. The main thing i notice now is that i can keep my speed going up hills. Before i would bog down terribly.

Im going do change the plugs, fuel filter, possibly the dist. cap and rotor, and check on another few things to see if that would help. I just don't think that it is performing up to its potential. There is no way a esteemed company like toyota would put out a vehicle with this little get up and go.

How much do compression gauges cost? Are they expensive?

lunyou

you can get a gauge from sears for about $25. or, they also put out a kit that can do multiple motors (different spark plug sizes) from the same place for about $50. i was given one about 10 years ago and only used it once to diagnose a blown head gasket. has been happily rusting away ever since... borrow one. ;p

e

Auto-Zone or Checker has them for free.

If you bring them back when done, that is...

Question: check the valves? Wouldn't be the first time 30psi magically came up to 150+... Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom